“One of the most Serene Places I have Been”
Review of Byodo-In Temple

Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Papamoa, New Zealand
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“One of the most Serene Places I have Been”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This temple is situated in beautiful grounds. The buildings are superb and is just beautiful. Well worth a visit and ring the bell for happiness.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Seattle
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 100 helpful votes
“A must see.”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

It is magnificent. Small, but stylistically authentic, even if not architecturally perfect. The setting is gorgeous and very serene, and the smallish statue of a sitting Budda faces the sun rise. It was so nice that my kids had to go back to visit a second time. It is nice that it is a little way out of town and out of sight of the highway as it keeps the crowds down. It was by far the best place we visited on Oahu. By a long shot. It felt safe for kids to walk around also, but there are some pretty deep looking water features to be aware of if you have any non-swimmers in your crew.

Anchorage, Alaska
92 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 115 helpful votes
“Incredibly Beautiful Spiritual Oasis”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

You do not plan to stop at a cemetery on your drive along the windward side of Oahu, and you would not stop here unless you knew what was hidden up against the mountains. YOu cannot see the temple even when you park and pay your $3 to get in, but as you cross the bridge you will be amazed. A replica of the thousand-year-old Byodo-In in Kyoto, this Buddhist temple welcomes all faiths. The grounds are stunning, with koi ponds, peafowl, and tropical flowers. The gift shop has unique items from Japan at great prices. This will be a highlight of your visit to Hawaii. I come here every time I am on Oahu. Make a special trip to see it.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa, United States
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Tranquil beauty”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

This place was great. Beautiful and tranquil. I'm glad this made the cut on our trip. We got there early so there were only a few people there. I'd advise getting there early. As we were leaving, a tour bus was getting there and it got busy quickly. Coat yourself in bug spray. We got eaten alive. If you have the time and patience, carve your name into the bamboo trees. We did!

1 Thank rwall186
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
174 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 402 helpful votes
“TRULY BREATHTAKING JAPANESE BEAUTY...!”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

We arrived via a tour bus, and what struck me as odd was having to go through a cemetery to get here, how very strange indeed.! However once we saw this beautiful temple set in a glorious setting ringed with mountains, we knew we were in for a rare treat. Just walking towards this temple had me franticly reaching for my camera and at the very large ornate Bell I admit I did have a good "Bong" with it, moving along I was acutely aware of the large ponds filled with thousands of Koi carp and Black swans surrounding this temple. And upon entering the main hall the sight of the very large golden Buddha brought back memories of the golden Buddha in Bangkok another magnificent sight to behold too, moving through here you do get the sense of being somewhere special in Oahu and the colours of the building so vibrant and calming just like the many magnificent peacocks strutting around.!
Being on a timed visit with a tour does have one drawback.. Lack of time. And with this in mind we tried to make the most of ours here, moving swiftly along we found a gift shop selling some fascinating Japanese merchandise, it was here we bought a lucky cat and an ornamental dragon which were reasonably priced considering where we were. You can also buy some fish pellets to feed to the Koi carp for a Dollar or so and create your own "Feeding Frenzy" in the moat that rings the temple which we duly did, and with the amount of fish here one could easily "walk" on the fish across to the other side, so many in fact. As has been noted watch out for those seriously annoying mosquitos ( They're almost as bad as some of the irritating fellow squawking tourists wandering around.) a good repellent should suffice. All in all this was one major highlight on our tour and how I wished I could have stayed longer but, as it was we were the last ones back much to the "Annoyed" looks of our fellow travellers, like I cared.!
My advice here folks is simple, just try and get to this glorious temple under your own steam and do spend some quality time enjoying the peaceful setting and the friendly Japanese people maintaining it, I just wish we could have stayed longer and wandered the grounds as it's one of these places you simply can't miss while on Oahu..!

Visited October 2013