“Definitely a destination to try”

Ranked #9 of 89 Restaurants in Haleiwa
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: The Original Shrimp Truck Since 1993
Fairfax, Virginia
“Definitely a destination to try”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

We stopped after an afternoon of off-roading at Kaena Point. The truck is similar to the one in Kahuku - covered with signatures and in a dusty pull-off along the highway. The food was amazing and, even though we pulled in 15 minutes before close, they got us 7 regulars, 2 spicy and 2 garlic hotdogs out before closing. The shrimp were huge and amazing - though they can get a little messy, so take some extra napkins. My partner got the spicy and said they were super hot, but he loved them - kept asking if we could go back, even if it was an hour plus drive from our hotel. They only have outside seating (I mean it's a shrimp truck...) and no bathroom (but we snuck off to McD's across the street to get drinks and use theirs.) Really an amazing place that shouldn't be missed (and sign the truck if you can!!!)

• Visited April 2014
gioshrimp, Guest Relations Manager at Giovanni's Shrimp Truck, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Nothing better after hiking then some garlic shrimp… Happy you enjoyed the experience at the shrimp truck and hope to see you again in the future..
Giovanni’s Shrimp Truck

• Korean first
Mather, Pennsylvania
“shimp, shrimp and more shrimp!”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Best shrimp from a food truck I have ever ate! World famous Giovanni's shrimp truck is a must if you are in the area! The shrimp arrived steaming hot and fresh! I ordered the steamed shrimp with butter and lemon which also came with rice. There are several other food trucks near i.e. tacos and shaved ice just to name a few. If you want, you can even write your name on the truck, that is if you can find space!

• Visited February 2014
gioshrimp, Guest Relations Manager at Giovanni's Shrimp Truck, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
WOW... That makes us feel really good about being the best ever... We are happy you enjoyed the experience and hope to see you again in the future... Take care..

Kansas City, Missouri
“A "must do" on a trip to the North Shore”
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

They have locations on each side heading to the North Shore, so no matter what direction you come- you should be able to find them! I had been to Oahu once before and didn't know anything about the shrimp trucks. Well now that I do, my trip to the North Shore will not be complete until stopping here. We had the garlic shrimp- which were great. One of my friends tried the spicy shrimp. She was showing us how you suck all the juices off before peeling, well she stopped doing that after about three! Her lips were on fire. They were good also- I just may suggest trying the sauce first or just getting a half order. The garlic rice was one of the greatest things I have ever eaten. It's probably not that difficult to make- perhaps just sautéed garlic on top of rice- but it's amazing! I can't wait to go back!

Thank you for the recommendation and happy you found us this time while on the island... The shrimp truck has been improving the facility over the years and will continue to do so in the future... Thank you for the great review and hope to see you again in the future..

Dallas, TX
“Good shrimp scampi, don't have to peel!”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Okay food truck...gross...the outside...gross. I was trying not to be grossed out as I ordered my food (it was the end of the day). I got the food and it was cooked perfectly and was yummy.

I then noticed they started to "clean" the truck for the night and was thoroughly impressed. There were 4 girls scrubbing the walls, the doors, putting foil over everything. So I was less grossed out after seeing that.

I give it 4 stars. Would I go out of my way to eat here? No, plenty of places to get a similar experience but still very good.

• Visited March 2014
Thank you for giving us a chance and happy you enjoyed the experience... It also makes me happy that the staff was doing a good job cleaning which is very important to ownership... Enjoy the island...

Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany
“Finger Lickin' Good”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Our local Hawaiian friends took us to this wildly popular food truck. Passed a few other shrimp places and Giovanni's was by far the most busy. Limited choices and every meal seemed to be made, once ordered. The Shrimp Scampi was really, really good. I am a fan of spicy food and was tempted to go with the spicy shrimp but instead asked for a side of spicy sauce with the Shrimp Scampi. Good move, since the spicy sauce was really spicy and not the type of heat that I enjoy.

PS:
Remember - cash only and when busy, the wait for food can be a bit long but definitely worth the wait. Also, when busy, best to split up, so one can finding seating and the other can order.

• Visited March 2014
Make sure to thank your friend from us... Thank you for giving us a chance and we are happy you enjoyed the shrimp... Getting the hot sauce on the side was a smart idea for it can be to much for most people... Enjoy the island and hope to see you again in the future...