“Good hotel with very convenient location”

Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kaneohe
Leuven, Belgium
“Good hotel with very convenient location”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

The hotel area is very nice, with buildings spread around the property. There are kayaks for the guests with easy access to a bay with really beautiful views. The rooms are OK, with a small kitchenette and all facilities. The disadvantage of the basic rooms is that they have no view and are a little bit tight. Breakfast on the other hand offers a great view of the mountains. However, the food is rather low quality and there is not so much choice. Location is very convenient for sightseeing of the East Coast, shopping around Kanehoe with Honolulu also quite easily reachable. Overall, OK choice.

Room Tip: Better pay for the higher class to have nicer views.
2 Thank malinowynet
Steve R, General Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Aloha! Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. We do our best to explain at booking about our different room and view categories; each room is unique here. For guests that plan to spend a lot of time at the resort, and make use of their lanai and enjoy the views we definitely recommend our higher category of room. However, we do know that many guests spend most of their days out exploring, either with one of our kayaks, on one of our guided tours in the area, or on their own in a rental car. They often find staying in a lower category room is fine, and enjoy the views from our breakfast area, or on our floating docks. We are making some changes to our breakfast menu, and also adding at least one more dinner night of the week as well. My Team joins me in hoping you come back and visit us at Paradise Bay Resort. Mahalo!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Korean first
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 2, 2014

My husband and I LOVED this place, but if you are a stuck-up, must have all things cleaned at all times with expensive, faux, poorly made but somehow ascetically pleasing to the masses taste, don't come! We had a room right on the water and it IS MURKY - it is a BAY, and lovely: a canal connects the bay to the houses there and the mangroves have their roots all around you. The snorkeling trip was perfect and the dance performance made me so happy as a retired professional dancer, a little rough at times, and that is better than over produced poo! In the morning you can sit on the deck (they call it a lanai there) and listen to the very loud birds. If you do not like nature DON'T COME! I myself LOVED IT! I LOVED ALL OF IT. If you do come know that the only good food we found was at the Poi Factory up the street on 83. The place is so relaxing and close to some of the best beaches Hawaii has. Bed was wonderful and I don't use AC, especially in a place as temperate as Hawaii. I also never have housecleaning even when I stay for 4 days or more, really, I know how to clean up after myself and lets save some resources people….

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank lizzcannon
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed January 18, 2014

The photos shown on Paradise Bay's website are from the most expensive rooms. We paid over $200 a night for a studio which seemed reasonable but I was disappointed that we had no view. We did have a small table set amongst beautiful trees and plants. The studio had a full-sized refrigerator, a two-burner 'stove , sink and all the rest you'd expect to find in a kitchenette. We stayed five nights and were satisfied with service to the room. The first surprise was a lovely lanai for breakfasts with a variety of food to suit most tastes. I tried the turkey bacon and vegan sausage and found them to be very good. Of course the papaya and pineapple were abundant. They provided coffee and tea beginning at 6:00am and it was really beautiful sitting there watching the mountains across the bay become more and more distinct and listening to the loud morning calls of the birds. I loved that. The second surprise was how enjoyable was the mai'tai-music-fire-hula presented (for $25) one of the evenings. Lots of hors d'oeuvres (some better than others but many to choose from), plentiful mai-tais, and a personable male singer who also kept us entertained with his good humor. Then we went down to the floating dock where a fierce but equally funny native Hawaiian chief-to-be presented us with an impressive fire show and also made us all laugh and have a good time. In the interim a beautiful young woman did a hula and then told us about one of the native plants and how important it is to her culture. All-in-all well worth more than $25. Another beautiful surprise was sitting on the floating dock around 6:15pm as the sun set looking out across the bay at Chinaman's Hat and listening to the incessant and enchanting raucous of the birds as they began quieting down for the night. So the odds and ends were really really nice but the resort is overpriced in my opinion. We did some grocery shopping but ended up going north to Haleiwa each day and eating there as it was a nice drive and we found we liked the north shore better than the Kaneohe and Kailua areas. The Paradise Bay Resort seems to be the only place to stay on that side of the island that isn't a room in someone's home. I hope I'm wrong. There should be options. I recommend the resort but only if the objections are not a problem. I would imagine if you wanted to spend a lot more you would get a view of the bay as in the resort's photos.

