“Scrambling on a Knife Edge!”

Olomana Three Peaks Trail
Ranked #10 of 38 things to do in Kailua
Jackson, Wyoming
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Scrambling on a Knife Edge!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

My wife actually found this hike. I was a bit skeptical, since we typically do our hiking in Grand Teton National Park, where a mountain is laughable if it's under 10,000 feet. I have to say, I was dead wrong about this one.
The trail is steep and moderately challenging, and then you get to the scrambles on the first peak. They start out benignly enough, but before long, you're working your way up a 20 foot ridge, with a pretty healthy drop on either side. Being a bit of an adrenaline junkie, I rather enjoyed the wind gusts hitting me as I summited peak #1.
Then, you descend, with several downclimb spots, to the quick trail leading over to the second peak, which, once you've begun the ascent, is pretty much a straight line scramble to the top.
The third peak is the exciting one, as you feel like you're climbing the teeth of a combat knife that belongs to some ancient giant. The downclimb along the same route is remarkably fun as well.
Overall, it took us about 3 hours round trip, but that time may have been partially due to our dangerous habit of bombing down the trail far too quickly to be considered safe during our descent ;)

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Gijoey762

• Korean first
Lindenwold NJ
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Challenging and Sometimes Dangerous”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

Every time I drive down the Pali or through Kailua I can see the three peaks of Olomana Trail and it makes me smile. It is a challenge, don't be fooled. It is a long day so plan on bringing enough water and some trail snacks, and do not forget your camera. Be prepared for some narrow trails and some vertical challenges but you will be just fine if your in average physical shape.

Visited September 2013
Hilton, NY
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“For 67 year old me--tiring.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

While not over weight, 45 mins./day on the treadmill did not prepare me for this hike/climb.It had rained lightly in AM so trail was muddy. I was glad I wore hiking boots. Peruse the photos people have posted here, they give a pretty good idea of what the trail looks like. Be prepared for hand-over-hand climbing. I did the first peak . Apparently, most people stop after 1st peak. I can see why. Supposedly peaks 2 & 3 are harder. Really, anyone under 60 should be able to handle this hike. If your over 60 &/or sedentary it could be tough. Having said that there were a few people on the trail that were at least my age & they were moving right along.I guess if you stop and take enough rests (& hydrate) most can do it. Incredible views!!

2 Thank djmes
Lyons, New York
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Excellent views if you can make the climb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

Started out as a simple walk in the woods. Ended up being a rock climbing adventure. Be sure to bring plenty of water with you. We made the mistake of only bringing one bottle each. We only went to the first peak which is the highest and offers the best views. The 2nd and 3rd peaks in my opinion are not worth the hike. Simply put the risk just isnt worth the reward. The hike took us comfortably 3 hours to go up and another almost 2 hours to get back down. Some areas are tough and require you to use a rope to climb very large rocks. The views from the first peak are quite possibly some of the best views on the Island. Avoid leaving valuables in your car during the hike. We were warned that car break ins are common where you have to park, as would be thieves know you will be away from your car for hours.

3 Thank steve h
nikitta28
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Treacherous but fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

To start finding the trailhead was close to impossible and we almost bailed. We asked multiple locals that kept directing us to a waterfall hike. Even using the google maps took us to the wrong place. You need to find the gate house of the royal Hawaiian golf course. When you google that it says it doesn't exist! (But it does) ask for directions at the gate house. The hike was VERY technical. I regretted taking my 11 year old son who was in great physical condition but clearly lacked good decision making skills on such a treacherous trail. If you are afraid of heights or lack rock climbing experience this is not for you. That being said...... Fantastic climb, amazing views, gut wrenching foot placements and hand holds. Bring food and water. Be safe. This is an expert climb at the end.

1 Thank nikitta28