“Paradise Found”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kaneohe
Fort Worth, Texas
“Paradise Found”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

My recent stay was memorable in a good way. The view of Kaneohe Bay and the Koolau mountains is fantastic, something you'd only find on a neighbor island. The Balinese/Hawaiian style architecture is very pleasing. Rooms are spacious,superclean, and modern. The staff made me feel like family.

As an added bonus, Friday night has free entertainment and appetizers. The guitarist/vocalist sang all our favorites. Then, the best fire dancer I've ever seen performed and put on a whole show for over an hour. He then hung out and answered all of our questions about Hawaii and the local culture.

On Saturday we cruised on their partyboat to the Kaneohe sandbar which has always been on my bucket list. My daughter tried her hand at standup paddleboarding, while the wife and I used the Kayaks to explore the nearby fishponds.

This was a 5 star experience unmatched by any other resort on Oahu. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Charles H
Paradise B, General Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
We are delighted to learn you enjoyed your time with us!

Paradise Bay Resort is located on a special side of the Koolau Mountain range. Its ridges are so pronounced and much to be enjoyed on a rainy day as well with so many cascading waterfalls. Our views are spectacular.

The sealife surrounding the resort offers frequent pleasant visits from turtles and numerous varieties of fish. Always a highlight for everyone on our Saturday Boat cruise. Glad you were able to try SUP'ing (Stand up paddling) and enjoyed the kayaks!

Happy to know, the Paradise Bay Resort Team made you all feel like family. In our eyes, "You are considered Ohana (family)".

Our mission, "Five star service, Hawaiian style".

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Aloha
Fina Ongoy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Korean first
Southbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

We stayed here for three nights and wished we had booked our entire stay in Oahu here. We had a two bedroom suite which had a full kitchen and was very clean! All the employees were very friendly and accommodating! The facility and grounds are very nicely maintained. We loved how it was set down under and had the floating docks.
The best was using the facilities kayaks and snorkeling equipment to go out to the reefs, go early in the morning right at 8 am and you will see many sea turtles!!! It was the highlight of our trip!
Thank you!

Room Tip: If you are older ask for the rooms that are street level, otherwise ask for the rooms closer to the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha,

Thank you for selecting to stay with us.

Your shared thoughts of your experience is reflective of our goals to provide a relaxing, comfortable, fun filled vacation with the Aloha Spirit surrounding you!

We appreciate you taking the time to write.

Until we meet again....Malama Pono (Take care)

Makakilo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

Stayed with a group of 13 kids and 14 adults. Appreciated the extra effort of General Manager Fina Ongoy in keeping our room accommadations close together and allowing our 30 foot Hawaiian double hull sailing canoe the use of the hotel dock. Ms. Fina your suggestions were very helpful in planning our group stay. Hotel breakfast was delicious, other hotel guest were friendly, staff were very helpful and friendly. The kids enjoyed the pool. The Friday night hotel entertainment, fire dance guy was hilarious. I especially enjoyed the greetings I recieved from pet dogs also staying as guest. One of our rooms was located on the second floor, included a spacious deck with a spectacular view of Kaneohe Bay and Ko`olau mountain range. This room came with a full kitchen and was used as our group eating and staging area. This was my second stay at Paradise Bay Resort and I hope to come back soon. Mahalo Nui Loa Ms. Fina and staff, for your hospitality and aloha spirit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Paradise B, General Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Mahaaaalo! (Thank you)

Your kind words regarding your experience with us is greatly appreciated.

Our #1 goal is to assure the higest level in service and accommodations possible. Please know we are grateful for your stay with us and look forward to your return,

Until we meet again,

Malama Pono (Take care)

replay49
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

We recently completed a one week stay at Paradise Bay Resort. Based on the website, we were ready to “enjoy the luxurious accommodations that await your stay in Paradise.” We opted for a view suite and ended up booking it for a rate that averaged about $305 per night. Sadly, by the end of our stay we were still looking for the luxury in our accommodations.

But before I get into details, I should say that there were some things we did like about our stay. The staff was friendly and the location was ideal for us as our son lives in Kaneohe and we wanted to be close to his home. The lanai was spacious and the view lovely. In fact we spent much of our time there on the lanai. The bed was very comfortable and did have premium linens.

The first unpleasant surprise came when we checked in. We learned that there was a $25 per day “resort fee”. The fee supposedly was for amenities the resort provided, such as pool and hot tub, breakfast, fitness room, use of kayaks, and similar things. Neither of us recalled seeing any mention of the resort fee on their website, so I later took a closer look and found 2 mentions of the fee, buried several mouse clicks down in the fine print. Our $305 per day room was really $330, before taxes.

