“Relaxing Hawaiian Retreat”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kailua
Sheffield House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 13 Kailua B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Our family recently took our first Hawaiian vacation and thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Sheffield House. Kailua is far from the high rises and traffic of the main tourist areas but has all the necessities for a great vacation - this is what you think about when you think of Hawaii. A quick block's walk brings you to one of the top ranked beaches in the world (I believe Trip Advisor ranked it #8), and the Sheffields provide beach towels, mats, boogie boards, chairs and the like to make for a perfect day on this gorgeous beach. No need to fight for towel space like in Waikiki - this is where the locals go! We rented both spaces, and they were both very comfortable and spacious, meeting our needs very well. You have two designated parking spaces, a private entrance, and private lanais to each room which are landscaped with lush tropical plants. This windward side of the island turned out to be a great location for getting around the rest of the island. It's easy to connect to the main roadways and the airport. We would absolutely recommend Sheffield House to our friends and family - Mahalo!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank mwosborn

Reviewed April 1, 2014

On our recent family visit to the Sheffield House we found it to be delightful. Our family of 5 used both of the rooms, I happened to read the review that was before mine. We did not see any evidence of roaches or any other bugs for that matter. The rooms were very accommodating and offerred the privacy needed but we certainly were able to interact with the host family. They provided a muffin type breakfast for our first day with plenty of coffee to make as many cupsas we needed in our rooms. After making coffee we would use the sitting areas outside and enjoy the birds and sounds. I did not notice the traffic sounds. It was nice having the small refrigerator to keep the water/drinks for our day trips cold and any other items that needed refrigeration. We did use the new A/C at night as that is what we were use to but open the windows during the day. The beds were comfortable and the rooms very clean. We loved the closeness to the beautiful beach and were pleased to find the owners had the towels and beach equipment for our use. It is easily reached within about minutes from the airport..(only a couple of turns) We so enjoyed the neighboring, locally owned restaurants that were provided by the owners. Food, atmosphere, people were so delightful. Would I stay here again....you bet...Do I recommend Sheffield House...Absolutely..I hope to have the pleasure to visit again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Bebs2014
Reviewed March 24, 2014

BOTTOM LINE IF YOU CHOOSE TO STAY HERE:
* IF YOU DON’T LIKE BIG CREEPY CRAWLY ROACHES DON’T STAY HERE.
* IF YOU DON’T WANT RUDE, CARELESS HOSTS IN THE EVENT YOU DO ENCOUNTER ROACHES (and you WILL!) WHILE STAYING HERE, DON’T STAY HERE.

BETTER YET… JUST DON’T STAY HERE. PERIOD.

This is speaking for BOTH ginger and garden suites!!! They both share common walls so it is HIGHLY LIKELY that if there are roaches in one suite, there will MOST DEFINITELY be roaches crawling over from one to the other as they share the same walls!!!

My boyfriend and I had booked the Ginger Suite for five days + six nights, from Monday, 03/17 to Saturday, 03/22. I had booked this in advance and was very excited for my trip out to Hawaii, as I have never been.

Definitely a first trip out to Hawaii to remember! Unfortunately not for the amazing beaches, the amazing food, nor even for the beautiful weather. It was for the lack of consideration, poor customer service, and lack of good judgment that now has forever tainted my image of bed & breakfasts’, as this was also my first time staying in one. Good job Sheffield House Bed & Breakfast, with double kudos especially to Paul for helping to facilitate and influence my changing opinion of this :)

I am DEATHLY afraid of roaches. If given the opportunity, I wouldn’t lay on a bed of roaches (especially the ones found at the Sheffield House) if offered $1 million dollars. Apparently on my first night of staying at the Sheffield House, my boyfriend killed a big roach without having told me (so as not to scare me) as he knew we still had a long stretch of five more nights to go. Second night of staying here, no roaches (that I saw). Third night, four roaches TOTAL that we had seen (please refer to my posted pictures).

