“Not your typical trail ride!”

Kahuku-Kai Horse Ranch
Ranked #12 of 15 things to do in Kahuku
Charlotte, North Carolina
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Not your typical trail ride!”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We were looking for more than just the typical nose-to-butt trail ride-- we got it! Perhaps not for the first time rider, these horses are used to running on the beach. Great horses, all very sweet-- even the "stubborn" Sunny (Sunfire) wasn't so stubborn. We rode thru the water, ran the horses on the beach, so much fun! And what beautiful scenary, well worth the money! If you want to wear a helmut, I suggest bringing your own, as we weren't offered one.

Keizer, Oregon
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Well worth the money!”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I had emailed Linda prior to our arrival and was able to make "last minute" reservations for 3 days later. My two daughters, 12 and 16, are both experienced riders and were definitely not interested in the nose to tail trail rides. As other commenters mentioned, Linda is a little terse, but not in a mean or uncivil way. My daughter stated it best - that she just wasn't a "people person." She matched the horses to the levels of all the riders and the horses that she had there were well trained, behaved and looked fit and healthy. There were some ponies in the corrals and a few other horses that were very friendly and beautiful. The black arabian that played Al Hattal on Hidalgo is also one of her horses. The girls came back from their 30 minute ride about 60 minutes later full of laughter, smiles and excitement. They were able to do full gallops on the beach, and play in the water. They said that the horses were like little kids just playing in the water ... jumping around. The ride was $75 for each rider and well worth every penny. At the end of the ride, if you bring a point and shoot camera, she will take pictures of you in a scenic spot on the beach.

1 Thank MandyWard
Murphysboro, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Horseback ride at kahuku kai”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

What a wonderful ride ! not like a trail ride, she lets you ride in the surf and gallop on the sandy beach! Linda was wonderful and so were her horses. Well cared for, it was the ride of my life. More than worth the money.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fantastic ride and Linda was lovely”
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Our ride was excellent. Linda was wonderful to communicate with throughout the experience, and very helpful. The horses were very responsive and well trained and Linda matched them up to rider perfectly. Galloping on the beach was an exhilirating experience and one that most places won't allow. Linda was very adept at managing everyone in the group. I highly recommend Kahuku Kai.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank erica l
Portsmouth, NH
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Best ride of my life!”
Reviewed February 24, 2012

What girl doesn't want to gallop down the beach on an Arabian?! This one sure does! This ride was amazing. We even saw two monk seals on the beach. I'm experienced and my partner had never ridden before, but Linda matched us up perfectly with our horses. I will never forget this memory. Thank you so much Linda!!!!