We got our room key and dragged our luggage down 15 uneven steps and back up another 10 steps to the room. Good thing we are both in reasonably good physical condition.

The room was spacious but hardly luxurious. Further, we understand that the place recently underwent extensive renovations, but with a noticeable lack of attention to details. Each room in the suite was very dark, even with all the lights on. This was especially true of the bathroom, where I found it a challenge to shave without good lighting. The bathroom also had little shelf space. There was a 24” vanity and 2 small 4” wide shelves. There was so little room to store things that my wife ended up inverting the trash can from the bedroom for extra counter space in the bath. Oh, and there was no Kleenex provided.

The kitchen was anything but “fully equipped” as advertised. It would have been hard to prepare a complete meal with what was available. Not even salt and pepper shakers. There was a coffee maker but no filters. We had my son and his family over for dinner and I had to ask him to bring an extra fork as there were 5 of us but only 4 forks. There was no foil, no plastic wrap, no spices, only one dish cloth, but a full roll of paper towels.

Because the resort is “eco friendly”, there was maid service only on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I’m sorry; I don’t consider that eco friendly, but just another way to cheap out. I sort of understand that even in a hot, humid resort that you don’t need to wash your one towel every day, nor change the bed linens, but how about emptying the garbage? We resorted to storing our wet garbage in the freezer to we didn’t attract ants and cockroaches. Again, this policy wasn’t prominent on the resort website.

There was WiFi, but it was almost useless. I ended up doing most of my internet work from my 4g phone because it was faster and wouldn’t drop off the network every few minutes. This was another “service” included in the cost of the $25 resort fee.

They also provided breakfast. It was pretty much the standard fare available at Holiday Inn Express type hotels with the addition of papaya and pineapple. It didn’t vary from day to day.

In summary, we found Paradise Bay Resort to be closer to an economy hotel than a luxurious resort, but with first class resort prices. Before you decide to stay here, but sure to read all the fine print so you know what you are paying and what you are getting for your money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank replay49
Aloha and thank you for staying with us!

I am delighted to know you enjoyed the staff, location, large lanai space as well as the comfortable beds and premium linens. I have passed on your kind words for the staff to enjoy!

In the past year, Paradise Bay Resort has continued to enhance the resort by upgrading services and room amenities. Currently we are completing final touches to all bathrooms regarding shelf space and lighting. Each room is prepared with the appropriate occupancy allowed with an extra 2 additional items to assure guest needs. Above the appropriated preparation, additional needs are communicated to the staff for assistance. Please know, it is my hope you were able to share your concerns with a staff member so we may have been able to assure your comfort. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you again for your comments as it is through guest feedback we are able to improve.

When your travels return you to the islands please feel free to contact me directly for future assistance,

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

If you are looking for a quick walk to everything such as shopping and nightlife then maybe this isn't for you. BUT, if you are looking for the great escape from the grind or just want a romantic get away then this is it! Amazing views, extremely quiet, the staff is super friendly, beautifully landscaped and so many things are within short driving distances that I don't have the space to write them all.

Room Tip: Propane grills are available with a great patio area as well as floating decks.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank hortgirl13
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Yes, you are truly correct, we are a "Great Escape" with amazing views, quiet atmosphere, friendly staff surrounded by beutiful landscaping.

Thank you again for staying with us!

Bellevue, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

Hi to all planning your Hawaiian vacations,

We started our Hawaiian experience on the supposedly quiet windward side which we won't forget anytime soon. Driving in, the hotel is down a ways on a busy (not "quaint") residential street full of trashy yards, chickens, junk vehicles, chickens, ghetto atmosphere, chickens, hanging laundry lines, chickens.... if you would rather believe the hotel staff, I refer you to google street view and type in their address to decide for yourself.

Our room by the parking lot side of a building that looked like an old motel was supposedly completely renovated with a great view. There was a noticeable but small chunk missing from the bottom corner of the front door as I first opened it. The hawaiian-jungle theme decor tried to make the place look okay, but in reality (you don't see this in the misleading advertisement pictures) there is chipping paint, filthy and loud air conditioners, wires and cords everywhere, damp bedding... massive dust came from the fan above the bed. It's miserably humid and insufferably musty 24/7.

