“A Great Choice While on Oahu”
Review of The Grove - CLOSED

The Grove
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Kuulei Street
Chicago, Illinois
“A Great Choice While on Oahu”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

We enjoyed a lovely meal dining on the outdoor patio at The Grove, and I have to tell you, it is one of the better choices for an upscale dining experience on Oahu. We found the location and ambiance pleasant, the service proficient, and the food delicious. Now, I hate to do this, but I will qualify. Overall, we have had a lot of disappointing meals on Oahu where we have spent a lot of time over the past few years. The average tourist must not be very discerning, there is just a lot of bad food at high prices. The prices at The Grove are not cheap, but they are fair given the quality. This is a comfortable, not pretentious restaurant. The night we were there the owner mad e his way to every table, talked with each and every customer, and wanted to ensure that everyone was enjoying their meal. Everything we had was delicious, and it is perhaps the only restaurant we will make sure to visit again on our next trip.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank chi-twn99

“Nice opening dining and bar area”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I wanted to like this place but I wasn't impressed. The food was average, especially for the price. The inside decor kind of felt like a cafeteria but the outdoor dining is much nicer.
The drinks are creative but a bit expensive.
They have singers performing a few nights a week which can be entertaining if you like 70's soft rock songs.

Visited November 2013
Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
“Menu is lacking along with taste and cocktail quality...”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I am a long-time resident of Kailua and often visit restaurants to spare the wife having to make the evening dinner. We usually keep to Kailua Town and decided to try The Grove because they offered a dinner groupon. So, before heading to the Opera, we decided to cash in our groupon and save a few bucks. Unfortunately this was not the case. We were informed that the groupon could only be used Monday thru Thursday. I found this interesting because most people wouldn't visit The Grove during a weekday because it appears to be a high end restaurant. We ordered anyway. The waitress seemed nice and provided us with recommendations for dinner. My wife ordered the Opah with mashed potatoes and assorted vegetables. I decided to order the beef and cabbage soup and a li hing mui margarita as a cocktail. About 5 minutes later the waitress arrived with the cocktail which I thought was rather small in comparison to other places I've drank at. The margarita was very watery and didn't produce the tart alcohol taste I expected in a margarita. I finished the drink and didnt order another. A few minutes later the waitress brought a basket of bread and tomato basil dip. It tasted great and we finished the basket. The dinner items arrived about 15 minutes later and my wife immediately sent it back as it tasted cold. The inside of her fish was nearly ice cold and the potatoes were warm at best. I tried the dish as well and she made a good tempurature call. The waitress kindly took the plate back and had the chef make a completely new dish. The second dish had the perfect tempurature. Unfortunately all the food had little to no taste. The fish tasted like it has been lightly seasoned with garlic salt and placed on a keawe grill. Nothing fancy! The beef and cabbage soup that I order had a nice tast too it and which I had the wife finish. She wasn't happy at all with the food. I expected more.

Here are a few initial recommendations and observations that I think you should know if you decide to eat here:

1. The restaurant is dimly lit and great for pupus and social gatherings.
2. Expect the bar to be packed with locals, not of Polynesian decent.
3. Suggest making a reservation but usual accommodating
4. The overall temperature within the restaurant is pleasant. They do have ceiling fans if it gets too hot.
5. Parking can be a problem on the weekends. I would suggest parking at McDonalds, grabbing a burger, than meet your date.
6. Don’t order any fish keawe cooked as it’s lightly seasoned and will taste like fish jerky. Suggest ordering the shrimp cocktail or prime rib.

• Visited October 2013
South Florida, Florida
“Enjoyable corner restaurant”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Situated on a street corner in Kailua, this bar and grill had a lovely, covered outdoor seating area for live music (guitar player/singer, very nice sound) as well as outdoor bar area and dining area. I'd like to have seen more seafood offerings, but they did have a nice list of appetizers, entrees and desserts. We shared a bottle of wine as well as our dinners, both of which we enjoyed. The salmon was cooked to order, but the shrimp was on the tough side. Very nice job with the flavors of the meal, prices a little on the high side, service mostly attentive. Their website said open 5-10, an article in local paper said 3-10, we called to make reservations and they said no dinner seating until 5:30 so that was confusing. Nice ambiance and meal overall.

• Visited October 2013
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Good food Friendly service”
Reviewed October 18, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

We went there in a Groupon, read other reviews that were kinda iffy , but we dined out on the patio, the staff was very friendly, the service was quick and efficient, the food was great!

We went early and took advantage of the HAPPY HOUR, great drink specials and small dishes, then we had dinner!

Go, it's a great deal via Groupon, we would return.

Visited September 2013