Hi to all planning your Hawaiian vacations,
We started our Hawaiian experience on the supposedly quiet windward side which we won't forget anytime soon. Driving in, the hotel is down a ways on a busy (not "quaint") residential street full of trashy yards, chickens, junk vehicles, chickens, ghetto atmosphere, chickens, hanging laundry lines, chickens.... if you would rather believe the hotel staff, I refer you to google street view and type in their address to decide for yourself.
Our room by the parking lot side of a building that looked like an old motel was supposedly completely renovated with a great view. There was a noticeable but small chunk missing from the bottom corner of the front door as I first opened it. The hawaiian-jungle theme decor tried to make the place look okay, but in reality (you don't see this in the misleading advertisement pictures) there is chipping paint, filthy and loud air conditioners, wires and cords everywhere, damp bedding... massive dust came from the fan above the bed. It's miserably humid and insufferably musty 24/7.
Possibly the worst feature of the completely-renovated room were the old dusty jalousie windows that didn't completely close and cause the central issue of the room: SEVERE MOLD. It's a miracle that I was able to make myself sleep in the first place, but my mom woke me up panicking 2 hours later at nearly 2:30 am to literally pull me out of my separate bedroom due to the overwhelming stench. It smelled slightly more in the bedroom, but was of uninhabitable proportions everywhere. So, I try to sleep on the old uncomfortable couch in the living room area, with the deck door open to try to get a little outside air (the outside air was musty and stunk too, though). I couldn't even close my eyes. My mom paced back and forth unable to think, opening windows and doors to no avail. The sounds all around were in addition making it impossible to relaxin any way. A rooster crowed every 5-10 seconds (forget the stereotype that they crow in the morning, they crow ALL NIGHT), dogs barked constantly, cars pulled up inches from the window (no exaggeration), people yelling the next cabin over in the middle of the night, and every exotic bird and dinosaur sound you can possibly imagine and more.
After an hour or so, the mold triggered such asthma-like symptoms and severe headaches that it was impossible to even stand in the room. We stood, exhausted, headache-medicated, on the creaking, wet, dirty back deck for hours looking up hotels until sunrise when we could demand a refund.
Near the morning I attempted to take a shower to freshen up before leaving, which was old and dirty with no shampoo, conditioner, or soap. The bamboo in the bathroom was rotten, chewed up, and had chunks noticeably missing. The window in there was extremely dirty with brown on the molding, and just as the windows in my bedroom, mold literally fell out of the windows when you opened them.
Many reviews on here mention the staff not asking why people demand to leave –– they didn't need to in our case. They were going to hear it anyway. They said at first that they were going to charge a $60 cancellation fee in addition to $300+ for the room. After hearing that my mom had allergies to mold and there was a "medical necessity" to leave, they claimed they would kindly leave off the $60. Well, the $60 showed up on the bill anyway. With a few stray cats by their side, they smirked and said we weren't going to find a hotel anywhere in Waikiki on such short notice. Well, actually, we did, with little effort. The same room was even available for multiple nights.
This place is unbelievably terrible in every way imaginable, and could become the most miserable night of your life for up to $400. Unless you want the full 4-star ghetto-rooster-condemned experience, do not even consider staying here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aloha! We are very excited to announce the completion of our room and property renovations. We will continue to enhance the property as other resorts do, however the bulk of work is complete. We appreciate all of the input we received both positive and negative and we have used it to get to the point we are today. We were recently awarded the 2014 TripAdvisor Award of Excellence. We are blessed to be part of what we all consider to be the most beautiful tropical setting in the Hawaiian Islands. Now the property, accommodations and warm staff complement our surroundings. We call ourselves True Hawaii and what does that mean? Our setting reveals the answer. We are located in a panorama of spectacular natural and tropical beauty, from amazing Hawaiian mountain ranges and lush tropical landscape, to beautiful Kaneohe Bay, Chinaman's Hat Island and out to the Pacific Ocean. We border an ancient Hawaiian fishpond surrounded by lush tropical mangroves. The Kahuona Fishpond is one of the last remaining working fishponds and is designated a historical site. We are the only resort property with private access to Kaneohe Bay. Kaneohe Bay hosts the most abundant and diverse sea life and reef system in the Hawaiian Islands and our guests can access it safely right from the resort. Our design fits with the environment and has a contemporary and authentic Hawaiian look and feel. We thank our guests who have stayed with us in the past and helped to support us. We appreciate your patience with the renovations and know you will be delighted on your next stay. The property, guest rooms, new amenities, services and warm staff are here to take care of you. We offer our guests the same entertainment, special Saturday sand bar excursion and we have added a few more; a Friday evening Firedance Show, additional live Hawaiian music and surprise cultural classes. We have added some new things such as; a fitness room, Wi-Fi, on call spa service, new pool and hot tub, new floating lounge areas, conference room, intimate wedding ceremonies and we are pet friendly. We have renovated and upgraded our guestrooms with; new furnishings, artwork, premium pillow top mattresses, luxurious bedding and linens as well as new flat screen TV's and IPod docks.Kayak use is still included and we also have Standup Paddle Boards and private boat charter available. We look forward to seeing you the next time you come to Paradise. Warm Aloha, David and Stephanie Ryan ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets and getaroom.com so you can book your Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii Hotel Kaneohe
- Schraders Windward Country Hotel
- Schraders Windward Country Resort
- Country Inn Kaneohe
- Kaneohe Country Inn
- Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii Kaneohe, Oahu