“"A little bit of heaven"”

Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kaneohe
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We were guests of the resort from August 15, 2012 thru the 18th.

From check-in to check-out, our stay was wonderful. The staff was amazing, the service terrific, and we always felt welcome. The rooms that we had were wonderful, they were equipped with a refrigerator, a stove top with two burners, and a microwave. Dishes, silverware, pans, were all provided as well as a corkscrew for our wine.

The grocery store was about 10 min away. I really liked being able to have our choice of snack, drinks, and meals if we wanted, with out having to go out once we shopped. This is a great bonus if you are traveling with children as well!

There was a lovely balcony just off the living room that we sat out on had our drinks, and just admired the beautiful view and enjoyed the peacefulness. There was also a dining pub table with four stools just off the kitchen. The living room had a flat screen TV, couch and coffee table.

The coffee, toast, fresh pineapple, oatmeal, juice, boiled eggs and a few other things were always out by 6:30 for the breakfast crowd. There was absolutely nothing to compare to sitting on the breakfast balcony early in the morning and seeing a double rainbow over the amazing view, just spectacular!!

This is a perfect spot for just getting away from it all! Facilities are excellent, comfortable, and clean. . We enjoyed the Wednesday night get together, great food, great company, Mai Tai’s and live entertainment.

This is Hawaii and therefore you expect the scenery to be beautiful and as advertised it was. This little bit of heaven is tucked away in an area that is a little hard to find – But once found it is amazing.
Quiet, tranquil, secluded, peaceful, are a few words that can be used to describe the resort. Will we return? Without question. When? As soon as possible.

Room Tip: Closer to the bay the better.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Judy and Randy L
There are newer reviews for Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii

Reviewed September 13, 2012

What can I say that hasn't already been said?

I travel A LOT. I spend on average 1/3 of the year in hotels all over the place. This place made me feel like I was home. See for me staying in the super touristy locations when I travel isn't where it's at. I want to eat where the locals eat, shop where they shop and experience what their life is all about. If I wanted high priced, super busy I'd stay home.

First let's start with the view. Amazing! It didn't matter where I was on the resort. The staff was extremely friendly. They went out of their way to ensure everything was perfect. The continental breakfast they put out in the morning was always fresh and more than enough to fill me up in the morning. The coffee is amazing! Hawaiian coffee...there is nothing like it.

As previously stated by others the resort is undergoing a renovation but it is in no way as drastic as stated. There were 2 rooms being renovated and the construction staff was very courteous and conscious about the noise. They do have kayaks and stand up paddle boards, which I didn't have time to try. The thing I thought was the best was they had a barge that took the guests out to the sand bar, which is beautiful, and they let you snorkel and paddle board there. The Captain of the boat was very nice and knowledgeable about the surrounding area and sea life. I highly recommend, if you get a chance, that you go. They were also about to start doing deep sea fishing trips there. The pool is definitely not a lap pool. It is a perfect normal sized pool with a nice Jacuzzi.

I do want to apologize. I was the guilty party, evidently. I am the before mentioned groom that had that wedding on August 17th. Our family rented out almost all of the lower section of the resort which is where we had our wedding. We tried not to affect anyone with our festivities. I figured everyone would have enjoyed the fact that we fed everyone at the resort and they drank at our bar all night for free.

To sum this all up. This place is real Hawaii. I would stay there again in a heartbeat. If you are looking for a place that makes you feel like family....then you've found it!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Travis L
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Usually I go to hawaii once a year with the family for 20 years since I grew up on the army base on Oahu! But this past Jan 2012, I went solo for a private retreat to reflect and recharge! I could not have picked a better place. What can I say that hasnt already been said--- The staff from check in to check out were wonderful. My knee was bothering me and since another room was available with less stairs they immediately moved me. After checking in ,I just was amazed at the view from the Hotel-- it is PURE Hawaii! even driving up to the hotel I saw the neighborhood and immediately thought I am in Hawaii not the down town commercial hotel strip....I know that the new owners were in renovations when I was there but regardless the location is so worth the money and for Hawaii it was still affordable and reasonable!I had a chance to meet the owners the week I was there and they were very nice and sincere about wanting to hear your input about the resort. I loved the amenities like the weekly Hawaiian food and show, the snorkeling trip on the weekend-- such a nice touch that was unexpected.I would suggest planning your activities not to miss them since more substantial than you find at other hotels. The continental breakfast exceeded my expectations and the view from the dining porch was perfect for starting the day! I believe I saw a rainbow against the mountains every morning!! I loved seeing other guests each morning since the hotel has a B&B feel--everyone staying at the hotel was so friendly and enjoying their stay like me! I had a beautiful lanai with my room with wonderful view but loved sitting in the dining area at night breathing in the views and reflecting on the day. I noticed that other guest did the same. If you happen to book one of the rooms without a view, I suggest you do the same and enjoy the beautiful grounds and views vs staying in the rooms.The pool was being remodeled when I was there and the travel channel was actually filming that week for "Hawaii best kept secret" show-- I know that I am glad I found this little gem of a resort. I am planning on coming back to Hawaii at the beginning of December for 2 weeks with family and friends and look forward to sharing Paradise Bay Resort and this side of the island with them!