Here’s what happened. So it’s about 10PM, boyfriend and I are laying in bed watching some TV, when I saw three BIG, UGLY roaches (one big one on the wall, and two big ones crawling on the floor). IMMEDIATELY I got out of bed, raced over to their house (posteriorly adjacent to my room), and confronted Paul about the roach issue. Paul in disbelief said, “How is that possible? We get the room fumigated once a month.” And in response, I said, “Even if you do, there are three big roaches that I see, and they are still there.” So he went over to my Ginger suite to try to reconcile the issue. He followed promptly with Raid in hand and visually inspected the place. He then said, “Welp, if they’re here, I don’t see any. They must’ve ran away.” He said that carelessly and with such disinterest evident that he just wanted to just return home and that him rattling random objects in the room to no avail resolved the issue. I responded with, “They’re just hiding. I’m deathly afraid of roaches!!! I didn’t know that you had roaches here. I can’t sleep well now tonight now knowing that there are big roaches in the room.” He offered to shake things up around the room, which he did so superficially. He swept one dead roach from behind the trash can and said that’s all the roaches he saw. (FYI, that roach was just there, my boyfriend and I had no knowledge of it). Before appearing as though he was going to retire back to his house, Paul in total disbelief as if I had said the most ludicrous statement, said “I find it very hard to believe that you said you saw roaches. How is that possible? We fumigate the place once a month.” Be that as it may as he says he does, which month he’s talking about beats me completely. Could’ve well been some month back in ’76, because fumigation or not, whatever way, shape, or form, they’re fumigating, has more than proven their efforts to be highly ineffective. Just that lack in believing that a customer that is paying good money to stay at their B & B, has nothing better to do with their time than to bother you at some odd hour in the night for roaches should be convincing enough. So when he said that statement, that just did it for me. I am trying to compile together an idea as to why he was behaving and speaking to my boyfriend and I so carelessly, suggestively, and condescendingly. I don’t know if it’s because he looked at us and he thought we were younger thus making it okay to speak to his paying customers that way? I have no idea…age, or ANYTHING, you should speak respectfully, courteously, and act like you give a damn to your paying customers as they are the ones bringing you business. So I told him that there were three roaches still running about in the room (could’ve well been more too!), and that I was just too scared to sleep in the Ginger Suite tonight because I couldn’t sleep there restfully and peacefully knowing they were still there. I asked him if I can have a discount on that night since I’d be sleeping in my car, and he was so quick to respond with an unyielding refusal saying, “No! I’m not giving you a discount.” He stood in the doorway in silence as I just sat there in disbelief pondering how he had single-handedly made my highly anticipated Hawaii trip take a turn for the worst. He said I’ll leave the raid here. And I told him to just close the door behind him and he left.

I apologize for sounding like a big baby, but I cried when Paul left the room because I was so upset that I paid $900 to stay here for six days. Rightfully, I am entitled to have someone give a damn and try to correct and make things right especially since I didn’t sign up to stay in room infested with roaches!!! Had I known there were roaches you bet your behind I wouldn’t have stayed there! Like any good business, when a restaurant messes up on your order, they won’t charge you for it; when a hotel is overbooked, they’ll give you a free upgrade or comp you a free night; when you complain about an employee at any establishment and speak to the manager to complain, they’ll offer you something to compensate for your bad experience. Paul was so insensitive to his paying customer and offered NO ALTERNATIVE in correcting this huge fault, and that I had this dilemma of where to try to sleep peacefully that night. I’m three months pregnant so should I chance staying in the small ginger suite with no air circulation and subject myself to the fumes of raid as they stay stagnant and overpowering if my boyfriend were to spray it to kill roaches? That night my boyfriend killed four BIG roaches that were ALL OVER the suite!!! Please refer to my pictures!!!

In the morning following that night, despite having three more days that were already paid for in advance, my boyfriend and I packed our bags ASAP and checked out first thing in the morning.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank katrina e
KuuleiRoad, Owner at Sheffield House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

I, Paul, must reply to this review.

Our guest came over earlier in the day and after paying her balance said that she would be leaving early due to a "family emergency" on the Mainland.
In the evening , she came over very upset at having seen roaches. I came back with her and turned the place upside down, looking under, behind and inside every place that I could find the offending bugs but I did NOT find any. They may have been there, but I could NOT find them.

