“Home away from home”

Donna's Detours - Tours of Oahu
Ranked #6 of 13 Tours in Kailua
More attraction details
Owner description: With a private tour of Oahu you won't waste a moment. Your private tour guide will customize the day based on your interests: scenic lookouts, North Shore, hiking, history, beaches, local foods and more. You decide how much time we spend at sights along the way. We pick you up at your hotel or cruise ship in Honolulu in a clean, air conditioned minivan stocked with bottled water, tropical juices and snacks. Let us create a memorable experience you'll talk about long after you get home from Hawaii. Avoid the big bus!
Baltimore, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Home away from home”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We had the most wonderful tour ever.I felt like we were traveling with a family member we were made to feel right at home.The sites we saw and the knowledge that we gained was amazing.We learned so much on our trip about the Hawaiian cultures and history of the island.The views were breath taking.It was by far the best money that we spent on our Vacation.God Bless Donna's Detours giving us a tour of a lifetime. Mahalo

2 Thank Valerie P

Newcastle, Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Fantastic short customised tour”
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Donna planned an amazing trip around the East coast of Oahu for us on very short notice and we absolutely loved it. Donna was extremely knowledgeable and spoke at length about Hawaiian history, flora, the current political climate, and where to see the most breathtaking natural and cultural sites. She gave a great background to every site we visited.

Donna made the trip very easy to organise and was easy to communicate with via mobile phone and email prior. Donna picked us up (precisely on time) in a well-appointed and spacious minivan and had a cooler with drinks all ready for the trip. Donna’s driving was excellent and safe.

Donna kept up a good pace, but at each site ensured that we had ample time to enjoy and explore, so the end result was that we managed to see an awful lot in the 4 hours we spent with her. Our favourite destination was the summer palace of King Kamehameha III, although relaxing and eating amazing shaved ice on the spectacular beach at Kailua was a real highlight too.

This tour was perfect for us, as we got to see some of the best parts of Oahu in the very short period of time we had available. We would definitely book a tour again with Donna and have no hesitations in recommending this highly personable, informative and professional tour guide to anyone seeking a thorough, personalised private tour.

1 Thank Hayley G
Donna A, Owner at Donna's Detours - Tours of Oahu, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Mahalo for allowing me to share some of your precious honeymoon moments and for the photo of Makapu'u Beach. All the best for a long life together. I hope you'll return someday and spend a little more time on Oahu. Aloha, Donna
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

My husband and I don't drive (we're from a big city) and were faced with the dilemma of how to see Oahu without spending a fortune on cab fare. Donna was the perfect solution!

She tailored the tour to suit our needs and was a wealth of information regarding Hawaiian history, culture, and pop culture. She even adjusted her tour somewhat as she discovered more about what we liked and were drawn to in Hawaii.

Aside from that, she is also a really funny, talkative person and just a lot of fun. I highly recommend her tour.

1 Thank Megan S
Donna A, Owner at Donna's Detours - Tours of Oahu, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Thanks Megan. I enjoyed our adventure together, from Agnes' malasadas to Ted's pies, from Kaka'ako's new murals to Kamaka's ukuleles. Aloha til next time, Donna.
Rome, Italy
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Don't hire for Pearl Harbor”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Donna is very nice. She was right on time to pick us up at our hotel and already had tickets for Pearl Harbor. Our 14 year old is a huge history enthusiast so Pearl Harbor was a must. Donna lacked knowledge about the island, plants and WWII or she opted not to tell us. We had a private guide on Maui two days after this tour. That guide talked about all the different trees, plants, ocean, animals, people, politics and history for 8 hours straight! She had maps, pictures, etc, laminated and ready as she narrated. Donna had nothing. You don't need a guide for Pearl Harbor unless you are afraid to drive. In that case, hire a taxi. It's well worth going to Pearl Harbor but you don't need a guide. Try to buy tickets for the show ahead of time. A guide is helpful if you want to see hidden beaches, waterfalls etc. but not needed for Pearl Harbor.

Visited December 2013
Donna A, Owner at Donna's Detours - Tours of Oahu, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I try to get a sense of clients’ expectations as we pull away from their hotel or cruise ship; in your case I failed. I appreciate your point about Pearl Harbor being easily-accessible and will make sure to add more local color to the experience. Laminated hand-outs will soon make an appearance as well. If ever you return to Oahu, I hope you will take another tour, on me. Aloha, Donna
Kuala Lumpur
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Customised tour of Oahu”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I had contacted Donna to organize a tour for myself to circumnavigate Oahu to go on a penny pressing hobby mission.

Donna went out of her way to make the tour interesting - by not just stopping at penny pressing locations around the island, but also making stops along the way at sightseeing locations - thanks to her, I was lucky enough to be on the North Shore to see waves as high as 50' as well as witness pro surfers getting ready for the Eddie Aikau Memorial event!

She is a wealth of information regarding the history of the island, its habitants, the royal lineage as well as the numerous locations around Oahu used in movie & TV sets - have made it a point to watch some of the movies that Donna iterated as having been shot on the island; The Descendants being one that I caught on the plane heading back home .

Excellent email communications prior to my arrival in Honolulu ensured that I had to look out for a lady in dressed in a pink top driving a silver MPV at the designated time. Donna arrived on time and my adventure for that day got on the way - a very safe & courteous driver; always adhering to the speed limit - so for those thinking of using her services can be rest assured that safety measures are paramount to her.

She came well stocked with a cooler filled with food & drinks - which I didn't take full advantage off ... haha!! A great personality, Donna is a very charming individual & utterly professional in ensuring that I met my objective in getting as many pennies pressed to add to my collection. I was hardly rushed at any of the locations - Donna made sure that I did things at my own pace; which I guess was the main reason for picking a customised tour package.

If it's possible, do ask Donna to take you guys to Hula Dogs in Hale'iwa - best fast food meal I've had in a very long time; washed down with great freshly squeezed lemonade. Also, Donna has her favourite macadamia & coffee place - free samples galore and she has a technique in tasting the numerous flavoured macadamias; which helped me savour the freebies all the more - well worth the visit; as the prices are certainly not as pricey as what you would need pay for on Waikiki.

Over the 9 hours that I spent in her company and very capable hands, she gradually became a friend; ending up with swapping stories about our respective families, aspirations for the years ahead, politics and the distinct differences in living standards between our 2 countries.

I certainly hope to visit Oahu again - with my family this time and without any hesitation will ask Donna to take us around the beautiful island of Oahu .... and yes, more Hula Dogs for me!!

In summary, without any hesitation would recommend Donna's Detour to anyone who would like a tour of Oahu that is stress free and works on our own pace. Mahalo Donna for a great experience.

Visited January 2014
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

1 Thank Anselm D
Donna A, Owner at Donna's Detours - Tours of Oahu, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Mahalo, Anselm, for introducing me to your hobby of penny-pressing - from Sea Life Park to Kualoa Ranch, Haleiwa Town and Pearl Harbor. One more option for my tour portfolio. We ate some good food and solved many of the world's problems over the course of the day. Looking forward to meeting your family soon. Aloha, Donna