“Menu is lacking along with taste and cocktail quality...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Grove - CLOSED

The Grove
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Kuulei Street
Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
“Menu is lacking along with taste and cocktail quality...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

I am a long-time resident of Kailua and often visit restaurants to spare the wife having to make the evening dinner. We usually keep to Kailua Town and decided to try The Grove because they offered a dinner groupon. So, before heading to the Opera, we decided to cash in our groupon and save a few bucks. Unfortunately this was not the case. We were informed that the groupon could only be used Monday thru Thursday. I found this interesting because most people wouldn't visit The Grove during a weekday because it appears to be a high end restaurant. We ordered anyway. The waitress seemed nice and provided us with recommendations for dinner. My wife ordered the Opah with mashed potatoes and assorted vegetables. I decided to order the beef and cabbage soup and a li hing mui margarita as a cocktail. About 5 minutes later the waitress arrived with the cocktail which I thought was rather small in comparison to other places I've drank at. The margarita was very watery and didn't produce the tart alcohol taste I expected in a margarita. I finished the drink and didnt order another. A few minutes later the waitress brought a basket of bread and tomato basil dip. It tasted great and we finished the basket. The dinner items arrived about 15 minutes later and my wife immediately sent it back as it tasted cold. The inside of her fish was nearly ice cold and the potatoes were warm at best. I tried the dish as well and she made a good tempurature call. The waitress kindly took the plate back and had the chef make a completely new dish. The second dish had the perfect tempurature. Unfortunately all the food had little to no taste. The fish tasted like it has been lightly seasoned with garlic salt and placed on a keawe grill. Nothing fancy! The beef and cabbage soup that I order had a nice tast too it and which I had the wife finish. She wasn't happy at all with the food. I expected more.

Here are a few initial recommendations and observations that I think you should know if you decide to eat here:

1. The restaurant is dimly lit and great for pupus and social gatherings.
2. Expect the bar to be packed with locals, not of Polynesian decent.
3. Suggest making a reservation but usual accommodating
4. The overall temperature within the restaurant is pleasant. They do have ceiling fans if it gets too hot.
5. Parking can be a problem on the weekends. I would suggest parking at McDonalds, grabbing a burger, than meet your date.
6. Don’t order any fish keawe cooked as it’s lightly seasoned and will taste like fish jerky. Suggest ordering the shrimp cocktail or prime rib.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

South Florida, Florida
“Enjoyable corner restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

Situated on a street corner in Kailua, this bar and grill had a lovely, covered outdoor seating area for live music (guitar player/singer, very nice sound) as well as outdoor bar area and dining area. I'd like to have seen more seafood offerings, but they did have a nice list of appetizers, entrees and desserts. We shared a bottle of wine as well as our dinners, both of which we enjoyed. The salmon was cooked to order, but the shrimp was on the tough side. Very nice job with the flavors of the meal, prices a little on the high side, service mostly attentive. Their website said open 5-10, an article in local paper said 3-10, we called to make reservations and they said no dinner seating until 5:30 so that was confusing. Nice ambiance and meal overall.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Good food Friendly service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

We went there in a Groupon, read other reviews that were kinda iffy , but we dined out on the patio, the staff was very friendly, the service was quick and efficient, the food was great!

We went early and took advantage of the HAPPY HOUR, great drink specials and small dishes, then we had dinner!

Go, it's a great deal via Groupon, we would return.

Visited September 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Still Good, But Drifting Towards Complacency?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

Aloha, my significant other and I have made at least four, perhaps five, trips to The Grove in Kailua now. Several times have been with friends and a number of occasions have been as a couple. No appreciable difference due to the size of the party as far as I can tell. Relaxing ambiance, consistent with each visit. Each previous time we were impressed with the interesting selections, great tastes, and preparation choices. This last visit, I have to say not as much as the previous. To be fair, perhaps it's my biases and not the food, but my gut tells me that there's been a slight slide towards complacency that we 'felt' in the most recent menu changes and on the part of the staff. (I'm trying to say that I don't have empirical proof that that's true, but it seems like it). Anyway, the specialty cocktails were spot on as usual, the Lime in the Coconut delicious as always and the Mary Agnes Undone intriguing as ever. I did request that the bartender doctor my second Mary Agnes slightly which he did cheerfully. Excellent both ways. I ordered the Mediterranean Chicken Meatballs as an appetizer. They were basically good, nice and hot, but a little bland despite the feta and Mediterranean spices mixed in with the ground chicken meat. The tsaziki sauce (sp?) was nice, but didn't successfully rescue what amounted to deep fried chicken balls. I ordered the burrata salad which was also edible, but being a huge fan of mozzarella di buffala-style cheeses (three years in Campagna, Italy makes me confident about this), I found it uninspiring. The cheese was ok, the tomatoes were ok, the balsamic dressing was ok. It was just Ok. (Truly not sure what possesses many restauranteurs to drizzle everything with basalmic these days, but I guess everyone seems to think that's Italian--I say, "huh"...) I also had the ribeye (which I tend to do in the absence of other choices that pluck a chord of curiosity). The well done rib eye was quite good, but not especially spectacular. My sweetie went with the Mediterranean Chicken which she enjoyed. I tasted it and it was a very nice choice, flavorful definitely. We finished with dessert; the Kalamansi Sorbet was excellent, best part of the whole meal. She had cheesecake which was good, but not devastatingly so. Our bill was about $145 (food, drinks, appetizers, meals, coffee, with tip), but admittedly we each had two drinks to unwind at the start, much needed after seeing Gravity (kinda intense), FYI, we drove home quite sober after a leisurely visit. Good service at the bar, can't say we've ever had bad service there no matter where we've sat. Overall, we'll go back again, but with some slight reservations (pun intended). Hopefully, it was just the movie beforehand that made me anxious. Aloha!

Honolulu, Hawaii
“The Grove in Kailua is worth it.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

A party of three. We had the monchong fish with truffle potatoes. Amazing Brussel sprout salad. Excellent sauce and vegetables. My husband went for the traditional fish n chips special. A whole new take on fish and chips. My daughter had vegetable linguine. Vegetable fresh and crisp, the sauce flavourful. Great dessert but they need an espresso machine.

1 Thank silverleaf7674