“Safe yet expensive....”

Pacific Skydiving Center
Ranked #17 of 57 Tours in Haleiwa
More attraction details
Owner description: Located on the extreme West North Shore of Oahu, Pacific Skydiving Center is the most scenic Hawaii skydiving dropzone, conveniently located one hour from Waikiki.Join our experienced staff for an adventure you won't forget over the spectacular North Shore of Oahu! We welcome you every day from 7:30 am to 2:30 pm (later on weekends) weather permitting.
Useful Information: Stroller parking
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

I arrived early, didn't even get to watch the safety video because they started without me and I arrived at the end of it. So far, not a big complaint, they did say that the instructors would tell me more.

Once I learned that you are not allowed to bring your own cameras including GoPros strapped to you, I felt somewhat forced into buying their DVD and photos. I wanted to remember the time so I figured what the hell, I didn't fly all the way to Hawaii to not bring back souvenirs. This is where my disappointment begins. The camera man seemed hardly interested in video taping anything while I watched all the other couples get a fun and energetic cameraman. My instructor treated me as if I was going to kill us and definitely didn't give me the feeling of a good time. He was late to the plane so we were the last in and first out.

Once we got up there it was pretty amazing! The views, the adrenaline, all of it was unforgettable! The camera guy flies up next to us and he did his thing. Are parachute deploys and we coast down. My instructor had to do those spinning things which almost made me sick. He said there were a lot of other parachutes below us that we had to get away from to avoid something bad happening.

Once we land my cameraman is no wear to be found. My instructor did not land where he was supposed to and the cameraman didn't even try to run to us to get video. Whatever, it was a blast right.

Well I sit and wait for the video to display and I watch mine when it finaly comes on. The video was terrible. A bunch of stock shots that every other video had and he missed my landing. So I sucked it up and purchased the video and photos which amounted to an extra $190. I'm a photographer/filmmaker and that crap I paid $190 for is pathetic. Just about all the photos are out of focus and the video has some crappy copyrighted music overlayed on it. How they get away with selling copyrighted music gets me.

After this the instructor basically asks me to tip him and the camera man. I gave the instructor a $10 tip just for keeping me safe but refused to tip the cameraman. It's one thing to be safe but to be overally cautionus and make the customer feel nervous that they may do something wrong is not good. If it were any other person, they might have not been as daring and freaked out from what he was saying.

Conclusion:

It was a blast, the most unforgettable experience I think I will ever have. I survived and even though the video and photos are terrible, I am happy to have something to remember it by. They need to have another option that maybe lets you just choose one photo or lower their prices. I know, a cookie cutter video like that is easy to make and doesn't really cost them that much, its pretty much a scam because they know you'll have to buy it. Other than that, it was amazing and I suggest everyone does it at least once. Once I left the plane, my fears disappeared, you just have to get yourself to that point. Once you do, all it feels like is a ton of wind blowing at your face. Oh, and watch the parachute pull, it hurts where you're strapped in.

4  Thank Michael S

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Arrived early, before 8 AM without a reservation and was sequenced in almost immediately; almost too fast. I was loading up for the first lift before I was mentally ready. The views of the North Shore were spectacular. The plane climbed at a good rate, about 1000 - 1500 feet per minute to 14,000 ft. and he place the plane immediately into position for jumping. We shuttled to the door and jumped almost immediately. I thought I would be scared to jump and I took a couple of deep breaths before reaching the door and "relaxed" at the door. Brandon 'escorted' me out the door and we free fell for about a minute before the shoot opened. AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING PS GREAT FOOD at the food truck next door!

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Since this is a long review let me provide a summary to begin with:

- Whilst the skydiving looks cheap keep in mind photos/DVD will set you back between $115-150
- if you weigh more than 200 pounds know that you will be charged extra (I am 213 pounds and had to pay an extra $20)
- Budget a $20 tip in also
- if you want photos only ask for the GoPro option (they won't offer it but it's available) it's cheaper at $68
- Be prepared for a huge wait before or after your jump as they only run a shuttle at 12pm and 1pm for the morning jumpers
- Bring a book there is no wifi or cell coverage

Ok onto the review:

Let me start off by saying the skydiving was sensational. The views and experience were great but that's where the good points end...

