“Great Salads and Sandwiches”

Kalapawai Cafe & Deli
Ranked #1 of 146 Restaurants in Kailua
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Our first stop we ordered Salads and they were delicious! The next day, we ordered sandwiches and they were so big we ate half for lunch and saved the other half for dinner. They were very good.

This is also a grocery store, so you can buy grocery items too.

Note: We have noticed that most of the restaurants except for the Grove and Teddy's do not seem to be very clean.

There are newer reviews for Kalapawai Cafe & Deli

Reviewed March 6, 2014

This store / cafe is one of the oldest on the island, and I had one of the best BLTAs here (BLT with avocado spread) I have ever had. You order, then pay at the entrance and then go back to pick up your order. Rumour has it the coffee is also amazing.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

This place is always bustling, even when there's hardly any customers. I like the biscuit breakfast sliders and whatever quiche they have on hand; goes down great with hot or iced coffee. Last time I visited, I ordered the 'broke da mouth' poor boy - pulled pork with cabbage slaw and tomato on a toasted bun. Yum yum. Only downside is the noise level: inside clanking plates, outside cars and buses. That said, don't let the racket keep you away from this purveyor of consistent quality grinds.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

Our friends (who live in Kailua) love this place. We enjoyed our visit, but the food is not the best rendition of fine cuisine. My moon fish was certainly fresh and cooked properly, but it was overpowered by the immense amount of chopped avocado that was in the salsa on top. My wife's fish was also fresh and tasty, but again overpowered by a loose hand when it came to seasonings. I will also say that we weren't particular fans of the flavor palate presented with the fish. This may be because we are accustomed to southern/Cajun seasonings that involve lots of black/red pepper and salt. Either way, the restaurant is a favorite of our friends and the food was fresh. I wouldn't pass up trying it - just pay attention to what comes with your dish (seasonings, garnishes, etc). You'll probably be able to find something you like as they have a nice selection and daily specials. Fun atmosphere, like a small fresh market with a restaurant side.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

We were blown away by the excellent service we received. The waitress paid close attention to our needs and made sure she was always one step ahead of us. The rest of the staff checked in on us regularly as well. My family and I shared several appetizers that were all equally delicious. I would come back here again and again!

Been to Kalapawai Cafe & Deli? Share your experiences!