“Stay Away !!”

Windward WaterSports
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Windward Watersports offers a full range of ocean activities, including: Kaying, snorkeling, surfing, standup paddleboarding, bike rentals and kiteboarding! Come in today or checkout our website for more information!
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Stay Away !!”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

STAY AWAY !! I purchased 3 single kayak rentals on GROUPON. I made a reservation 2 days prior and was told the kayak's were available for the day of my reservation. I called the morning of the kayaking day asking for directions and was not told of any problem. I drove 45 minutes to get there with my family and when I arrived, I was told there were no single kayak's available. The receptionist told me that she has called me and left me a message, but this was a lie. She then told me I could have a triple kayak for the same money I had paid. When I asked to see the triple kayak, I was shown a 2+1 kayak which is really only suitable for 2 adults and not the 3 adults in our party. In addition, that kayak normally rents for much less than I had paid. I asked to speak to the owner, but he was not answering his phone. After about 30 minutes, I was told that there were no life jackets available so all the talk of taking a different kayak was a waste of time! I asked for a refund and was given a refund receipt, but later that night, the owner texted me to say that he could not directly provide a refund. I am still waiting on my refund. The owner also called me to apologize and offer a free rental, but if a paid and reserved kayak order is not fulfilled, can you imagine what they would do with a free one !!?? It seems to me that this outfit was able to rent kayaks at a higher rate than I had paid on Groupon and did so with no concern for me or my family. We wasted a day of our vacation which also happened to be the last day of our vacation. Despite making the reservation in advance, confirming twice in advance and paying in advance, they still gave away our kayaks and wasted our time getting there and back as well as more time trying to get us into an unsuitable kayak which in the end they didn't even have lifejackets for !! Even worse, we were provided with lies (left a message, gave a refund, etc). IMAGINE...they don't have enough lifejackets !!?? While I was in the store, there was another family there who had had the same experience as me and was there for fulfillment of their previous reservation !! There are other outfits in Kailua that rent kayaks. DON'T waste your vacation time and money with Windward watersports. Find another reputable outfit to do business with. The prices elsewhere are the same and you don't get the lies, aggravation, wasted time, false apologies and wasted vacation time!!

Visited March 2014
5 Thank mike h
kaitown, Owner at Windward WaterSports, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Aloha Mike,

Let me start off by apologizing again. There was no excuse for what happened. It came down to an accidental over booking. I promise you that it was nothing more than that. We would never give out pre reserved equipment to a higher paying customer. If that were the case you would see a lot more reviews about that here. This is actually the second time in five years that we had an over booking. We try our hardest to exceed our customers expectations. I am terribly sorry that this ruined your day.
As for the refund- We never charged you so we could not process a refund. You bought your voucher from groupon and they dont pay us until your voucher is used. They are great about refunds though and will take care of you with a quick phone call.
Our offer stands, if you and your family are ever back here your entire day will be free.

Thanks,

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Kitesurfing is Awesome”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Great experience! The instructors are awesome and great teachers for the most addicted adrenaline based sport. So cool watching the instructors launch over 30 feet in the air after my lesson. Kailua beach is the perfect beach to learn!

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Joey H
Kailua, Hawaii
“Friendly service, good value and lots of fun”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I have hired a two person kayak and a stand-up paddle board from these guys. They are easy to deal with, its good value for the time you get and the equipment is well maintained.

Visited February 2014
Shaker Heights, Ohio
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Paddleboards and Kayaks and a deal”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We got a great deal here using a Groupon for half off.
They help you load on your car and gave good advice on what to do.
They are not on the beach so you need to move everything yourself.
So if you are lazy dont go here.
We will be back next trip

Visited February 2014
1 Thank stymie77
Stoughton, Wisconsin
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Kayaking to the Moke's!”
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

We got lucky and rented a tandem kayak from these folks. What a wonderful day! The young men working here were wonderful in sharing their advice & enthusiasm for the area & kayaking in general! Thanks to some superb advice, we had an easy time getting to a seldom used beach to put our kayak in & a sweet ride over to the islands! We had been for warned about the waves at landing & managed them like pros! We hiked to the backside of the island & saw pristine beauty that few get to experience! There is a place to jump in if you are brave but we were told to watch the waves & if they looked rough to enjoy the scenery but don't do the jump. We opted to just enjoy the scenery & then had a beautiful paddle back to shore! Super friendly guys working here & very knowledgeable! I will definitely be back!

1 Thank M L G