“wonderful location for a family”
Review of Kailua

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
NC
7 helpful votes
“wonderful location for a family”
Reviewed October 8, 2010

Our family of 10 (parents and siblings) spent a week in a rented house in Kailua near Kailua beach. We all stayed in the same house which was beautiful; we had our own private pool, lanai and back yard and the beach was just a few steps away. Kailua beach is perfect for families who want to spend time together and not with hundreds of other people around. We often felt like we had our own private beach. It was perfect for walking early in the morning, for swimming and jumping in the waves and for spending time with your spouse or siblings at night.
Kailua is not so far from Honolulu and Waikiki that you can't go in for an afternoon, or to watch the sunset, do some shopping or eat and then return at night. There is plenty to do around Kailua with shops and restaurants. We are so glad we decided to stay in Kailua. The weather was perfect in September!

3 helpful votes
“Fine Beaches”
Reviewed October 3, 2010

On a recent trip to the Hawaiian Islands my wife and I stayed in the Town of Kailua. The restaurants are OK, but what got us
was the pleasant Town Beach! Beautiful soft white sand, warm
Pacific waters to swim in, and by the boat ramp a firm brings up a Seafood, Hot Dog and Shaved Ice truck every day after 11AM,
If you've never tried Hawaiian Shaved Ice, it's an expericence!
Delicious fresh ice run through a crusher, then they add fruit flavors to it of your choosing. My wife and I tried the Orange & Pineapple! It's a great treat! It's worth the short drive from Honolulu!

Frisco, Texas
64 helpful votes
“Say "no" to a hotel.”
Reviewed July 30, 2010

As a long time former resident of O'ahu (grew up in Lanikai and lived there for many years before moving away for work), I try to get back to the islands at least once (usually twice) a year. Although, I can appreciate the lure of Waikiki, if you want to experience a better version of paradise, I would recommend you consider a house rental in Kailua/Lanikai. It may appear pricier at first, but the advantages are numerous: cook your own food when you want, NO hotels in Kailua, more scenic and laid back, less crowded beaches, closer to many of the places you want to see. You can still head to Waikiki for night life...it's only 30 minutes away.
Obviously, if you're the type looking for action, it may not be right for you; but, if you have kids it could be the perfect vacation spot! Try vrbo.com for finding rentals.

New Orleans, Louisiana
61 helpful votes
“I didn't want to leave!!!”
Reviewed June 11, 2010

We decided to rent a house in Kailua, near Lanikai Beach, for our family vacation rather than stay at a hotel in Waikiki. This was the best decision of our visit as we were able to utilize the charming town of Kailua as our home base. The beach, farmers market, stores, restaurants, coffeehouses, kayaking and even a glassblowing studio -- Kailua had everything we wanted. The close proximity to Honolulu -- only a 20 to 30 minute beautiful drive on the Pail Highway -- made going into the city for meals and events easy while staying in a serene and uncrowded location.

Our only criticism of the town is the lack of variety with quality in restaurants. There weren't any opportunities for a "great" meal, but we had several perfectly good meals. The farmers market on Thursday night had the best food in Kailua.

Atlanta, GA
40 helpful votes
“Favorite town, but the massage school isn't”
Reviewed April 17, 2010

We have been going to Kailua every winter for over 10 yrs and I never get tired of it. If you like a relaxed pace and being away from the tourist crowds, then this is your spot.

The only thing I would stay away from is the Hawaii Healing Arts College. It is a school, but there is also a massage center where you can get massages from students (and they have licensed therapists as well). F I have been on 2 separate occasions and had 2 different therapists and both times I was terribly disappointed.

After 12 hrs on a plane, I've always wanted to get the kinks worked out with a relaxing massage. I get them on a regular basis at home and am not new to the different types of massage. For years I have looked at their website and toyed around with the idea of making an appt, but never did. I eventually found an independent therapist who was fabulous. Then she moved from Hawaii and it left me wanting to pursue a vacation massage again. So, I finally made an appt w/the college. It was conveniently close in downtown Kailua and I figured it couldn't be that bad. I was wrong.

Even though I requested a specific technique from the therapist, she did not honor that request. The music was like torture and I finally had to ask her to change it. The change was not much better. She used what seemed to be a gallon of massage oil, so that I was coated in the end and felt disgusting. She was either congested or has sinus problems because she was breathing real heavy the whole time.....a bit unnerving. The whole experience was most unpleasant and I came close to just calling it quits before my hour was up.

The next year I made an appt w/another therapist thinking that perhaps the one I had was just not that good. I decided to give them another chance. The experience was not much better. I could not wait for the hour to be over. Again, I was slathered in massage oil by the end and my skin could barely breathe.

I am not the least bit impressed with this business for receiving a relaxing or therapeutic massage and cannot recommend it to anyone.

Other than that, you can't go wrong in Kailua. It's my favorite place in the world and I'm already dreaming about our trip next year.

Been to Kailua? Share your experiences!