“Traveler BEWARE: Misleading Moldy NIGHTMARE. *Detailed Review*”

Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kaneohe
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Hi to all planning your Hawaiian vacations,

We started our Hawaiian experience on the supposedly quiet windward side which we won't forget anytime soon. Driving in, the hotel is down a ways on a busy (not "quaint") residential street full of trashy yards, chickens, junk vehicles, chickens, ghetto atmosphere, chickens, hanging laundry lines, chickens.... if you would rather believe the hotel staff, I refer you to google street view and type in their address to decide for yourself.

Our room by the parking lot side of a building that looked like an old motel was supposedly completely renovated with a great view. There was a noticeable but small chunk missing from the bottom corner of the front door as I first opened it. The hawaiian-jungle theme decor tried to make the place look okay, but in reality (you don't see this in the misleading advertisement pictures) there is chipping paint, filthy and loud air conditioners, wires and cords everywhere, damp bedding... massive dust came from the fan above the bed. It's miserably humid and insufferably musty 24/7.

Possibly the worst feature of the completely-renovated room were the old dusty jalousie windows that didn't completely close and cause the central issue of the room: SEVERE MOLD. It's a miracle that I was able to make myself sleep in the first place, but my mom woke me up panicking 2 hours later at nearly 2:30 am to literally pull me out of my separate bedroom due to the overwhelming stench. It smelled slightly more in the bedroom, but was of uninhabitable proportions everywhere. So, I try to sleep on the old uncomfortable couch in the living room area, with the deck door open to try to get a little outside air (the outside air was musty and stunk too, though). I couldn't even close my eyes. My mom paced back and forth unable to think, opening windows and doors to no avail. The sounds all around were in addition making it impossible to relaxin any way. A rooster crowed every 5-10 seconds (forget the stereotype that they crow in the morning, they crow ALL NIGHT), dogs barked constantly, cars pulled up inches from the window (no exaggeration), people yelling the next cabin over in the middle of the night, and every exotic bird and dinosaur sound you can possibly imagine and more.

After an hour or so, the mold triggered such asthma-like symptoms and severe headaches that it was impossible to even stand in the room. We stood, exhausted, headache-medicated, on the creaking, wet, dirty back deck for hours looking up hotels until sunrise when we could demand a refund.

Near the morning I attempted to take a shower to freshen up before leaving, which was old and dirty with no shampoo, conditioner, or soap. The bamboo in the bathroom was rotten, chewed up, and had chunks noticeably missing. The window in there was extremely dirty with brown on the molding, and just as the windows in my bedroom, mold literally fell out of the windows when you opened them.

Many reviews on here mention the staff not asking why people demand to leave –– they didn't need to in our case. They were going to hear it anyway. They said at first that they were going to charge a $60 cancellation fee in addition to $300+ for the room. After hearing that my mom had allergies to mold and there was a "medical necessity" to leave, they claimed they would kindly leave off the $60. Well, the $60 showed up on the bill anyway. With a few stray cats by their side, they smirked and said we weren't going to find a hotel anywhere in Waikiki on such short notice. Well, actually, we did, with little effort. The same room was even available for multiple nights.

This place is unbelievably terrible in every way imaginable, and could become the most miserable night of your life for up to $400. Unless you want the full 4-star ghetto-rooster-condemned experience, do not even consider staying here.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank Tellitlikeitis411
Paradise B, General Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Aloha,

TThank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay with us.

I sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations. Please know Paradise Bay Resort is located in the country side the ultimate "True Hawaii" vacation experience. Our resort offers the most beautiful natural setting and the best kept secret hide away on Oahu. In the country we are blessed with the natural wild life as well. We have been noted to be a "Outer Island" experience where the environment is pure and true.

Since your stay with us in February 2013, we have launched a "Preventative Maintenance" program (March) highlighting the details of each guest room. Assuring all functions as well as the cleanliness of each room is at its highest level possible.

I appreciate your feedback and taking the time to write.

There are newer reviews for Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii

Reviewed May 7, 2013

While the room is nice and the view is pretty, there are several caveats. Because of the way the resort is situated, the common areas are very close to the rooms, which means that if you have your windows open you can hear everything and everyone clearly. So if a group of people decide to be loud well into the night, you can hear it. Also, about 6:30 am the check-in area, which is open air, began playing music. Again, as we had our windows open, and we got to hear it.

