“Exciting”

29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Exciting”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Well, I made it, albeit only the first peak. The bus driver told us where to go after we got off the bus and the guard at the Hawaiian golf club told us of landmarks to watch out for as people have been getting disorientated on the way down. Some mud on the first part of the climb us which was no biggy, then you climb out into the open and the views are out of this world, I got a bit anxious with the rope ascents at the top, but we made it. It was so worthwhile.

We bought snacks and lots of water for the climb, much needed, and of course do not forget your camera, those pictures are so worth it.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank annpan

• Korean first
Hawaii
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Difficult But Worth It.”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is one of the Most difficult hikes I've ever done. These peaks are behind my house. I finally got to a fitness level where I felt I would be able to handle it. Make sure you have good shoes, water and snacks. There is lots of mud and the trail can b slippery. There are also several points where you actually have to climb ropes. Don't try this hike unless your reasonably fit. If your not,c. Would suggest Maunawili Falls for a hike in the area. The views from the top of Olomana are breathtaking. I really felt a sense of accomplishment after completing this hike.

Visited March 2013
3 Thank Martinibird
Jackson, Wyoming
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Scrambling on a Knife Edge!”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

My wife actually found this hike. I was a bit skeptical, since we typically do our hiking in Grand Teton National Park, where a mountain is laughable if it's under 10,000 feet. I have to say, I was dead wrong about this one.
The trail is steep and moderately challenging, and then you get to the scrambles on the first peak. They start out benignly enough, but before long, you're working your way up a 20 foot ridge, with a pretty healthy drop on either side. Being a bit of an adrenaline junkie, I rather enjoyed the wind gusts hitting me as I summited peak #1.
Then, you descend, with several downclimb spots, to the quick trail leading over to the second peak, which, once you've begun the ascent, is pretty much a straight line scramble to the top.
The third peak is the exciting one, as you feel like you're climbing the teeth of a combat knife that belongs to some ancient giant. The downclimb along the same route is remarkably fun as well.
Overall, it took us about 3 hours round trip, but that time may have been partially due to our dangerous habit of bombing down the trail far too quickly to be considered safe during our descent ;)

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Gijoey762
Lindenwold NJ
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Challenging and Sometimes Dangerous”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Every time I drive down the Pali or through Kailua I can see the three peaks of Olomana Trail and it makes me smile. It is a challenge, don't be fooled. It is a long day so plan on bringing enough water and some trail snacks, and do not forget your camera. Be prepared for some narrow trails and some vertical challenges but you will be just fine if your in average physical shape.

Visited September 2013
Hilton, NY
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“For 67 year old me--tiring.”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

While not over weight, 45 mins./day on the treadmill did not prepare me for this hike/climb.It had rained lightly in AM so trail was muddy. I was glad I wore hiking boots. Peruse the photos people have posted here, they give a pretty good idea of what the trail looks like. Be prepared for hand-over-hand climbing. I did the first peak . Apparently, most people stop after 1st peak. I can see why. Supposedly peaks 2 & 3 are harder. Really, anyone under 60 should be able to handle this hike. If your over 60 &/or sedentary it could be tough. Having said that there were a few people on the trail that were at least my age & they were moving right along.I guess if you stop and take enough rests (& hydrate) most can do it. Incredible views!!

Visited August 2013