Room Tip: If you dont book a room with a view, I suggest that you utilize dining porch with magnificent views...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Paula O
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Actually still here. Seems like a really nice place if you want to get away from it all. Just a few fyi's to get out of the way. Make sure you know how to get here. We had to call the resort twice because we were lost, but their directions were pretty bad. "Turn at the 7-11" We wasted an hour driving arouond and after the second call where we still couldn't get helpful directions, we tried to speak to someone else, but was told there was no one else there. ? It was only the luck of the draw that we finally did happen across the 7-11 to find our way here. After traveling for 12 hours, it would have been nice to have been offered a bottle of wine or something for our trouble by the management, but pretty much an oh well attitude.

Also try to avoid rooms 63, 64 and 65. Really nice view of the pool and mountains, but underneath the eating area. Thumping and banging starts around 6am when coffee service starts. Not relaxing at all if you want to sleep in.

Otherwise, seems nice. We have a cute studio room, nicely furnished- condo sized frig, microwave and toaster and some pots and pans and dinner ware. They also supply a coffee machine, but no coffee which I thought odd. You even get coffee fixins in a standard hotel room.

We did enjoy the Weds nite dinner with Hawaiian music. Great mai tais! :) The continental breakfast is also pretty good. Oatmeal, waffles and bread to toast, yogurt cups, fresh fruit, all different varieties on a daily basis.

Make sure to try the huli huli chicken from the truck next to the 7-11. Awesome!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cruisin*tigger
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Tranquil.....I have lived in Hawaii over 10 years and have found a gem!!
I love the level of intimacy here - our bungalow was right on the water so please take a peek at the pictures to see the views. Even typing to you now on the lanai, I have enclosed a photo while typing. The views are breath-taking - the Ko'olau mountain range expresses a different feeling as the clouds hover in and out. So serene....

Take a kayak out into the bay and explore or play pool or deck side....ahhhh.
I love the convenience of the kitchenette in our room - I like to have my coffee before venturing out. Trust me - you do not want to see me before I have had my coffee :)

I travel often and I am usually in a hurry to get somewhere....but all time stops here. I can hear the water breaking from my bed, the birds singing....it is so peacefull here!! so green...
Close enough to local shopping and local hangouts to get the vibe of this side.
Love it.
Everyone has been so friendly and happy here - good "mana" here!!

Room Tip: I did not have a chance to experience the restaurant or room service - will need to come back for th...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Hulagirlinaz
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Dates stayed: 8/14/2012 to 8/18/2012
Room type: One bedroom suite on Kaneohe Bay.

My wife and I wanted to stay in a nice quiet place on the windward side of the island. Because of the mixed reviews we figured give it a try for 4 nights.

The best way to describe this resort is an inexpensive condo/motel built right on Kaneohe Bay in a local neighborhood fishing village. Part of the local feeling means you experience everything good and bad in the neighborhood. Stray cats are numerous perhaps because the neighbors have lots of stuff lying around. A guy in uniform walked up to the coffee pot, filled his mug, and left, so part of this experience is you are integrated into the neighborhood. The setting is definitely beautiful with the mountains in the background and gentle waves. However even as the staff was very courteous and helpful, the feeling of the inexpensive condo/motel showed through. I'll explain below.