The towels were good and the bed and pillows were nice.

As for entertainment, they have a fire and knife show on Friday nights. We thought about going, but when we asked how the long show was we were told 20 minutes. Well, 20 minutes seemed pretty short for the $19 per person price, so we passed. We later found out that the $19 included hors d'oeuvres and a mai tai, as well as pre-show entertainment by a local guitarist. If we had known that, we probably would have signed up, but it was not mentioned to us nor was it posted that the show included these things. I didn’t get an overly welcoming vibe from the staff either, and the guy at the front desk acted offended when I asked if we could see a room before we booked one. Hey, it’s almost $300 a night, I want to see it before I hand over my card! Overall I’m not sure I’d stay here again because of the noise issues – afterall, when in Hawaii, who wants to run the air and close the windows?

Room Tip: I'd skip this place. We only ended up here because of a booking error at another hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank c_juleski
Paradise B, General Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your comments.

Happy to know you enjoyed our towels and bedding amenities.

I was saddened to learn you did not have a quiet stay. It is my hope you were able to share your concerns with the manager on duty for assistance. Quiet time on property is from 9pm -9am.

I apologize we did not clarify our Friday Aloha Night. We share this information as well in each guest room and in our arrival key packets. Room shows are a vital part of our approach in being able to showcase the resort. Please know I have reviewed your comments with our front office team to assure the highest level of service.

Again, thank you for staying with us and despite the inconveniences, I truly hope you enjoyed your time in the islands. If I may assist you in the future, please feel free to call me directly.

Best regards.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

We were very disappointed staying there. Definitely not worth $400/night. First we booked the room for ~250/night + tax; when we looked at the room we refused to stay there - very small, was advertised as a room with a full kitchen, in reality we’ve got the kitchenette with the refrigerator and portable single burner stove. They told us that this room was even an upgrade, that it’s much larger than we originally booked! The room looked exactly as in an older cheap roadside motel. We ended up paying $400/night including taxes for a larger 1 bedroom suite. They claim they remodeled the hotel – in reality the remodeling being done on a very cheap side, everything had so old feel and smell, just freshly painted doors in dark purple color, re-stained kitchen with limited supply of utensils, front drawer in the bedroom chest fell right away, the bathroom was updated a little, but dirty corners and windows, and cheap scratched sink cabinet spoiled the picture. The air conditioner in tiny bedroom was super noisy, the bed was not comfortable, we had hard time to sleep; tried to sleep on lanai, but a lot of mosquitos at night. The website pictures are not reflecting the actual feel of the hotel. There is no swimming beach in close proximity.The things we liked - the huge lanai with the view of Paradise Bay (mud spoils the view when the water is low) and remote residential feel of the location and tropical grounds. But overall feel - that you are not in a resort, but in a cheap motel with no beach or swimming opportunities in walking distance paying $400/night...Also it’s rainy most of the times in this part of Oahu. We might be OK staying in this hotel paying $150-max $200/night. For $1600 we spent for 4 nights we would rather book a nice resort in Waikiki.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Anna D
Paradise B, General Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Aloha and thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

I apologize we did not meet your expectations. Please know I have reviewed your comments and appreciate your feedback. We will continue to strive to assure each guest stay is a pleasant one.

Again, thank you for your comments.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

If you are expecting a 'resort' experience, there is a high chance you will be disappointed. None of the photos on the website show it, but its situated in a mangrove and the views of the ranges are spoiled by the muddy flats of low tide. There is definitely not much in the way of activities - kayaks, a tiny fitness gym and a pool. There are some beach parks nearby, which are good for picnics or walking, but no decent swimming beach for miles. The service wasnt bad, but I RARELY got a smile from the front desk, even when we checked in. Breakfast was disappointing because they make you eat from paper plates and use tacky plastic cutlery - in a place that charges more than $400 a night, I was appalled. The breakfast selection was also VERY limited and no variation day by day.