I explained to her, and as our website states, we live in the tropics and bugs are a fact of life here. Bugs live in the environment and occasionally sneak in. We take this very seriously and we do all we can to keep the house bug free. We clean Very Thoroughly between guests. We have a contract with Terminex who comes and treats the place regularly. We pay for a contract which includes a clause that they come back and treat again ANYTIME we see bugs. If you wish to verify that we use their service please call them at (808) 486-2418 and verify service by our address 131 Kuulei Road, Kailua or phone number (808) 262-0721 . Our service technician is Troy. You may ask to speak to Troy regarding the chemicals that he uses and when this room the Ginger Studio was last treated.

In the past, we used to encourage people who have a concern about bugs to NOT stay in a ground floor room in Hawaii, but to instead to stay above the 4th floor in a high-rise hotel. However, we have since heard of bugs on an upper level floor of a hotel.

After inspecting every inch of the room and the bathroom and not finding ANY bugs, I left a can of Raid with her in case one came into view. I was very concerned and I did everything I knew to do.

We are very sorry about her fear regarding roaches.

Paul Sheffield

Reviewed November 23, 2013

We returned to Kailua in late October for our 5th visit to the area. It is a given that we agree with the posted comments from guests that it is a wonderful place to visit with a spectacular beach to enjoy.
However, our comments on the Sheffield House cannot be as positive. We have rented accommodation on each of our visits prior to this one and unfortunately, Sheffield House ranks last in favour. On a positive note, the owners were quick to respond to any issue, and we did have a few, and we appreciated their efforts to respect our privacy. That was definitely not a negative as some other reviewers have found. However, we are sorry to be more disapproving than satisfied, as owners Rachel and Peter are nice people.
The location of the cottage is a nightmare as far as being in a tropical environment. You don't hear the cooing of the tropical birds so much......more the roar of the constant traffic on the main road fronting the property.......which begins very early in the morning! Even the garbage trucks are up early in Kailua.
If you want a dark garden with lots of foliage, and accommodation surrounded by a tall fence, then this is the place for you. Notwithstanding the tropical greenery, we found that instead of being inviting and relaxing, it was claustrophobic and allowed for absolutely no air flow through the cottage. The interior was hot and stuffy, even with a ceiling fan on and the slatted windows wide open. We used the only AC, in the bedroom, just a couple of times in the evening to cool things down for sleeping, relying on the two large and very noisy floor fans, along with the ceiling fans, to cool the room enough to be comfortable, Only one problem.. it was a competition between the fans and the traffic as to which was noisier.
The kitchen equipment provided was old and needs upgrading, the small bar fridge we coped with but were unhappy to find the teeny tiny ice compartment clogged with ice build-up and was in need of defrosting, a task one would think would be on the to-do list when guests are expected. A coffee maker that only makes two cups. We had to ask for a BBQ, which took a couple of days to appear, and had to replace the beach umbrella (the umbrella on offer had the bottom pole duck-taped to the top pole); We received reimbursement for a new one we purchased.
Not that we came to Hawaii to watch TV, but to have it mounted on the bedroom wall and to have to retire to bed to watch TV was not the ideal situation. The bed itself was quite comfortable, but for sleeping, not relaxing! The bathroom was probably the best part of the unit.......it was nice to shower and be able to have a breeze waft though. However, we only wish that the towels had not been so grey looking with a few light stains. The coloured towels were much better.
To the owners and other readers it may sound like we were very fussy occupants however, having been in the holiday condo rental "business" ourselves, we know what we had provided for guests......our rental was as if we were going to live there ourselves; what was good for us was good for our guests. We found that in Kailua before and will go back there next time........lesson learned to plan one's holiday accommodation well in advance to make sure the best are available! Sheffield House is not the best bang for your buck, unless you have very low expectations.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank nanajo42
KuuleiRoad, Owner at Sheffield House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Thank you for your thoughts. We have removed some of the large plants from the garden area
and permanently placed the Weber grill in the Garden area as a result of your comments.

