“Breakfast and Great Staff”
Review of Big City Diner

Big City Diner
Ranked #23 of 145 Restaurants in Kailua
Cuisines: American, Hawaiian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
“Breakfast and Great Staff”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Always on our must stop in places in Kailua. The staff very friendly and always very accommodating. Some of them know us now just from coming in over the years. We have always had very good breakfasts there. If the same staff is there and the food is always great what is not to love about.

• Visited October 2013

Schenectady, New York
“Eh, just ok”
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

2nd visit here, always some local cops at a table so that's not a bad sign. Apple pancakes were hard as if they came out of a toaster oven with canned apples on top, not so good. They graciously took them off the bill when we mentioned it. French toast was delicious. 2 eggs over fried rice was tasty and enough for 2 meals. Overall I wouldn't hurry back.

Visited July 2013
Madera, California
“Nice place to find”
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

This is a little diner jewel in Kailua. Local dishes and twists on the favorites make this a place to come back to again and again. Take a chance on something you haven't tried before, you won't be disappointed.

• Visited July 2013
Mill Valley, California
“Big City Diner is Small City Find”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

So Cinnamon’s wait was 45 minutes on this President’s holiday. Everyone in Kailua apparently goes to Cinnamon’s. On weekends the place spills out into the building patio more than doubling the seating capacity but since the kitchen doesn’t expand, the food takes a long while to come, effectively making you think you’re getting seated to order then eat but really just to move the wait from before getting seated to between ordering and eating. What does that mean? Gotta go elsewhere, bro.
Enter Big City Dinner. We call ahead and ask how long the wait is there. She says, no wait. I pause, repeat, “no wait?” Answer, no wait. Can I give you my name to be on the list? She says sure but how far away are you? I say 5 minute (dropping the ‘’s” is my attempt at pidgen to let her know not to mess with a bro, eh?) She say, sure. We go.
Less than 5 minutes later we’re seated at a booth checking out a very extensive menu. The place is about ⅓ bar and the rest a mix of tables and booths made to look dineresque. There’s some outdoor seating under umbrellas as well. The waitstaff were all friendly and helpful but I noticed some were more so than others, still they were all pleasant and helpful, refilling our empties within a reasonable time frame.
The breakfast options include daily specials but since today is president’s holiday, there are no specials, all replaced with eggs benedict. No problem I want to go local so I pass up the pancakes, french toast, omelets, hash browns and go for fried rice with two eggs on top. To make it healthy (healthier) I ask for poached eggs as if less a teaspoon of oil is going to stop that heart attack. The senior citizen/in law across the way says, they know for their fried rice. I can’t figure out why. Sure it’s filled with bits of barbequed pork, pits of scrambled eggs, peas and topped with fresh green onions but the taste is a bit bland. I generously sprinkle on Aloha Soy Sauce and it helps, but not much. The other tablemates both get an order of papaya, which I think smells a bit like vomit. They each get a full half a fruit, about the size of a baby’s head, very generous and apparently sweet (did I say it smells like vomit? how can that be sweet, yuck). One of them digs into the two big pancakes of his pancake sandwich which bends his fork. Yes the fork is thin but still, bend a piece of metal? It comes with two strips of crispy bacon, two smallish skinless breakfast sausages and two eggs. A very healthy breakfast for a healthy appetite. The one across from me is happy with her half of vomit fruit and 4 pieces of sourdough toast (sourdough in Hawaii, who heard of such a thing?).
I’d come again even if I had to wait. Wouldn’t order the pancakes, the fried rice or papaya (it still smells like vomit, doesn’t it?) but I’d like to try the other dishes, judging by the neighboring orders and the crispy bacon and well cooked to order eggs.

• Visited February 2013
“Worse place to come”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

So my boyfriend and I came here for a nice lunch.. Staff was very rude and the manager who sat ur was very unfriendly .. No welcome or anything.. And the menus look like they have been chewed .. And there was a roach in my boyfriends water.. All the waitress said was " oh" and did nothing.. That's pretty gross!!!

• Visited July 2013