“Great malasadas!”

Agnes Portuguese Bake Shop
Ranked #1 of 4 Bakeries in Kailua
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Wife and I made a visit on our first trip toe the island earlier this month. Malasadas were incredible and the service was very friendly.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Yeah, RARELY would i walk away from made to order, hot malasadas on a rainy very early Saturday morning but I almost did based on an older woman monitoring the parking lot who barked at me "your husband isn't going to keep your car parking that that long in our lot, is HE?" (I went to the bakery and he just ran across the street to check on the weather forecast at the surf shop. YIKES! Nothing a warm "welcome" to the bakery since I sought out this store and drove around Kailua based on my search of the perfect Malasada as were made aware of this place on a Kailua map while having coffee at the Malawahwi (sp?) market. I also wanted to compare these Malasadas to Leonard's Malasadas (see my review of Leonard's in Honolulu from 2011). Malasadas are tasty, hot, fried better-than-donuts without holes. These were excellent and made to order but the lady watching the empty parking lot like a hawk and barking inquiries at me left a bitter taste in my mouth regardless of the hot, tasty treats.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

This was our first time eating malasadas and we were blown away! We ordered a half-dozen. About 10 minutes later we received our malasadas and a few minutes after that my wife and I both gobbled up two a piece!

My son tried the cream filled long john, and that was also amazing. It was full of cream, and was a very fluffy donut (not to cakey like some donuts). Agnes Bake Shop had so many different pastries, donuts, and bread and every item looked fresh and well presented. We wish we would have had more time in Hawaii so we could have gone back to try more of their baked goods!

The only thing that didn't blow us away was the coffee. It was just so-so. We were the only customers dining in (we got there pretty early), so this may be more of a place where you phone in your order and take it back home or to the office.

Reviewed June 14, 2012

I've eaten malasadas on several different Hawaiian Islands and Agnes's are by far the best I've ever had. After you place your order they are fried up freshly, just for you. Consider yourself well disciplined if you're able to bring the box back to your loved ones, with any left inside! They also offer menu options for breakfast or lunch in a nice cafe setting.

On a practical note, there is a computer/printer available to the public for a very small fee. Some B&B's in town don't offer this service so it can come in handy for printing out boarding passes.

Reviewed March 25, 2012

There was a lot of empty shelf space in this bake shop. I'm not sure if they were just out of everything or we came at a bad time. The food was only so so and way overpriced for what you were getting. I would not recommend this place.