Room Tip: We were in Room 21, a studio.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Janlett
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I was looking for a quiet pleasant place to spend 2 days between very long flights from Asia to mainland U.S. This is it! Staff very knowledgeable and helpful. A low key place on an inlet leading to Kaneohe Bay, where you can just sign out a snorkel outfit (first class!) and kayak for the day. Pretty pool. Everything tastefully appointed and CLEAN! Very complete kitchen (just missing conventional oven). Fine breakfast buffet. Dinner served only on Wednesday was affordable and good. There are no extra services (no all day cafe or shop) but I didn't need them. I would stay here again. Other guests pleasant (no rowdies!). Families find they can meet here, there are so many units. My studio was a very large room; I had a balcony with gorgeous view of mountains.

Room Tip: Get a balcony and/or view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank mootie2
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

My husband, baby son, and I went to Oahu for a work conference/family vacation in early November. My husband's job paid for 2 days of our lodging, and chose Paradise Bay Resort because it was close to where we needed to be. We called the resort to book one additional night and were quoted a price of $180. We tried to pay over the phone, but we were told that wasn't possible. The night before we arrived, we called to confirm and again tried to pay, but were denied.
Well when we checked in, the price magically changed to $280/night. And surprise, there is a $25/day resort fee, which is not mentioned or charged when you book the room. We tried explaining how we were quoted $180, but weren't allowed to pay over the phone, but they didn't care. So once we paid the higher price, taxes, and resort fees for the days work paid for, it came to almost $500 for one night.
We tried to keep a good attitude. The grounds are nice and the room seemed ok at first, although it smelled incredibly musty. There was construction happening in the room next door and we soon realized we were underneath the dining area, which was set up early in the morning, so it was very noisy.
I'm not sure what exactly the resort fee covered. Breakfast was stale carbohydrates, fake eggs, and vegan sausage...? Paddleboards were $35 if you wanted to use them. The pool had one floodlight that went on for about 10 seconds, then you were in total blackness. The hot tub was barely warm and filthy!
Because they are an "ecolodge", there is only maid service on Monday, Wed, and Fri. If they just didn't want to change the linens, I might buy the Eco thing. But there is no reason not to empty the trash or sweep the room. After no housekeeping on Sunday, I made sure we were gone on Mon so they could clean. We got back that evening, and guess what? Still no maid service. When my husband had to take our trash to the front desk and complain, they said they would send someone the next day.
All in all, I felt this place was trying to charge resort prices, while not even providing the most basic of services you get at a bargain hotel. I would definitely avoid at all costs.

• Stayed November 2013
21 Thank heyheyheyak
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed December 19, 2013

We try to be mindful that everyone has their own unique experience while vacationing, HOWEVER we feel as though the negative reviews are truly NOT an accurate description of paradise bay resort. We were here on an extended vacation that started with a stay on Ko'oloni in the Marriott. Obviously the Marriott is the textbook definition of a resort, complete with the spa, the bars, the restaurants, etc. While at the Marriott we stayed in the penthouse on the 17th floor. It was a very nice room. We enjoyed our time there, the staff were fantastic, the food was delicious but having said that, it is a large resort. We wanted to experience Oahu and all that the island offers. We found paradise bay quite by accident, what a wonderful twist of fate for us! This place is (hands down) the best little hidden gem we could have wished for.
We found the staff to be VERY courteous and VERY helpful. The grounds are spectacular, lush and tropical.....quiet.....remote. Our room is heavenly as our lanai is spacious and comfortable. We have utilized the free kayaks and paddled around the bay. I believe that some people come here with the expectation that they can pick up the phone and order room service, be greeted by a bellhop and have valet parking. You won't find that here. What you will find is peace and quiet nestled in a lush garden at the end of a dead end road.....we WILL be returning on an annual basis.