The Garden Suite has quiet, wall mounted, split system AC which was installed for those rare fall days when the trade winds do not blow. It is there for still days. The floor fans were requested by a previous guest who did not like AC. We would have gladly removed the floor fans if we had known that you did not like them.

If we had known that you wanted a larger coffee pot we would have gladly put one in the unit. We put the smaller size coffee pots in the kitchenette to free up counter space.

We have bolsters that guests can use on the beds for lounging. If we had know that you wished bolsters or more pillows we would have gladly brought them over. We are on the list of places to stay for the local hospital and purchased the bolsters for our guests that are recuperating and waiting for the final doctor check up.

A previous guest left the broken umbrella. It was a housekeeping oversight that it was not removed. We do not ordinarily provide beach umbrellas. The wind on the beach sends beach umbrellas flying. We are the Windward side of the island.

We have talked to our housekeepers and and are working to see that the cleaning and maintenance issues has been resolved.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Me and my husband rented the ginger studio for 3 nights about a month ago. The studio is really clean and well decorated. The bathroom/shower are spacious and we liked them a lot. This is not a conventional B&B, it feels more like a rental house, they live some fruits, cereals, juices and muffins in the fridge for your first day, then you're on your own. We are independent travelers, we had rented a car and explored the island on our own so it worked more then fine for us.
The location is very good, close to shops/restaurants and a 5 minute walk to the beach. They leave mats, boards and beach chairs for their guests to use, which is a big plus. There is also a very cute and private garden area with a table that we used to barbecue fresh seafood and have dinner, and we loved it! Prepare yourself to be also welcomed by super cute Miley...

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
KuuleiRoad, Owner at Sheffield House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Thank you so much for staying with us and for writing a review!

Reviewed May 11, 2013

We spent three nights here a week or so ago...and loved it. As others have said, it's not a traditional European style B&B but rather a rental 'house'. We really liked the privacy. The location is great - Kailua is a great little town, it felt like 'real life' Hawaii. The house is literally a few minute's walk from a beautiful beach and if you're a runner, Kailua is great to run round.

We had the Garden Suite and it was great. The bed was really comfy and our 3 year old son slept well on the window bed. The kitchen is simple but had everything we needed. We loved the little dog.

Our only moan would be that you can hear the traffic on the road - it didn't disturb us at all in reality, but you might want to bring ear plugs if you're sensitive. The birds start singing early as well...ear plugs could help for them as well :)

Overall, we thought this place was brilliant!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ramsden

Thank you so much for staying with us. Thank you also for writing a response.

The curtains around the bay window seat make a perfect
space for a child to sleep.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed for ten days of a recent islands trip(Ginger Suite). It's situated in between the best portion of Kailua "town"(near dining, shops and groceries) and the Gorgeous Kailua Beach.

Atmosphere: like staying in the guest house of very lucky friends.

You can't beat this place for value, unless you do some major pre-planning. Roomy enough for two snobs or three broke people(one on the floor or in a chair). Morning jogs on such a beautiful beach(3-5 minutes when jogging) are priceless. Walks to Whole Food(amazing soups, produce and hot items), the weekly farmer's market(couple minutes away)and area restaurants would also be easy here(I drove).

Pros: Hosts were helpful and readily available(quickly introduced themselves and made themselves available, but allowed for privacy); amazing bed and abundant soft pillows; very modern and private bathroom; great beach house decor; amenities(everything from snacks to body wash to beach supplies to giant-soft towels) abundant; fridge-microwave-toaster oven; love seat(s?); a table for dining(two) inside and ample closet space; very quiet in Ginger suite; A/C unit(I used the awesome slit-windows instead, in March).

Cons: you clean after yourself(and room was not pre-swept--though otherwise very clean).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your kind words. Thank you for letting us know about the housekeeping issue.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua
Coconut Waikiki Hotel
#11 of 84 in Honolulu
Diamond Head - Kapahulu - St. Louis
The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku

Been to Sheffield House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!