“Scary but worth it”

$195.00*
and up
Path to Pali Passage - 30 Min Helicopter Tour - Doors Off or On
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I did the first peak recently, for the first time. It's a decent walk uphill to get near the top, but there are trees on either side so nothing too dangerous. Closer to the end there are a few sections where some vertical or near-vertical rock climbing is necessary. At most of these places there are old ropes hanging, but after reading some stories online about the old ropes breaking, we decided not to rely on them at all. The view at the top is incredible, but very scary. There is nothing around you except plummeting cliffs. A fall in any direction would mean certain death.

1  Thank Oliver C

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Did this hike without doing much research or knowing what to expect and was completely blown away by the views. Out of this world!

However, the hike is at times extremely dangerous! We did only the first peak and as we neared the peak, it got quite scary. You could easily fall to your death if you made a wrong step. Be prepared and know what you are getting yourself into!

2  Thank belgiumU
Reviewed March 5, 2014

This is a great half day activity for visitors to Oahu. My wife and I did this 10 days ago and it took us 3 hours up and down. We are in good shape, so I'd expect most people should plan on 4-5 hours. BRING WATER! It's hot and strenuous and you may dehydrate.

The top has a few rocky sections that have guide ropes to assist you. If you are in any way physically impaired or very out of shape you may not want to attempt this hike. I would not say this is a dangerous hike although others here have. That said, my wife was terrified at the top, but she scares easy. She was more scared when we hiked the Kalalau trail on Kauai and she is super glad she did both.

The views hiking the ridge and on top are super. If you want a little adventure and a decent workout,,, GO FOR IT! and enjoy!

1  Thank surfKiev
Reviewed February 10, 2014

What a great hike! no idea where to start, but here goes:
Easy to find the beginning if you just plan on traveling to the Royal Hawaiian golf course, just search google and/or maps for that, and the rest is easy. You park on the street before the guard house, and then head on up.
Tips -- 1) Yes many cars get broken into, my thoughts: bring NOTHING valuable and leave ur car open, let the crooks look around, who cars, that way they dont break the window or anything. I did NOT see anything fishy, nor any cars broken into, and there were many hikers. 2) Be nice to the guard guy, but dont listen to him... one of them seems normal/wise, but most are somewhat mal-intentioned. By that I mean, I doubt they like us coming there, so they discourage tourists. He told us on our day, weather is horrible, dangerous, dont go... we went anyway, and there was not one single issue that was weather related...
Absolutely have to do this hike if you are in hawaii! You can stop just before the first peak, and there is really nothing uncomfortable, and still worth all the views and nice exercise.
Kids can easily do 95% of the first peak. We had a 9 and 15 year old, and no difficulties.
I cannot stress enough how wonderful the views were and how great it felt to be out there.
Bring some water, and snacks, if you are stopping at first peak, it will only take 2.5 hours or so, thus, you do not need too much.
Have fun.

2  Thank TheDrJason
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I think the other reviews don't sufficiently convey how dangerous this hike is. It's beyond being scary - I could easily imagine falling to a severe injury or even death. The view at the top is awesome, but you'd better know what you're getting into. We went up to the top of the first peak, but if we'd known what the hike would be like, I don't think we would've chosen this hike.

Much of the trail involves ascending and descending very steep, muddy paths. There are ropes and tree roots to help, but you still have to be very careful. Some parts are genuine rock climbing on near-vertical slopes, with long drop-offs on the side. (But you're doing this without the benefit of safety equipment.)

If you go, make sure the chance of rain is very low, as rain would've made this even more slippery.

That said, the view is awesome from the top, and the experience of being on a narrow ridge is pretty exciting. So I can see why this hike is so highly rated by the other reviewers, but I want to temper that by pointing out that it really is dangerous!

For a similar view without the danger, I'd suggest going to the Pali Lookout instead. (Go there even if you do this hike - it's one of my favorite spots on Oahu.) Even better would be if they would re-open the Haiku Stairs - that looks like it would be a better view, a similar experience of being on a ridge, and much safer.

7  Thank Steve S