“hectic service but awesome food”

Boots & Kimo's Homestyle Kitchen
Ranked #13 of 160 Restaurants in Kailua
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed July 2, 2016

As others have warned - had to wait to get a table. We were a medium sized family group but came on a weekday hoping to avoid the wait. It was still worth it - only 20 min. Amazed how many Japanese tourists w/guidebook in hand and tour groups were there. Nice that they have an international following. Split the macadamia pancakes and fried rice and it was just enough for my tiny stomach, though they were so good I could've eaten both on my own. The kids enjoyed their pancakes with fruit on the side. The seating is a bit crammed into this tiny space and with servers buzzing around it is not a place to come for a relaxing meal. But I appreciate that they try to do a quick turn around for the never ending line at the door.

Date of visit: April 2016
Write a ReviewReviews (1,321)

Reviewed July 1, 2016

Besides good food, Boots & Kimo's seems to be a very good company as they give back to the community. The restaurant has a sports theme, good service, and good food. We've been there 4-5 times.

It's best to get there at opening as sometimes the tour buses will stuff up the restaurant and make you wait.

SUGGESTION- The food is not cheap so it is very strange that they do not accept credit cards.

Reviewed June 16, 2016

I've eaten here twice: once I was up to watch sunrise so was here 30 minutes before opening and was still number 3 in line. The second time, we were camping and it was pouring that AM, and we got here just as the rain let up. I hopped out of the car at the red light and ran in, as 3 other cars behind us did the same. My boyfriend said literally 6 other cars pulled into the lot after he had parked and was walking in to meet me inside.
What I'm saying is that yes, the wait can be as bad as it seems to the point you don't bother going here.
My hairstylist grew up/has family nearby and even she has not eaten here in years because she doesn't want to deal with the hassle when she comes home to visit.
With that being said, the angst of everyone milling around outside sucks, as does the time spent milling. The Mac nut pancakes are that good, although I'm sure I'm probably eating a mix of Cool Whip and something? It doesn't matter... it's like eating cotton candy. You know it's not the best for you, but it's so darn tasty! They've got a lock on that dish.
The rest of the food is ok. Basic diner, coffee shop stuff. Really not worth the wait. Would be fine if there wasn't such a wait, but given the taste, quality, and service, I'd much prefer just to hit Whole Foods' hot breakfast bar if I'm looking to head out.
My friend from Japan and her mother had their hopes set on Boots and Kimo's but not for the wait. They finally suggested it would be OK to leave after we had been there waiting for awhile. I asked them what about Boots and Kimo's did they really want to eat, so I could make another comparable rec? They said it wasn't so much there was specific food, but that the place had been put on a "must-do" itinerary that I guess is popular for people from Japan to check off. So for them, it wasn't so much the actual food as being able to say they had dined there.
With that said... If you can manage to get in without a long wait, then drop in. But I wouldn't necessarily rec hauling over from the other side of the island and/or making the kids wait just to dine here. Apologies to Boots and Kimo's about this.

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed June 11, 2016 via mobile

We waited 35 minutes to be seated, was originally told it was an hour wait. The food was okay, nothing to rave about and they only take cash.

Reviewed June 10, 2016 via mobile

Waited 1 hour and 20 minutes fora table guest you gotta know the hostess to get get seated sooner ? First of all had the famous macadamia nut pancakes which was good sauce on top of pancake taste like hagendaz ice cream heated? Everything else on the menu is just average . I had better breakfast @ KOA pancake house which is 100 times better and cheaper. If you have time waiting 1.5 hour to try the pancake .. Go ahead. But I won't be returning again......