“Burnt Chicken Parm and fried cheese”
Review of Buona Sera

Buona Sera
Ranked #49 of 145 Restaurants in Kailua
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Kailua, HI
“Burnt Chicken Parm and fried cheese”
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Will never return. We live nearby, but it's been years since we've eaten here. The breading on my chicken parmesan was burnt, under the cheese. The chicken was partial breast and other parts. I had inquired if it was chicken breast ahead of time, since it is common in HI to use partial dark meat. The waitress was very nice and confirmed it was all breast.
We ordered fried cheese for our son. How can you mess this up? It had broiler burnt marks on it as well. My husband, had had a bad day, hence why we were treating ourselves, enjoyed his seafood dish. His side of pasta with red sauce was good, but on the sweet side. So our son ate it. I didn't complain to the waitress since my husband didn't need anything else to go wrong that day. But, we will never be back. The bottles on the wall need to be dusted. Light bulbs need to be replaced. If's not how I remember it. There are several good Italian restaurants in Kailua. Buona Sera has seen it's day.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank Kailani001

Kailua, Hawaii
“Outstanding Service and Food”
Reviewed July 5, 2011

My wife and I took our 1 year old son and some friends from out of town to Buona Sera last Sunday night after being turned away from Fromaggio's Italian Gril (and Wine Bar!) two blocks away. The manager at Pier One (Sarah) said she loved it and she was spot on. The waitresses (Melissa and Lauren, if I remember correctly) were wonderful and very welcoming to us. After Fromaggio's told us they didn't have high chairs and were basically a "Wine Bar" and not really suited for children, this was very much appreciated. They quickly sat us, provided great service and made sure we always had what we needed. The food was great (the "special" of chicken, eggplant and mozzerella especially so) and our party was really impressed. If you're looking for fine dinning decor, perhaps this won't meet your standard. But if you're looking for amazingly tasty food, spectacular service, a charming atmosphere and fun (albeit limited) wine list, this is definitely the place. I suggest trying the house wines (red and white) for something different - they were excellent!! We'll definitely be back and give Buona Sera our highest recomendation!

• Visited July 2011
“Charming”
Reviewed January 6, 2011

Small, warm and so quaint! Wonderful atmosphere. Unique chianti bottle decorations all over. Service is friendly and never too much trouble. Good well priced wine list with lots of good drinking wines.

My partner's shrimp pasta meal was succulent. I had the chicken/anchovy/seafood pasta which was tasty but somewhat dry and overcooked. The hot bread they serve here is to die for!!! We could easily have had that as the meal! Dessert cheesecake was mediocre.

To visit once was great - would we go back with all the other "different" restaurants in the area and Buzz for competition? Maybe - maybe not.

• Visited January 2011
Hawaii
“Stay Away!!!”
Reviewed July 30, 2010

The food was very oily, the fried calamari was dripping of oil and the batter was undercooked. The veal was very oily also so was the eggplant. The pervious reviewer was right. It was so heavy with oil it upset my stomach. Stay Away

The Villages, Florida
“Cozy and good Italian Restaurant”
Reviewed February 25, 2010

Buona Sera is a small local restaurant that is big on taste. My Fiance and I go there on a regular basis. The food is always good and reasonably priced. If you buy a bottle of Chianti you can decorate it and hang it on the wall, and update it on your return. There are many bottles on the wall and some of the quotes are very funny. This is a must do if you are in Kailua.