On the plus side, the rooms were reasonably spacious and the beds comfortable. The fridges were large and kitchens included quality crockery and cutlery. The views from the breakfast room were beautiful. The gardens are well maintained and filled with lush fauna. The pool is a decent size and attractive. You wake in the morning to a cacophony of birds singing. (if only they would light the oil lamps at night in the garden, it would create a beautiful atmosphere). We also found a good local food van down the road which sold fantastic Poke and Lau Lau very cheaply. They have a coin operated laundry. Kaneohe is also situated in the face of he magnificent volcanic ridges.

But with little or no hospitality, the mangrove location, and all of the cost cutting measures even at around $400 a night, we left as if we had paid WAY too much. Ignore the high sounding name of this place, it's no paradise and no resort. Get to Turtle Bay or stay in Waikiki would be my advise.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank James G

Aloha and thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

I am delighted to know you enjoyed the spacious rooms and the quality of our kitchen amenities.
Paradise Bay has been recognized for its lush surroundings and its well-maintained grounds.

Please accept our apologies regarding our short comings. We are currently finalizing our plans to support our ECO friendly goals in providing dishware for our breakfast venue. We have successfully transitioned our Wednesday dinner and Friday Aloha night to dishware.

Activities on property as well as nearby favorites are listed on our key packet given to each guest at check-in. I am saddened to learn we did not communicate this valuable information with you.

On occasion, Mother Nature offers an unusually low tide exposing the reef. Locals and children alike enjoy these times to explore the tide pools for ocean life. As quick as the tide recedes it rises again, a fascinating occurrence to watch.

Please know I appreciate your feedback as it is through guest comments we are able to improve our facilities and service.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Let me start by saying this place does indeed get you away from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki, it does have beautiful views, and the facilities are very well maintained. The rooms are comfortable and clean, the wood gleams, and the grounds are nice, with scattered places to relax. BUT...we were paying nearly 400 dollars per night for the waterfront 1-bedroom suite. These are labelled "waterfront cottages" on the website, but do not be fooled into believing this means you will have your own cottage. Instead, each cottage appears to have four rooms/suites in it (only two of which have water views, but I assume that is made clear when people book the non-water-view rooms). You share a porch with your neighbor--appropriately screened for privacy, but if you are both out enjoying the view at the same time you are only a few feet apart, and conversations can be heard.

For $400 per night you do not have any coffee in the room (a coffee maker, yes--but no coffee, no tea bags, no filters--you must buy or bring even the coffee filters if you want to make coffee in your room), you do not have any bathrobes, and your room only gets cleaned on M, W, F. (This is supposedly to reduce environmental impact, but the resort could do what every other hotel on the planet does and just not replace towels and sheets.) You do get a kitchen area (minimally supplied, with 2 of everything but no more), a comfortable bed and bath, and an indoor seating area as well as the porch area. But I have never paid that much for a room where a few additional amenities (e.g., coffee, bathrobe, daily maid service) are not considered essential parts of the package.

The breakfast is OK (but only OK), and they will not have cream or half-&-half for the coffee, only milk. And, the milk does not come out until about 6:45, though the coffee is out by 6:00. The milk is for cereal, not for coffee, and it must come out in a particular order. The staff is deeply offended if you ask for it earlier, as that is not the right order of things.

While the people who greeted us the first night were quite helpful in getting us checked in and showing us to our room, the service went downhill from there. We were told, for instance, that we could go to a nearby pier and get a ferry out to a local sandbar/reef--not true. I stopped to ask directions to a nearby store and the desk person stopped in the midst of helping me to take a phone call. The call went on for some 7 or 8 minutes before I suggested perhaps she should finish taking care of me, which seemed like a novel and offensive idea. We took the kayak out 3 times, and it was only after we turned it in for the 3rd time that the staff asked "did you see the turtles and manta rays"? Seems there is a spot not too far out where it is easy to see them, but no one thought to mention it earlier.

So...it is beautiful, and the place is well kept up. The rooms are comfortable and quiet, and many have fantastic views. But the service is not great, and you just don't get $400/night worth of quality out of this place.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Ann K
Paradise B, General Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Aloha and thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

We appreciate your kind words regarding our beautiful views, well manitained grounds, comfortable rooms, and great places to relax throughout the property.

