“Best, best, best burgers”
Review of Kua Aina Sandwich

Kua Aina Sandwich
Ranked #6 of 87 Restaurants in Haleiwa
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Lebanon, New Jersey
“Best, best, best burgers”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

This place rocks! Stumbled on this place accidentally as the restaurant we wanted to go to had too long of a wait. What a nice surprise. I had an avocado burger and there was an entire avocado on the sandwich. Also had great home made fries. Only negative was they were a cash only establishment.

• Visited August 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Scottsdale, AZ
“Good Food, Fast Friendly Service”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Everyone in my family loved this place. Fresh ono and mahi, great burgers, fries are addicting and the staff friendly, patient and helpful. Best on the beach as far as we are concerned. Same goes for the Honolulu location.

• Visited August 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Mother of All Burgers!”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

There is just so much one can say about a patty of cooked mince meat but there are burgers and then, there are Burgers. There is Burger King and there is MacDonald's. There is Wendy's and there was Wimpys. Since the Hard Rock and the Great American Disaster there have been dozens of Burger Bars that have sprouted all over the world.The Gourmet Burger, Byrons etc etc.
So what makes for a memorable burger? The cut, mix, fat, quality of meat? the seasoning? Maybe the cooking? Broiled, grilled, fried, barbecued? Yes, you will be right in thinking, who knows? Some of those factors, a little of each, or all these ingredients.
In my opinion and experience, and I do enjoy a good burger, it is a question of all these ingredients and then, there is luck. The consistency, quality and taste does vary from burger to burger, place to place and from time to time . I have had a great burger in an establishment only returning to be disappointed. Just cooking a few seconds over and the wrong heat will change the nature of your burger, not accounting for personal taste: rare, medium, well done, juicy, charred, thick, thin. Two people eating identical burgers may find one person being totally enthusiastic about it, and for the other, just a so so..
So I was lucky to come upon Kua Aina, a modest, simple, self service cafe in this North Shore village in Haleiwa in Hawaii. Pointless for descriptions but suffice to say it was probably the best burger I have had. I discovered there was another branch in Waikiki where we were staying. A major criteria for me to what is good food is when I yearn for that taste again, so three days later, off we went in pursuit of Kua Aina in Waikiki and found it in a shopping centre, very similar in seating capacity, atmosphere and appearance as their Northern branch. There were several of us and a big order ensued which duly appeared. A major factor for good food is how fresh it is and the time it takes to get from the grill to my chops. Amongst other items, there was a bank of four Cheeseburgers in our order, all in baskets, cooked medium,Some in our party praised the side order of fries, I was not overwhelmed.. My wife picked one of the Cheeseburgers and I took another. I enjoyed mine as I did up North. My wife, who like me had the same 1/2 pounder proclaimed that hers here was dry and not as yummy as the one she had in Haleiwa.
Told you there is an element of luck in having even where I thought served the Mother of All Burgers!

Honolulu
“BIG portions, friendly service, delicious burgers”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I had the kids' cheeseburger with cheddar, my sisters split a cold pastrami sandwich, my dad had the avocado burger and we all split a lemonade, a couple cups of cole slaw and an order of Kua Aina's famous shoestring fries. The cheeseburger was tasty, perfectly cooked and piled with produce and the cheese was nicely melted, and even though it was a "kiddie burger" it filled this 17 year old up fine! The kids loved the pastrami sandwich because it was packed full of meat, but as I'd anticipated it wasn't enough for them. Luckily they had the fries (also good, but could use a bit more flavor) and the huge carrot sticks that come with each order. As for my dad's food--they literally packed a whole small avocado onto his burger; he'd been expecting a few thin slices and he was blown away! Usually he hogs everyone's avocado but this time he actually offered some of his avocado to all of us. His cole slaw was average at best but he ate it anyway and said everything was great. However, our 7 year old wouldn't drink the lemonade saying it was bitter. As for the service, the girl at the counter was friendly and didn't mind at all when my dad went up to get our food 3 times thinking she was calling his name or when the kids stood in line just to buy a pickle. We went at 1:45, a little after the lunchtime rush, but we only had to wait about 10 minutes for our food and we quickly found a table inside. Also, we appreciated the roll of paper towels on each table because the food can get pretty messy. Prices are on the expensive side but worth it for the quality and amount of food they give you. We will be back.

Palo Alto, California
“Bodacious Burgers”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Can't think of much else to eat after a long day at the beach than either a 1/3 "small" or 1/2 pound hamburger. They also offer fish burgers (mahi mahi or ono) or salads.
Guaranteed to have you sleep well!