“#1 lunch stop in Haleiwa!”
Review of Grass Skirt Grill - CLOSED

Grass Skirt Grill
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
“#1 lunch stop in Haleiwa!”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We are repeat visitors of the Grass Skirt Grill, usually multiple times! It has become a guilty pleasure, recently because of a recommendation of the Teriyaki Cheese Fries, not sure how we missed those our first time there, but wow! They have excellent food, fun little environment with some history. Cash only, be prepared for that if you are a "plastic user" like we were the first time.

• Visited June 2012

• Korean first
Tenafly, NJ
“Food good, but owner nasty”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I recently stopped by based on good tripadvisor reviews. I placed my order, then realized I was getting many orders of french fries to my table. My bill *was* a little high and all the while I was trying to figure out why, so I thought to ask if there was a mistake. Boy, did I get an earful. When I told the guy who took my order (who was in fact the owner) that I only ordered one order of fries and I would like a refund, I felt like I was in Mexico. Meaning that once they got your money they ain't gonna give it back. The owner and his wife were arguing that I ordered 3 fries. He was quoting me wrong and he said it was my tough luck and threw up his arms in disgust. Of course his wife backed him up. My kids backed me up. I know it was his wife because when I ordered, I overheard him say how he and his wife (pointing to the woman) were both from Philadelphia. Their food may be good but I wouldn't patronize an establishment that treats customers this way. The owners were just plain rude. I mean, if he just refunded me for one of the orders of fries I would have been happy! It's the principal of the thing. I told him I'd write him up on tripadvisor.

• Visited August 2012
3 Thank luvmilo
Silicon Valley
“Worth a special trip !”
Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

We came to Haleiwa for Matsumoto's shave ice and stayed for dinner. We saw the Grass Skirt Grill as we were leaving town. We were amazed at the quality of the food. We had the Teri chicken , shrimp scampi and coconut shrimp. All 3 dinners were outstanding.

One note: they only accept cash. They also close at 6:00.

upstate NY
“Yes, this is as special and great as everyone says!”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Seemingly just a tiny over memorabilia decorated room, the servings are generous, the delivery quick, the prices very reasonable, and above all the food delicious. We both had the teriyaki chicken with brown rice and aside salad after hiking the 7miles out and back to the point. YUM

Visited August 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Teriyaki chicken with the spirit of Aloha without sticker shock.”
Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

Food can be expensive but finding local places like the Grass Skirt Grill is so rewarding. The teriyaki chicken is worth the drive to the north shore or be adventurous and take the bus.
After the best chicken in oahu drive down the highway to the matsumoto store for shave ice which is about a minute away.
The meal and shaved ice costs about $15 per person. Oahu means the "gathering place" and gather on the north shore for an afternoon of great food.