To date, Paradise Bay Resort has undergone a major renovation in facility as well as upgrades to amenities and service. We strive daily to assure the highest level of service possible. I have reviewed your comments regarding service with the appropriate manager for action.

The Water Front Cottages are located on the waters edge, the only accomodation of its kind on Oahu and very popular. Rates include added amenities, Continental Breakfast, Fitness Suite,
Wi-FI, Pool/Hot tub, Kayaking, Fire Knife Show, and Snorkeling. We continue to assure room rates provide the best value possible.

Our welcome amenity icludes the makings for your first cup of coffee in your room. Please accept our apologies for our lack of delivery.

In our due diligence to strive to be Eco Friendly, housekeeping service (Refreshing of the room) is provided on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. We are also able to offer additional housekeeping needs upon request.

Breakfast includes a variety of breads/waffles, hot/cold cereals (with condiments), fresh fruits (Sunset Papaya, pineapples, oranges), yogurts, coffee/tea/milk/juice of the day all included in your stay.

It was great to learn you enjoyed the kayaking amenity. Our staff are always eager to know of your possible sightings of ocean life. Turtles and manta rays are known to frequent Kaneohe Bay, but are in no particular spot.

Please accept our apologies for our shortcomings. I sincerely hope your stay on the islands was a pleasant one.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

This place was completely different than Waikiki. It was so quiet and peaceful that it was hard to believe we were less than an hour away.
We really enjoyed kayaking. It was great that they provided life jackets, including kids sizes. The water near the resort was very shallow, and we were able to see lots of tiny fish. We also had a great view of the Chinaman's Hat. The beach area at the resort wasn't great. The sandy area was covered in leaves and tree debris. The kids didn't use their sand toys. They did enjoy the pool and hot tub area. We were always the only ones using it, so it was like a private pool.
There is a lot in the immediate area. We visited the Kualoa Regional Park and drove a bit further up to the Polynesian Cultural Center. The town of Kaneohe was only a few minutes away, and we were able to buy food and prepare meals in our room.
We had a two bedroom suite. There was a full sized and well stocked kitchen and two very nice bedrooms. The bathroom had no tub, but the shower was very large. We enjoyed the little porch we had. If possible, next time I'd request one of the rooms with porches facing the water.
Breakfast was provided. The view from the breakfast room was stunning. It felt like we were eating in the treetops. Breakfast wasn't very fancy, but the selection was fine.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank AlisonJet
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Oahu is so much more than Waikiki--and I remain amazed by the amount of people who never explore the Windward side. This is paradise personified and Pacific Bay is like a romantic retreat!! Yes--it may be difficult to find (in the heart of a residential area) for those unfamiliar with the island but it is sooo worth it.
We had a late arrival following an 11 hour flight and were greeted like long lost friends. The resort is built on a hillside and has multiple levels and beautiful landscaping. We were upgraded to a waterfront cottage that I never wanted to give up. Our view of the mountains was phenomenal. The bay was literally lapping on our pilings at high tide. HUGE bedroom with a king sized bed, HUGE kitchen/living room area, and 2 full baths (one with whirlpool tub) with modern stone and tile work. Spa quality products/plenty of fluffy towels. Best of all was a large and totally private porch complete with screened sliders from both the living and bedroom areas. We slept with the doors open and felt part of nature...so relaxing.
Breakfast is served each morning upstairs adjacent to reception. As stated, the views are fantastic so if you don't have a room with a view--this makes up for it. Coffee, fresh juice, oatmeal with multiple topping choices, waffles/toast, cereal, fresh fruit, and hard boiled eggs. Not sure why others have complained over this.
Free use of kayaks, grills, gym, --the pool was always private and clean. Parking was tight but free and we always found a spot.
Do not be intimidated by the condition of the neighborhood on the way in--some Hawaiians live differently than us stateside--it tends to be more communal and they never throw stuff away so properties can appear unkempt.
We cannot wait to return!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SunnydaysLewes_DE
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kaneohe
Waikiki
The Modern Honolulu
The Modern Honolulu
#7 of 84 in Honolulu
Prince Waikiki
#1 of 84 in Honolulu

Been to Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii? Share your experiences!