“Mexican Fusion from a locavore chef !”
Review of Cactus

Cactus
Reserve with OpenTable
Cactus is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 148 Restaurants in Kailua
Cuisines: Brazilian, Chilean, Latin, Mexican
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hamakua Drive
Transit: Bus 57
Description: Cactus is "a celebration of the cuisines of the new Americas with Aloha," transporting the flavors, culinary traditions and techniques from Central and South America as well as Cuba, Puerto Rico and Mexico.Offering the cuisines of the sun, land and sea, Cactus menu selections focuses on:•Local produce from the islands•Shinsato Farms pork from Kahalu’u•Kulana and Kuahiwi beef, veal, wild boar from the Big Island•Sustainably caught or farmed seafood from the island chainDrop-in or reserve a table in our casual, convivial environment with warm, engaging, professional service.
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Our first dinner at this cozy restaurant, and my sole criticism is the lighting is too bright and could be dimmed. Four of us shared the boar empanadas-delish, and I loved my vegetarian enchilada. My husband had the Ahi Tostada, which was a special that nite and very good, others had the steak and a seafood special. The service was excellent, drinks were very good, and with a reservation, waited only five minutes on a busy Saturday nite. Try it - you will like it!!

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I have been here more than once, and each time I find the food to be quite delicious. I personally love the shrimp tacos, and the bean dip is amazing. The waitstaff is very nice, and twice I have had the waitress Tessa, who was very helpful in helping us find our meal. I come here sometimes and although it's not 5 star, give it a try!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Went there in November for lunch and liked it very much....went last night for dinner and had a totally different experience....granted, I could have chosen the wrong menu option this time....ordered some kind of croquette with a catchy, Spanish name....began to order just the appetizer of this concoction, but the waitress (who was very nice, prompt, caring, friendly, with a genuinely great attitude) recommended the main course....so I ordered it....
Presentation lovely, food totally tasteless....as I am typing this, I am eating the leftovers (I brought half my dinner home) and it is still tasteless....heading for the wastebasket in a moment...
On a brighter note, the house red wine was excellent, but I failed to catch the name and vintage. Doubt that I will return.....unfortunately....I love South America and I love the food I have had there....

Reviewed January 23, 2013

A focus on meat dishes done in a Latino style characterizes this pleasant restaurant. The Argentinian fry bread makes for a nice appetizer. My friend had a delicious pork entree that was a little skimpy on portion size. When the manager heard about it, she immediately cut his charge in half.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

It was just okay. I'm in no rush to return. I'd heard mixed reviews from friends. Our dishes were very very average - nothing to write home about. Their concept was good, but follow through not so good