“Peaceful”

Ranked #1 of 39 things to do in Kaneohe
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Beautiful temple at the end of a cemetery. Backed by a mountain range and surrounded by trees and bamboo, this place is both beautiful and peaceful. Makes me yearn for Japan! Small gift shop and there is a fee to enter. I believe they also filmed parts of "Lost" here (Jin's flashbacks). If you venture behind the gift shop there is a small bamboo grove with many names etched into the stalks. No one else seemed to venture there and the sound of the wind clacking the bamboo together was lovely.
You won't need much time here, but if you're driving the island, I highly recommend it.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,378)
All reviews
in 22 reviews
"windward side"
in 19 reviews

Reviewed May 22, 2013

WOW is right! Located in the back end of a multi religious cemetary the Byodo-In Temple is nestled at the foot of the Ko'olau mountain range. It is a beautiful peaceful buddhist shrine. A replica of a 900 year-old Japanese temple located in the Valley of Temples and that's what you should look for on the map when driving there from Waikiki. It's center piece is an impressive buddha. Make sure to light your insence and pray.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Our second time here - and just as beautiful. The temple itself is picture perfect, and the place never seems crowded. It's set up to just meander along paths - an absolute stellar venue to shoot pictures. Buy the fish/bird seed for $1 - you'll have the birds eating out of your hand - literally. Bend down and put some in your hand and the tiny sparrows will jump right on your fingers. The Koa know what to expect and you'll have droves at your feet vying for food.

The gift store is a bit over-priced, and the staff that work there could use some lessons in customer service - sour & cheerless!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I'm sure some will REALLY appreciate this stop. Our GyPSy Tour suggested it and it never steered us wrong so we went. I'm not disappointed that I went, but it really is a quick stop and you will have to pay an admission to make the 15 min stop there..... but I get to say I've been there! :)

2  Thank Time4Scuba
See more reviews
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Even with our GPS, we missed the turn for the Valley of the Temples and had to turn back. I still wasn't sure we were in the right place since the Byodo-In Temple is further down a winding road.

What threw me off was the typical-looking Christian church at the turn. Nothing in what I had read said it was a road lined with several churches interspersed in cemetery grounds. It creeped out my husband a little until we parked and walked to the entrance of the Temple.

It is really beautiful. Peaceful grounds, a lovely koi pond with black swans, and a little stream that surrounds the building make it very picturesque. True to the original in Japan, albeit on a smaller scale, I was impressed. You'll be glad you stopped.

1  Thank Transplant_Texan