I was picked up at 6:45am by the shuttle and was taken to the airport/skydive centre. After the jump I was advised that the shuttle would leave around midday to return everyone to their hotels in Waikiki.

I opted to just do the ultimate skydive by itself ($169) and not purchase any photos and DVD's as they were charging $115 for photos and $150 for photos and DVD (for these options a camera man jumps with you).

Just before my jump I was asked to go I to a room where a third option of having a GoPro take pictures was offered for $68. I have no idea why this is not offered at the beginning as an option except that they are taking advantage of people who will pay the large amount for the first two options.

The jump itself was amazing and I had my photos burnt onto a disk and in my hands within 15 minutes.

At around 11:45 they called for shuttle however it was immediately filled with others that had jumped after me...I spoke to the office people and they told me since it was a free shuttle service I would just have to wait until the next one but they didn't know when that would be...

At this point I had been waiting 3 hours after my jump with absolutely nothing to do (no cell coverage and no wifi) and now if I'm lucky I will leave 4 hours after my jump turning a 30 minute skydive into a 6 hour ordeal.

Personally I would look for a better run organisation to skydive with!

3  Thank Rjbyrne85
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Three of us went tandem skydiving with this company and had the experience of a lifetime. Check in was quick and efficient and we had no trouble with delays. We did take the combo video and picture package - it was expensive but was high quality. The only suggestion would make would be for the instructors to spend a little more time with you telling you what to expect. It's basically just give you a quick rundown and up you go. Of course, you are strapped to them and they do all the work so not too much to tell. Go as early in the morning as you can so that they don't get backed up on you if weather delays and you have to wait. All and all, a very good experience

1  Thank chattykatty
Reviewed August 12, 2013

The 100% safety rating is what made me choose Pacific Skydiving rather than Skydive Hawaii next door. We were staying at a house across the road, and were watching plane after plane go up with skydivers. If they have that much business, they must be doing something right!

Pre-jump: Everyone we spoke with was very friendly. Given that so many of the reviews on here mentioned very rude staff, I had prepared myself to deal with that. I was pleasantly surprised to find that this wasn't the case. With that said, there was one girl (heavier Latina gal) that I didn't talk with directly but I did hear her interact with others. In the conversations I heard, she was fairly snippy. Honestly though, I would be too if people were ignoring the signs posted everywhere and constantly asking when it was their turn. They are very clear that your reservation time is not your jump time. It takes about 30 minutes to do the paperwork alone. There are many factors that go into your jump time like the weather which they can't estimate. Paperwork is put into 'line' in the order it comes in, then, they fill in gaps from there. They stated that you may see someone go before you because they were used to fill a spot as they don't send planes up with open seats. I found that they were very upfront that you could wait several hours. Have patience (and make sure you go pee! Once you're in the harness, you can't anymore). If you don't want a long wait, try to go early on a weekday. We arrived at 9am on Thursday and our chutes landed at about 11.

Jump: Wow! I chose the 14,000 foot jump and am glad that I did. When we were filling out our paperwork, one of the staff members pointed out something that persuaded my sister to go for the higher jump too. Whether you choose the 8,000 or 14,000 foot jump, you still have to get over your fear of jumping out of a plane. If you choose the higher jump, you have more time to enjoy the freefall after you get over your fear. When we jumped, I screamed for about the first five seconds, and quickly got over it. You don't really feel like you're falling- it's more along the lines of standing in front of a huge fan since you're falling at about 120 mph. I highly recommend the higher jump... you won't regret it!

Video: Definitely worth the extra money! I've only been home from vacation for a few days and have already shown the video to multiple people. It's a great way to prove you did it, and relive the experience. Note: They don't automatically send a camera man. You have to agree to purchase either photo or video first.

Overall: Great first time experience! If I'm ever on Oahu again, I'll be sure to stop by Pacific Skydiving for another jump.

Tips: Don't wear shorts! One of the girls on my plane did and we saw her video. The entire time, her thighs were 'flapping' in the wind. Not a video that I'd want to show to anyone :(

2  Thank doggiemomma