We were very disappointed by the breakfast. They called this a "continental breakfast". It felt like everything they had out was purchased in bulk at Costco including the plastic silverware and plates. The pineapple was excellent and in season, but the papaya was bitter and underripe. The choices were also inconsistent; one day the oranges disappeared so I asked Napua what happened. She went into the office to ask someone and didn't come out for 10 minutes so I gave up. The oatmeal was the cheap instant oatmeal quite unlike what you'd expect from a good home cooked breakfast. All of the other items were just ordinary store bought breads and pastries. I've been at many B&Bs, and they always add a personal touch with some special cooked items but there was none of this here. Since we had the one bedroom suite, we ended up just taking a few items back to our room - the better fruit and some coffee. My wife tells me the coffee was mediocre - isn't Hawaii supposed to be famous for good coffee? I can't understand the deal with the papaya because we purchased this on our own and it was very sweet unlike the papaya they served at the breakfast here.

Our one bedroom suite was recently renovated and when we were there, other rooms were also being renovated. The room was definitely clean. It was a lifesaver to have a fully equipped kitchen because of the lack of a decent breakfast - my wife and I like eating full hearty breakfast on vacation :). There are still some things lacking though. The main thing that bothered us is the fridge was old and clunky, making a popping noise every 15-20 minutes. This combined with the poor building sound insulation made for some restless sleeping. A note for guests wandering around the resort at 5:30-6:00AM in the morning that your conversations, laughing, arguing, etc. can be clearly heard. The AC is similarly loud and old but fortunately with the ocean breezes it isn't needed at night. The shower curtain rings pop off every time you close the shower curtain making even the basic showering a bit of a challenge. The dresser for putting clothing has no rails which makes it difficult to use. The microwave was placed on top of the fridge because of a lack of counter space; would have been much better to have a built-in because the kitchen is a bit small. The walkway to the villa was poorly lit and probably treacherous for someone elderly.

Upon checking in we went down a really steep driveway to get to our room. The spaces were limited and often full, and it was a big challenge getting in and out of that lot. I ended up crunching my bumper trying to navigate between cars and getting up the steep driveway. The resort itself is very small. The swimming pool is barely big enough to jump in and cool off. But I did get to enjoy canoeing in the large bay. It's very peaceful and relaxing and free for resort guests. If you want to try this make sure you're in good shape before you go out because it can be a bit of a workout when you row against the current. The resort also had stand up paddle boards available for a fee which I didn't get to try, but I imagine that would be fun especially when the waves are bigger in the winter.

The service there was actually very warm and inviting. They always had great suggestions for things to do in the area and loved to tell stories. I do remember Napua and Kaylee who were very helpful in welcoming us to the resort and giving us suggestions of things to do. If the breakfast were better this would have been a true B&B experience ;). Things weren't so smooth when we first got there after a 14 hour flight; Napua told us "check-in isn't until 3PM" but after I explained that Tom told us they would try to make the room available if possible, she made up for it by getting housekeeping on it and walking down to our room with us to see if we needed anything. A nice touch for sure.

When we stayed there, someone rented out the resort for a wedding. Normally that wouldn't be a problem but since the resort is so small, it really detracted from the experience. The wedding took over the entire parking lot and barbecue area so we all had to fight for parking spaces on the upper level. Shame on the management for not letting guests know until we were actually staying there and had no other options.

Hopefully in my review I've painted a clear picture of what it's like to stay here. I really tried to have an open mind about this and have stayed in everything from one star basic motels to 5+ star hotels and resorts worldwide. While the Paradise Bay Resort is beautiful and relaxing, and the staff is very welcoming, the subpar breakfast, resort, & room facilities, and especially the nuisance of a wedding taking over the resort made this a real mixed bag experience and definitely not worth paying the 4-5 star resort price. This really doesn't provide the great "alternative to Waikiki" that it should be providing.

Room Tip: Get a one or two bedroom suite on the bay so you can enjoy the peaceful environment here.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Elliot254
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I can't say enough nice things about Paradise Bay Resort. I've stayed there 7 times now over a year and a half. I've watched the renovations that have made the spacious rooms beautiful and comfortable with all the amenities of home. The location is perfect for me as I love being off the beaten path, especially with the amazing views of the mountains. I love the private ownership and personal touches that the owners and staff do for their guests. The kayaks, paddleboards, sand bar cruise and Wed night luau with local musicians, Kimo and guests, are the biggest treats that I never tire of. I never want to leave and I look forward to my return. Thank you staff of Paradise Bay Resort!

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Jennftb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kaneohe
Waikiki
The Modern Honolulu
The Modern Honolulu
#6 of 84 in Honolulu
Diamond Head - Kapahulu - St. Louis
The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel

Been to Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii? Share your experiences!