TripAdvisor

from $156.02
from $120.42
from $29.00
2,939 results
All reviews kailua beach beach park kite surfers plenty of parking fun to watch white sand windward side warm water boogie boarding bathroom facilities gentle waves fine sand north shore parking spot rent kayaks waikiki shade
Selected filters
Reviewed January 7, 2006

This was the best beach I have ever visited! I want to go back! It was a bit windy, but I did not care. The sand is perfectly powdery and soft, and the water is warm. I will visit again on my next Hawaii trip.

12  Thank Menmyshadow
Reviewed October 23, 2005

This has to be the best kayaking place on the planet. We have done kayaking in Kauai and Maui, but nothing came close to our day trip to the islands of Kailua. We rented a two-seater kayak at Kailua Sailboards and Kayaks. They were very helpful and showed us a video with all the kayak spots and safety information and off we went. Man, the beach and the water was unreal. White sand and turquoise water. You definitely have to go to the Mokulua islands. It's like paradise out there. What a majestic view. We got beautiful pictures, but I can't figure out how to post them here. After our day on the water we went to a bar/restaurant called Boardrider's for cold beer. Nice local people and good food. Hope you have a similar experience.
Nancy and Victor

19  Thank Coastal28853
Reviewed July 17, 2005

I am currently residing in a vacation rental house, a 4 minute walk down Kailua rd. to Kailua Beach Park, which I have visited 5 times. It is the first beach my wife, daughter and I visited and thus I may be a bit emotionally biased, but I figured I should write a review of my thoughts (whatever they're worth-I guess advice is worth what you pay for it) on the subject of this perfect beach while still fresh in my mind. The park area has multiple entry points by foot or car. There are multiple restrooms with outdoor shower-rinse stations to get the salt water off and the sand out of trunks and snorkel gear. Rinse thoroughly-as sand and friction are not good! There is plenty of parking on M-F, but may have to shark for a spot on Sat/Sun or park on side streets near park. The park is good size with many benches/picnic tables and is very family friendly. Lots of trees (ironwoods someone said) all over the park, shade is good. One picnic table in particular sits atop a bluff of sand and succulent green plants under a large tree opposite a life guard shack. It has unobstructed views down the 50 feet of sand to the turquoise/aquamarine water. Find it by walking directly by Kalapawai market down Kailua Rd into the northern most entrance to the beach park. The park is broken in two parts by a canal that you should not swim in due to runoff from surrounding areas, but if you hypothetically wade out into its ankle/calf deep crystal water you may be treated to seeing a curious spotted puffer fish, I named him Bubba, or a host of laughably menacing crabs which put up a stalwart defensive front, pincers snapping wildly out of the water, only to scatter with your most tentative forward step. (French Crabs?) There is a guy with a big white truck who sells plate lunches (meat/rice/macaroni salad) every day at the south or Lanikai end of the beach park. That entrance to the park has about 20 painted spots plus another 20 or so make-shift spots in the dirt adjacent to the boat ramp. The beach ends just past the boat ramp and then there's a rocky outcropping and then Lanikai beach begins which ain’t half the beach Kailua is, literally and figuratively, but I could talk about that in a different review (however, the sunrise is beautiful at Lanikai, and that is a non-subjective empirical fact confirmed by NASA, having been privileged to watch it three times now). The Kailua beach itself extends north of the beach park about another 2 miles (I walked about half way down then remembered I usually fall down from exhaustion at half that distance, but the view is so great you just keep going and going). It is wide and deep with a gentle slope to the water and has multiple beach access points separated by obscenely overpriced homes if you apply any conventional real estate metric/formula, but then one look at the view and all convention and reason are properly dispensed of. As you walk further north along Kailua bay beach you come to another small but painfully beautiful beach park, Kalama Beach Park, a scaled down version of Kailua Beach Park. Now as for the main attraction at Kailua Beach Park, "that's some high quality H2O", Waterboy quote. The water is clean always, oil slicks never, with poor underwater visibility in morning and evening, but with good visibility in mid-day with more direct sunlight. I've snorkeled from Boat ramp X 1, and north end of beach park X 2, go out 50 yards before you see rock formations, which tend to be partially sand covered but with some coralline growth. Families of Damsel fish, butterfly fish, puffers, and even some bigger fish, looked like Jacks. I spotted a green sea turtle (Honu) my first time in water near boat ramp at south end of beach park. Around 8am. I was so excited I told the first person I saw when I waddled out of the water, a pleasant 30 something local lady going for her morning walk. She said she grew up in Kailua, but hadn't been snorkeling in 15 years, or even swimming in years. I got the impression she thought all beaches looked like Kailua. I set her straight, with a description of the post-apocalyptic, sludge infused, industry gone wild beaches of my mutant childhood. She said she'll go swimming tomorrow. We talked for 25 minutes about life in Kailua/Oahu, what growing up there was like, how real estate has sky-rocketed over last 10 years ( I love real estate, but she brought it up I swear). I met another local as I was loading my snorkel gear into my rental car. We talked for at least 15 minutes about the weather/Kailua/schools/good shopping and she hipped me to an outdoor farmers market every Thursday morning 9-10am only in the junior high school parking lot on Kainalu dr. Cheapest and best produce on island. 2 bucks asking price on a large pineapple and you can haggle which I love. Buy apple bananas as many as you and a close friend can carry. They've done for bananas what tetrahydrocannibinol did for brownies. I don't know what I meant by that. Just remember that air-conditioning, oxygen, the snooze button and these Lilliputian Apple-Bananas all belong on your must have list. The spirit of Hawaii is alive and well in Kailua, Oahu. The beach park is as welcoming as the wonderful people we continue to meet everyday. Mahalo Kailua.

ps. I have 3 weeks to explore Oahu, any requests or questions let me know. Photos are those of beach at Kailua Beach Park, boat ramp, etc.

63  Thank beachbumwannabehubby
Reviewed March 21, 2005

Absolutely the most beautiful beach I have ever been on and not crowded! It's a beach town, with great restaurants that are affordable, our "Cottage" was private and quiet, only 1 block to the beach, and the people are very friendly, not tourist driven.

14  Thank Voyage31074
Reviewed September 20, 2004

When thinking about a return trip to Hawaii after 28 years; my fiance suggested Kailua Beach. After doing some research, it was clear that it would be perfect. When we arrived at the beach, it was the most beautiful, serene, well maintained area I've ever seen. Plenty of parking, waves aplenty, kids loved it! My wedding was perfect; the light wind, the sunset was intense and the memories of that day....if I had to do it again, Kailua Beach Park would be my pick. Within a weeks stay; we went there 5 times!! We also visited other beaches, but none compared to the sand, trees, no rocks, and the beautiful blue green water. Enjoy!! Aloha

18  Thank TrailBlazer29537