“poor service, mediocre food, and a mandatory tip”
Review of Uahi Island Grill

Uahi Island Grill
Ranked #7 of 144 Restaurants in Kailua
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Kahuku, Hawaii
“poor service, mediocre food, and a mandatory tip”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

we opted for this place on our last night on Oahu because it near by to crepes no ka oi just down the street. After reading many great reviews we decided to give it a try. Oops. the waiter kept leaning over me to point at my menu every time he wanted to explain about a dish. Personal space anyone? Then the food was less than great, in fact the island pork fries were nothing more that very wet pulled pork on top of a pile of French fries. It made the fries soggy and the pork cold. My dish was the shrimp lunch plate. The shrimp are served whole, or at least are supposed to be. several of my shrimp tales were separated from their heads, and the heads were just thrown on top. With your plate you can choose white or brown rice, or for two dollars more garlic mashed potatoes. For two dollars, you only get a small scoop (smaller than the rice that it replaced) and I suppose it tastes ok, but come on its about 3 bites. Your drink options are 16 ounce or 24. Basically one refill or two. But they charge you whether you get those refills or not, so be sure you know how much you will drink. The garlic chicken I must admit was great.
To finish our visit off the waiter brought our bill will a $15 tip added. I know some restaurants charge this for large parties but it has always been wrong. This is just a way for someone to offer poor service and still get a tip for it. I believe that if a tip is warranted then one will be left. Forcing a tip is [--]. 5 members of our 7 member party were children, and for this they force a tip. I will never visit this place again.

• Visited September 2013

Napoli
“Very good dinner”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

This was one of our best dinners in Hawaii (Kauai and Oahu). The place is small and nice, it feels warm. Our waiter was friendly and helpful (we ordered a full size dish made in the size of a starter, and they did it without problems- it could sound obvious, but it is not in the US). Food was tasty and flavours well balanced, from the starter to the dessert. I would strongly recommend it, it's well worth the price (we paid for one starter, two mains, two desserts, two glasses of wine 70dollars, tip excluded).

• Visited September 2013
Canada
“Great lunches at this hole in the wall”
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

We were looking for a bite to eat during lunch time in Kailua. After looking up various ratings we settled on visiting Uahi as is was well rated and close by. The service here is really warm and genuine. We had the shrimp with macadamia nut pesto and an ahi tuna sandwich. The seafood was fresh! The sandwich was rather large with lots of tasty aioli. I also loved the pesto shrimp and where else in the world would you eat a macadamia nut pesto!

• Visited August 2013
Reading, Pennsylvania
“Terrific find - I owe you TripAdvisor family”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My wife and I were driving around Oahu on our first day on the island. We were in Kailua around lunchtime and I did a little TripAdvisor searching and found this place. Wow, this was a surprise. Not much to look at from the street but the service was friendly and helpful and the food was great. We both did fish, me a red curry snapper, my wife a garlic ahi. Both were really fresh and exceptional. The menu also had some fun different teas that we tried. This was such a pleasant surprise. I hope we end up in Kailua again soon as I know we won't hesitate to return.

Visited August 2013
Ipswich, Australia
“Best loco moco on the island”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

While looking for a last minute Sunday lunch location which didn't involve a 45minute wait we stumbled across the uahi island grill. What luck! The loco moco was undoubtedly the best I've had nice big beef patties, Japanese curry instead of gravy and eggs to perfection. The kids had waffles and I was happy to finish off what they couldn't eat. Other meals being served to other patrons looked great so I'll be back to try them out! Nice friendly service.

• Visited July 2013

Been to Uahi Island Grill? Share your experiences!