“A Must Play!!!!”
Review of Ko'olau Golf Club

Ko'olau Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Considered one of the toughest courses in the nation, and named one of the top three golf clubs in Hawaii by Golf Digest, this magnificent golf course was carved out of a rain forest on the windward side of the 2,000-foot Ko'olau mountain range.
Reviewed March 19, 2010

When we played Ko’olau the course was in great shape from tee to green! The course is well kept and provides gorgeous views. This course will not let you get away with off-line shots, most of the holes a have forced carries. If I was to do it over again I would have purchased a yardage book to help with blind shots and laying up to the correct distance. Enjoy the views but concentrate on your game, bring a few extra balls... just in case. (Hole 18 can be a monster!)

1  Thank jfwallace3

Reviewed March 17, 2010

Great difficult course, a lot of forced carries. There are some holes that are forgetable, however. I know Luana Hills has more interesting holes, but slightly shorter from the Blue tees. Koolau GC has longer forced carries while Luana Hills has much tighter fairways especially on the back side. If you want teh whole thing, including the club house, pick Koolau. If you just want a great memorable golf course pick Luana Hills. The course was fairly wet and the grass conditions not great, however the course and the scenery are the important interest points. I rank this course #12 out of my 375 courses I played.

Reviewed February 14, 2010

I read all of the reviews how beautiful this course was and I must say the views are amazing. The staff was very friendly and the course was challenging, but I managed to lose only one ball - I had brought a bunch just in case though. If you can hit the ball straight and know your yardages this course can and was very enjoyable. I was paired with a couple of local fellows who were a pleasure to play with and offered advice on the layout of the course. Played from the gold tees and would have played it again if I had the time. If you are on Oahu and can play a good game this course is a must play, but don't get distracted by the scenery.

Reviewed January 29, 2010

Our host, who lives on Oahu, took us here to hit some balls (he & DH have played the course and love it; but, both didn't want to tackle it that day)...it was the 1st course I saw and it seemed by far the most beautiful...the views from the former resort (?..owned by the Presbyterian Church now) were incredible too, as was the building itself with indoor waterfalls, great layout. You can see some of the golf course from the property itself.

I just had an iced tea at Honey's Cafe there; but, it was tasty and lots of folks appeared to be enjoying their lunch. Server was super friendly.

I would highly recommend a drive out here...even the drive is beautiful.

Reviewed November 4, 2009

This course is as hard as they come. If you are planning to play, it may not be relaxing depending on your additude. Enjoy the stunning beauty of this central mountain golf course in Ohau's rain forest. Because of the location you will often see washed out sand traps but that is the nature of playing where it rains a lot. Plan on losing one ball for each stroke of your handicap. If you are over a 12 or 14 handicap you may not enjoy it. The course has plenty of forced carries and a ridiculously difficult 18th hole. Challenging and stunning, beautiful and hard. I have only one complaint. If customer service is important to you, you probably should stick to a resort course. The staff are not particulalry friendly or accomodating....but since you only interface with them at the beginning and end, and the occasional cranky ranger, its tolerable.