“Weekly night out”

Saeng's Thai Cuisine
Ranked #69 of 150 Restaurants in Kailua
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed December 2, 2012

My family generally goes to champa Thai in Kailua but decided to try this place for a change. It was worth it! The decor reminded us of Bangkok and so did the food. We ordered the seafood salad which my wife and I commented could have come straight from our favorite restaurant in Bangkok. For dinner we tried red curry chicken and I had green curry chicken and shrimp. ( Full disclosure, I'm not a huge fan of curry and green certainly isn't my favorite but I decided to live a little and try something new.) both dishes were good but both could have been hotter(temperature) and spicier and I order mine spicy. The food was fresh and light and the portion size was larger than other places we've eaten at. If I had one complaint it would be the service is ok. It's not great or bad but just ok.

If I'm comparing Saengs to Champa Thai I would come back to Saengs simply because the food tasted better! It's a little bit pricier mainly due to alcohol service. champa is BYOB. Over all, a very good restaurant deserving of the "best of Oahu" award in Thai food.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

I've been to a lot of Thai places and this was the blandest I've been too. First off, My husband never got his glass of wine we ordered early on. Not until our entre arrived did we have time to remind the wait staff that he hadn't received his wine. It came eventually as well as our very small chicken satay appetizer which was peanut sized: 4 small skewers. And I mean small. I ordered the chicken Masala curry at $11 and it was the smallest amount of food, even with ordering rice which does not come with the dish at an extra $2. It was literally 4 small pieces of chicken mixed with some potatoes in a curry sauce. My husband's Pad Thai was o.k but even he was not full when all done. We paid our check and said never again.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

My friends and I were using Yelp to help us decide what to eat. For some reason we decided to eat here despite the harsh, but entertaining reviews. The cute waitress wasn't quite able to answer our questions about the wine, so the owner called us over, let us try a few different ones and made recommendations. Excellent service!

The food was delicious! Chicken skewer appetizer with a peanut sause, and the entree was just as good. My friend had something with scallops, she felt they were not fully cooked. She informed the waiter who had the cook whip up another batch. The owner then came over and poured us all a round of plum wine (I think). We drank free booze, I ate the alleged under cooked seafood (not under cooked in my opinion - she's just a picky girl), and a good time was had by all. Highly recommend this place.

1  Thank tenaciousme
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Saeng's is very nice on the inside. Great ambiance, nicely decorated. We had pretty good service. Tried the green papaya salad. Needed more flavor. Found it interesting that they mixed thin slices of lime in with the salad. My husband ordered vegetarian red curry. It was filled with assorted veggies, which he loves. The curry itself was ok. Not quite as flavorful as we would have liked. I wasn't too thrilled with what I ordered. On the menu it clearly stated I'd be getting stir-fried veggies with lots of Thai basil. A basic Thai basil stir fry- seems simple enough. What I got was mushy onions and peppers in a gravy that tasted like canned Chinese food, and suffice it to say, there was no basil. At least the fish that came with the veggies was cooked quite well, and was flavorful.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

The food is great, the service is so-so. The Pad Thai is very good. The wife had curry that was excellent. Portions could have been larger, but the price was absolutely right. The place doesn't look like much on the outside, but it's very nice and clean on the inside. The wait staff was hit-or-miss, but the food made it worth the hassle. Will return when the mood for Thai hits again.