“Won't stay here again.”

Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kaneohe
Reviewed March 3, 2014

It is funny. I am reading the other happy reviews and I feel a little guilty not liking this resort at all. I just can't get past the unkepted neighborhood that you need to drive through to get to this resort. I thought that maybe we took a wrong turn driving to the resort.

I was expecting to see the beautiful view in the ads, but the view that we had was of a very dirty and muddy lagoon, a haven for mosquitoes. And I did get eaten alive by those nasty critters during our stay. If you drive along the coast, you can find the view in the photo, but this is not what we saw from our room.

The room with the kitchenette was lovely and clean. The bed was comfortable. Unfortunately, they have a dried grass mat on the ceilings. So if you are allergic to grass, this creative touch can make for an uncomfortable stay especially when coupled with being awakened around 5 a.m. to sounds coming from above of luggage being dragged across the floor.

The entire stay I kept thinking that we could have stayed at a much nicer place for the money we paid.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 12Safari
Steve R, General Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Aloha, Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We do agree that our location is hidden in a residential neighborhood; being on Matson's Point overlooking Kaneohe Bay - we are one of the only hotels/resorts on the Windward side of the island. I admit that sometimes the water right in front of our waterfront cottages can be muddy or murky after heavy rains due to run-off. However, a short boat ride or kayak trip from our dock takes guests immediately out into the clear blue waters. My entire Team joins me in doing everything to make each guests' experience memorable, and we all hope that you do decide to give us another chance if your travel plans bring you back to the Windward side of Oahu. Mahalo!

Reviewed February 28, 2014

I don't know how we found this tiny little resort, it must have been through a random google search but we were not expecting too much going into it. After spending 7 days on the Big Island at the nice but incredibly "touristy" King's Land by HGVC, it was like a breath of fresh air to stay at the Paradise Bay Resort. While many tourists come to Hawaii expecting the best in accommodations, shopping, sightseeing, etc, my husband, myself and our 20 month old came to see the real Hawaii, and that is what this resort is blessed with!!

As the resort was recently taken over by new owners, they are still in the process of updating the resort in certain areas. The drive here from Honolulu airport was fantastic - mountains and rainforest views everywhere, and a great drive through the tunnels and small towns surrounding it. I don't understand the reviews from people on here saying the areas surrounding the resort were "questionable"… folks this is the real Hawaii, not your Gucci and Coach inspired stores of Honolulu and Waikiki! In fact, every day my husband, our 20 month old and myself took a long walk throughout the neighbourhood right down to the nearby beach (literally 2 minutes away) and the people and homes were fine, even stopping us to chat every day.

Our accommodations were perfect. We staying in a 1-bedroom King Bay-view suite. 5-star? No but modern, very clean, cozy and with a mountain/bay view to die for. Quite nice! In fact, for the deal we got on the room we were expecting way less, so we were really surprised by how nice it was. It had a kitchenette, which was perfect if travelling with kids! Plus you cannot beat waking up to the peaceful sound of the birds each morning. Sidenote - our lanai was very large and closed in along the bottom, so our son was able to play with his toys outside each morning and evening without us worrying if he would fall through.

There is no beach here per say…As I mentioned before, you can walk to the local beach 2 minutes away or drive to any other beach within 10 minutes in any direction. There is a pool and a hot tub, both we went in only once as our son isn't into swimming in the pool quite yet. The bay however flows right in front of the resort. The water is perfect…it was so calm and you could paddle out right into the ocean (which we did with our son on board - who is scared of water). You can rent a paddle board or just use the kayaks from the hotel for free. They also have 2 large floating docks to chill on, whether you would like to have your morning breakfast, lunch or supper on, fish or just suntan all day!

There is free and delicious breakfast every morning, and it varies each day. There is a supper you can attend on Wednesdays and one on Fridays, which includes appetizers, 2 mai-tais, live entertainment including a hula dancer and a fire-dancing on the dock - it was fun and the food was fresh and delicious.

Also on Saturdays is a boat ride that takes you to the sandbar in the middle of the ocean and snorkelling. The guides were FABULOUS - and we have done many of these same type of excursions before. This had to be the best tour we have done in a long time. My only complaint…we hoped it would have lasted longer than 2 hours! Other than that there really isn't much else to do at the resort, but again, you are in an area that is within 10 minutes of the Polynesian centre, 20 minutes from Waikiki, 30 minutes from Pearl Harbor and 5-10 minutes from many beaches/state parks, most which were empty half the time anyways…In a state that charges ridiculous amounts of money for every excursion and item you buy, you have all these things for free around you...what more can you ask for in Hawaii?!

Most important thing about the Paradise Bay Resort had to be the service. This was unbeatable. From the people staying at the resort themselves to the workers and the owners. They were so eager to always help you out, talk to you, give advice as to where to go, etc. Tom was especially wonderful…my son couldn't stop chasing the cats and every day he would find Sammy for him to come and pet!