11 Thank Kimberly B
Paradise B, Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Aloha Kimberly,

We are very happy to know that you had a peaceful and relaxing time at our resort. Look forward to having you come back and stay with us soon. Mahalo!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 16, 2013

This property has a few positives, but, overall, I think it was overpriced and the negatives far outweighed the positive aspects. My husband and I spent two nights here as part of a seven night stay in Oahu. The best part of our stay was eating breakfast on the deck where we had beautiful views of the mountains and the bay. Breakfast was adequate, but maybe just a step above what you would find at a Holiday Inn or Best Western. They serve vegan sausage for breakfast. Don't expect real bacon or sausage on the buffet. I'm not sure why is this called a "resort." There is no restaurant. There really is not a spa on site. I guess they bring trainers, masseuses, etc. in if you request it. It is located on a bay with a beautiful distant view. There is no beach and there are no waves on the bay. We had a waterfront cottage located where the canal joined the bay. Our cottage was right next to the water and,at low tide, the mud is very unattractive. The water in the bay is murky - not what you would expect in Hawaii. The property is situated on a muddy canal. It is located in a run-down residential area, although the buildings and landscaping are nice once you enter the gates. I liked the green, brown and khaki-colored buildings, the stone walkways and lush landscaping. It felt very tropical and old Hawaii. The interior of the cottage was decorated with bamboo wainscoting and rattan mats on the ceiling. The flooring was dark wood-toned laminate. With all of this dark trim, some of the walls were painted olive green. The bathroom tiles were dark green and brown slate. All of this just made the cottage very dark and gloomy inside. The rooms are only cleaned three times per week and because we were there for two nights, we did not have any housekeeping. I found a long blond hair on the dark floor and it definitely did not belong to my husband or me, so I wondered just how clean everything else was. We were supposed to have coffee available in the room for our first night, but there wasn't any. I called the desk to ask for my coffee and had to leave a message. No one brought the coffee to our cottage. The next morning when I went to breakfast, I was asked if I was the one who had needed the coffee and I was told I could have it for the second night instead if I wanted to bring it back to the room. There was never any attempt to just deliver the coffee to the cottage. We borrowed the kayak for a trip on the bay, but there was not anyone available to help us launch the kayak. No big deal, but not what I would expect at a "resort." We did not stay out in the kayak very long. I just did not enjoy the dirty looking water in the bay. They offered free use of snorkeling equipment, but you would have to take it to another beach. Upon arrival, the room was hot and very musty. There were two window A/C units which finally cooled the room after a couple of hours. The hotel requests that the A/C be turned off when you leave the room. I understand the concept of energy conservation and I know that energy is expensive in Hawaii, but I just could not bear the thought of having to wait for the room to cool down again. I suspect there is some mold in the building since it is on the water and they don't keep the A/C on. My sinuses were congested for our stay there. I did not find the bed to be very comfortable. I woke up sore and achy both mornings. There was a kitchen in our cottage and it was stocked with a coffee maker, dishes and a few pots and pans. There was absolutely nothing to cook with, though. If you plan to cook, you will need oil, salt, pepper, sugar and cream for coffee, etc. You will also need soap for washing the dishes. Put everything in the refrigerator to keep the bugs out. There are some little crawling gnat-like critters that show up if there is any food around at all. The bathrooms have pedestal sinks. There is a small shelf under the mirror, but really not enough space for hairbrushes, makeup, shaving equipment, etc. This cottage was really over priced. We had spent the previous two nights at Turtle Bay in a beachfront suite for just a little more. There, we had access to several restaurants, room service, a fitness center, a gorgeous beach, live entertainment, a concierge, walking trails, etc. Paradise Bay was a big disappointment.

Room Tip: I just recommend finding another hotel.
14 Thank debbiturk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kaneohe
Waikiki
The Modern Honolulu
The Modern Honolulu
#7 of 84 in Honolulu
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku

Been to Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii? Share your experiences!