“Great Drive to View Native and Tropical Plants” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hoomaluhia Botanical Gardens

Hoomaluhia Botanical Gardens
Ranked #6 of 40 things to do in Kaneohe
More attraction details
Owner description: A 200 acre botanical garden.
Atlanta, Georgia
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Great Drive to View Native and Tropical Plants”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

This is not really a botanical garden in my opinion, but the land is lovely and serene. We drove most of the area and stopped along the way to read the signs on plants, trees, flowers, etc. Many are native to Hawaii, but they also have plants from all around the tropics including Kenya, Tonga, and Malaysia. You can camp here, but I am not a camper. However, if I was I would camp here as it seems so peaceful. I went on a Friday, and there was no one there which was great to me. The camp sites looked clean and well managed with bathroom facilities. We went to the visitor center, which could be updated but the I get that they don't have a lot of money. They should have a jar asking for donations, because I think people would give a little. There is a lake you can walk to and fish, so we walked down to check it out. It is very relaxing, but there is not much to it. There were two art exhibitions in galleries while we were there, which were fun to look at. Some of the art was very good from the Windward Artist Guild. I think this is something nice to do if you are in the area and enjoy plants. It is over 400 acres, so there is a lot to take in with the beautiful mountain range behind you.

Visited October 2012

• Korean first
Rolling Hills Estates, California
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Super fun -- special gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

My husband, 6 year old and I ventured here for a picnic lunch after church...we ended up fishing in their lake (for free -- they even gave us a pole and bait) surrounded by gorgeous scenery, hiking, and oh, yes, eating our lunch. What a special adventure it turned out to be. The docents were very knowledgeable. We left wanting to go back for another day! Plan for lots of time to explore -- especially with little ones. It's a great way to escape the sun/sand, and take in the lush tropical side of Hawaii.

Visited August 2012
Phoenix
“Beautiful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

This is well worth the trip if you want to see botanical gardens in Hawaii. It is a nicely kept state park. The ground are amazing and there are enough labels on the plants to keep your interest. Many picnic tables, restrooms, and nice places to have lunch by the lake. Bring your refreshments! They do not sell them in the park. Highly recommended

Olathe, Kansas
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Awesome rainforest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

This is the BEST place to visit on Oahu is you like nature. Once you get past the garden of exotic plants, the native rainforest is a joy to explore! I even had a few introduced mongooses run by me. The best part for me was the bird life. Munias, mannakins, leiothrixes, and shamas galore! Even had a few wild junglefowl (chickens), and some endemic coots on the lake. Probably would make for a good family hike or picnic. It seems to be a hidden gem, so isn't infected with the hoardes of tourists found throught most of the island.

Visited August 2012
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“This is a scenic family park - NOT a botanical garden”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

Was expecting a traditional botanical garden with exotic flowers and intersting plants, but this was 99% simply a family park with fishing, camping and walking trails with a pretty tree canopy

1 Thank Hawaiianorchid18