We were so blessed to have been able to find this little piece of heaven in the middle of the Hawaiian Islands, and had it not been for staying here, I don't know if we would have come back to Hawaii, being the islands are so commercialized now (last time I was there had to be over 20 years ago). The Paradise Bay Resort changed our minds and this will definitely be the first place we book next time we choose to come to Hawaii again!! Thank-you for a wonderful end to our holiday!

Room Tip: Go with a 1-Bedroom or 2-Bedroom bay-view room, or an overwater room…they had some of the best views...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank RMCW

Aloha! Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Paradise Bay Resort. We are so happy that you enjoyed your room and our location, and even more so your kind comments about our staff. We pride ourselves on our True Hawaii Aloha Spirit, and do everything we can to make each guests' experience memorable. I will pass your kudos along to Tom at the Front Desk, and let Sammy the cat know that your son misses him. My Team joins me in looking forward to welcoming you back to Paradise. Mahalo!

Reviewed February 25, 2014

My husband and I had a wonderful experience with the 5-night honeymoon package. It is clear the owners have been upgrading the property and our private waterfront cottage was practically like brand new. It is a quaint location that takes you away from the business of Honolulu and Waikiki but is a quick drive to most places you may want to go. The staff went out of their way to assist us with anything we asked of them and the massage therapists, Gwen and Holly, they sent to us were fantastic (and we are regular 'massagees' so we were pleasantly surprised). I'm sure we're biased slightly by paying for the 'best room in the place' but I would recommend the resort for anyone wanting to get away from main beaches.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Danah H
Reviewed February 24, 2014

My husband and I recently moved to Hawaii, and we stayed at paradise bay resort for about a month until we found a house. The staff was amazing! Everyone, housekeepers, desk staff, and management made us feel welcome and appreciated. They were all knowledgeable and helpful and we would have been absolutely lost if not for their wisdom and advice!

The hotel is nestled in a neighborhood, and to my surprise, the locals were extremely friendly and welcoming too!

Whether you're planning a 4 day or a 4 week stay, this is the perfect place!

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank VA2HI
Reviewed February 16, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 5 days and 4 nights. Our room was clean and had everything we needed for our stay. Although it being small, still a great place to lay our heads at night. The staff were very polite and helpful when we needed anything. The breakfast and coffee were very satisfying and filling. I would definately come back.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Izzyg1
Reviewed February 16, 2014

The hotel area is very nice, with buildings spread around the property. There are kayaks for the guests with easy access to a bay with really beautiful views. The rooms are OK, with a small kitchenette and all facilities. The disadvantage of the basic rooms is that they have no view and are a little bit tight. Breakfast on the other hand offers a great view of the mountains. However, the food is rather low quality and there is not so much choice. Location is very convenient for sightseeing of the East Coast, shopping around Kanehoe with Honolulu also quite easily reachable. Overall, OK choice.

Room Tip: Better pay for the higher class to have nicer views.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank malinowynet

Aloha! Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. We do our best to explain at booking about our different room and view categories; each room is unique here. For guests that plan to spend a lot of time at the resort, and make use of their lanai and enjoy the views we definitely recommend our higher category of room. However, we do know that many guests spend most of their days out exploring, either with one of our kayaks, on one of our guided tours in the area, or on their own in a rental car. They often find staying in a lower category room is fine, and enjoy the views from our breakfast area, or on our floating docks. We are making some changes to our breakfast menu, and also adding at least one more dinner night of the week as well. My Team joins me in hoping you come back and visit us at Paradise Bay Resort. Mahalo!

Reviewed February 2, 2014

My husband and I LOVED this place, but if you are a stuck-up, must have all things cleaned at all times with expensive, faux, poorly made but somehow ascetically pleasing to the masses taste, don't come! We had a room right on the water and it IS MURKY - it is a BAY, and lovely: a canal connects the bay to the houses there and the mangroves have their roots all around you. The snorkeling trip was perfect and the dance performance made me so happy as a retired professional dancer, a little rough at times, and that is better than over produced poo! In the morning you can sit on the deck (they call it a lanai there) and listen to the very loud birds. If you do not like nature DON'T COME! I myself LOVED IT! I LOVED ALL OF IT. If you do come know that the only good food we found was at the Poi Factory up the street on 83. The place is so relaxing and close to some of the best beaches Hawaii has. Bed was wonderful and I don't use AC, especially in a place as temperate as Hawaii. I also never have housecleaning even when I stay for 4 days or more, really, I know how to clean up after myself and lets save some resources people….

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank lizzcannon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kaneohe
Waikiki
The Modern Honolulu
The Modern Honolulu
#7 of 84 in Honolulu
Prince Waikiki
#1 of 84 in Honolulu
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku

Been to Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii? Share your experiences!