Possibly the worst feature of the completely-renovated room were the old dusty jalousie windows that didn't completely close and cause the central issue of the room: SEVERE MOLD. It's a miracle that I was able to make myself sleep in the first place, but my mom woke me up panicking 2 hours later at nearly 2:30 am to literally pull me out of my separate bedroom due to the overwhelming stench. It smelled slightly more in the bedroom, but was of uninhabitable proportions everywhere. So, I try to sleep on the old uncomfortable couch in the living room area, with the deck door open to try to get a little outside air (the outside air was musty and stunk too, though). I couldn't even close my eyes. My mom paced back and forth unable to think, opening windows and doors to no avail. The sounds all around were in addition making it impossible to relaxin any way. A rooster crowed every 5-10 seconds (forget the stereotype that they crow in the morning, they crow ALL NIGHT), dogs barked constantly, cars pulled up inches from the window (no exaggeration), people yelling the next cabin over in the middle of the night, and every exotic bird and dinosaur sound you can possibly imagine and more.

After an hour or so, the mold triggered such asthma-like symptoms and severe headaches that it was impossible to even stand in the room. We stood, exhausted, headache-medicated, on the creaking, wet, dirty back deck for hours looking up hotels until sunrise when we could demand a refund.

Near the morning I attempted to take a shower to freshen up before leaving, which was old and dirty with no shampoo, conditioner, or soap. The bamboo in the bathroom was rotten, chewed up, and had chunks noticeably missing. The window in there was extremely dirty with brown on the molding, and just as the windows in my bedroom, mold literally fell out of the windows when you opened them.

Many reviews on here mention the staff not asking why people demand to leave –– they didn't need to in our case. They were going to hear it anyway. They said at first that they were going to charge a $60 cancellation fee in addition to $300+ for the room. After hearing that my mom had allergies to mold and there was a "medical necessity" to leave, they claimed they would kindly leave off the $60. Well, the $60 showed up on the bill anyway. With a few stray cats by their side, they smirked and said we weren't going to find a hotel anywhere in Waikiki on such short notice. Well, actually, we did, with little effort. The same room was even available for multiple nights.

This place is unbelievably terrible in every way imaginable, and could become the most miserable night of your life for up to $400. Unless you want the full 4-star ghetto-rooster-condemned experience, do not even consider staying here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank Tellitlikeitis411
Paradise B, General Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Aloha,

TThank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay with us.

I sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations. Please know Paradise Bay Resort is located in the country side the ultimate "True Hawaii" vacation experience. Our resort offers the most beautiful natural setting and the best kept secret hide away on Oahu. In the country we are blessed with the natural wild life as well. We have been noted to be a "Outer Island" experience where the environment is pure and true.

Since your stay with us in February 2013, we have launched a "Preventative Maintenance" program (March) highlighting the details of each guest room. Assuring all functions as well as the cleanliness of each room is at its highest level possible.

I appreciate your feedback and taking the time to write.

Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

While the room is nice and the view is pretty, there are several caveats. Because of the way the resort is situated, the common areas are very close to the rooms, which means that if you have your windows open you can hear everything and everyone clearly. So if a group of people decide to be loud well into the night, you can hear it. Also, about 6:30 am the check-in area, which is open air, began playing music. Again, as we had our windows open, and we got to hear it.

The towels were good and the bed and pillows were nice.

As for entertainment, they have a fire and knife show on Friday nights. We thought about going, but when we asked how the long show was we were told 20 minutes. Well, 20 minutes seemed pretty short for the $19 per person price, so we passed. We later found out that the $19 included hors d'oeuvres and a mai tai, as well as pre-show entertainment by a local guitarist. If we had known that, we probably would have signed up, but it was not mentioned to us nor was it posted that the show included these things. I didn’t get an overly welcoming vibe from the staff either, and the guy at the front desk acted offended when I asked if we could see a room before we booked one. Hey, it’s almost $300 a night, I want to see it before I hand over my card! Overall I’m not sure I’d stay here again because of the noise issues – afterall, when in Hawaii, who wants to run the air and close the windows?

Room Tip: I'd skip this place. We only ended up here because of a booking error at another hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank c_juleski
Paradise B, General Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your comments.

Happy to know you enjoyed our towels and bedding amenities.

I was saddened to learn you did not have a quiet stay. It is my hope you were able to share your concerns with the manager on duty for assistance. Quiet time on property is from 9pm -9am.

I apologize we did not clarify our Friday Aloha Night. We share this information as well in each guest room and in our arrival key packets. Room shows are a vital part of our approach in being able to showcase the resort. Please know I have reviewed your comments with our front office team to assure the highest level of service.

Again, thank you for staying with us and despite the inconveniences, I truly hope you enjoyed your time in the islands. If I may assist you in the future, please feel free to call me directly.

Best regards.
Fina Ongoy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kaneohe
Waikiki
The Modern Honolulu
The Modern Honolulu
#4 of 84 in Honolulu
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,788 reviews
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,637 reviews

Been to Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii? Share your experiences!