“Really delicious fresh shrimp”

Romy's Kahuku Prawns and Shrimp
Ranked #13 of 36 Restaurants in Kahuku
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed July 15, 2014

I was recommended from my friends that I should stop by this place when I am in North shore. This place have small shack and it in farm area. I had been told that they caught shrimps local, not from imported. I wasn't aware that this place is cash only so bring your cash! They have ATM but it was out of service when I was there. The waiting line wasn't bad but it does take time because they are cooking delicious shrimp! We ordered butter garlic and fried shrimp. Both of them are really good but I like butter garlic better!

Reviewed July 4, 2014

On our trip to Oahu last month, we went to Romy's for lunch. We were on a private tour of the island and our tour guide suggested that if we liked shrimp and fish and wanted to experience the best local place to have lunch we needed to go to Romy's......he certainly did not lead us astray!

He phoned in our order while we were on our way so that it was ready once we arrived. They do not have an extensive menu by any means---choices consisted of fresh fried fish, fried shrimp, boiled shrimp and grilled shrimp with garlic butter. Amongst our group, we ordered some of each. The fried shrimp were my favorite, they were fried in wonton wrappers---not healthy, but damn tasty! The meals had a fair amount of shrimp, and also came with white rice. Definitely enough to fill you up for a lunch. My husband had the fried fish, which was the whole fish (head and all!). He says it was the freshest, best tasting fish he had on the whole trip (including better than the fish he had at Mama's Fish House on Maui).

As this is a roadside local restaurant in a very small town on the North Shore of Oahu, there is only outside picnic table seating, but there is plenty of it available. We did not have a problem for our group of 9 to sit together. Also, you can stop at the small liquor store in town and buy yourselves a 6-pack of local Hawaiian beer to enjoy with your meal.

And for those non-seafood lovers, there is another roadside restaurant right across the street which serves sandwiches and pizza.

If you are willing to try the more local side of the island, Romy's is a good choice for your experience!

Reviewed July 2, 2014

My nephew brought us to this eatery along Kamehameha Highway in North Shore. There are several eating places of this kind in the area but Romy's is his favorite. We ordered the Butter and Garlic Sautéed Shrimps and it was really good, no need for additional sauce. The two scoops of rice was divine because of the butter-garlic drippings from the sautéed shrimps. The prawns and shrimps are harvested and cooked on the same day. I can't help but lick my fingers. No problem - wash area is available.

Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

Garlic prawns were delicious but you have to wait 40 minutes for them. Was a bit surprised that they are farmed when the restaurant is 400 m from the ocean!

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Another great Oahu Revealed recommendation. This was our favorite shrimp truck. On our first visit we had about a 25 minute wait once we ordered but the second visit was quicker. Both times the garlic butter shrimp was soooo good! The shrimp were fresh, large and so tender. The garlic sauce on the rice was very good. Even the rain coming through the break in the roof didn’t stop us from enjoying the meal! We will be back!