“not as good as what i expected”

Pacific Skydiving Center
Ranked #18 of 57 Tours in Haleiwa
More attraction details
Owner description: Located on the extreme West North Shore of Oahu, Pacific Skydiving Center is the most scenic Hawaii skydiving dropzone, conveniently located one hour from Waikiki.Join our experienced staff for an adventure you won't forget over the spectacular North Shore of Oahu! We welcome you every day from 7:30 am to 2:30 pm (later on weekends) weather permitting.
Useful Information: Stroller parking
Reviewed January 4, 2013

as mentioned by others, u wait for 3-4 hours, and enjoy only 1 minute of the fun
that is actually fine for me... however...
my instructor, Kim, mentioned only the very minumum of what I needed to know about the jump
leading to my photographer, Cado, although a nice guy, taking a pretty poor video
i would suggest that u try to find another combination if u are still going with this company

1  Thank Lunar916
Guy B, Manager at Pacific Skydiving Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Hi there. It is amazing to see another human being flying around you at 120mph across the sky while taking photos and videos. Our skilled cameramen do their best to provide the highest quality videos and photos, but sometimes they don't come out as expected. Cameras, camera helmets, mouth switches, etc sometimes fail due to the extreme conditions of the freefall. I wish you had talked to a manager about the quality of the video, we may have been able to do something.
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, feel free to contact us if you want to discuss your video!

There are newer reviews for Pacific Skydiving Center

Reviewed January 1, 2013

I thought the whole experience was amazing! After reading some of the customer reviews about service I was a little apprehensive. I found the service to be very professional and friendly. The communication was excellent! Holly was very helpful and became our point of contact through a few days of weather delays. Very professional organization and staff. Oh yea, the skydiving is awesome!!

Reviewed December 28, 2012

You will wait so long, that you forget about the terrifying waiver and just want to get it over with. Diving with this company is like going to Disneyworld in the summer, a three hour wait for a 5 minute ride. I COMPLETELY agree with everything the previous reviewer stated: long wait, order is NOT first come first served, much of the staff is jaded and avoid the free pick up. The only bright spot was Chris and Breen. I would dive with them any day, not the company. If you decide to dive with them anyway I offer these suggestions:

For the best possible experience with this company, I recommend the following:
1. Drive yourself
2. Skydive with two or more people
3. Pack snacks, meals and activities
4. Do not scheduled any other tours or activities before 3 pm that day

The two or more people and activity pack is to avoid wasting an entire day on a remote airfield. That way you are not as focused on the jaded nature of the staff or the front desk crew holding jumpers hostage while they move you to the front of the line to jump.

If you gamble with the free pick-up, I recommend:
Option 1. Plan to spend the day on the North shore
If you dive before 2 pm, ask for a ride to Haleiwa 5 minutes away. You can catch bus
52 for $2.50 back to town after exploring the town and/or hanging out at the beach
Option 2. Have an exit plan
Sit next to the parking lot and notice who arrives with an empty seat. Ask that person
if you can catch a ride either to Haleiwa to catch the bus or if they are headed to
Waikiki
Option 3. Prepare for an aggravating day
There is no aloha spirit here. Shake off that warm feeling and prepare to be treated
as a tourist with a credit card. If you take that shuttle, they will hold you hostage while
allowing drive up customers to go first. Some off the tandem jumpers are disgruntled
and will be a downer to jump with. Ask for Chris and Breen. They are awesome.

Guy B, Manager at Pacific Skydiving Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Thanks for the great tips. We do try to be upfront with the wait on our website and in our emails. Two to three-hour wait is typical and we tell people to expect to stay half a day. Having your own transportation definitely helps.
The order in which people get on the plane could seem arbitrary, but we do account for a number of parameters from weight & balance to group sizes (try to keep families and friends together). For example, we give priority to groups who tried to jump the day before and couldn't because of the weather. Rest assured that we do our best to be fair and transparent when organizing the flights.
Jumping out of airplanes isn't like a ride at the theme park. We safely do between 15,000 and 20,000 jumps a year and sometimes we do get busy. We are passionate about what we do and care about every single jumper. I hope you'll come back and give us another chance.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

Like many people here, I'd been wanting to do this for years and finally got up the nerve to do it. There's another place down the road but their registration form on the Internet kind of scared us off because it has big red warnings about how dangerous it is.

We decided to go with Pacific and booked online. For some reason, they tell you to call the day before and then one hour before your pickup if you are taking the shuttle.

Immediately upon entering the shuttle, I was given a waiver to read and sign. It basically absolves them of any responsibility if you die for any reason, including their negligence.

If you really want to do this, you may not want to read too much of the waiver!

I arrived at 730 but didn't get to jump until 10:30 am or so - and I was in the first van group to arrive. I wish I'd known when my jump would be as I would have had something extra to eat beforehand. No one really kept me informed as to why there was the delay and when I asked I was told "just listen for your name to be called". Meanwhile, everyone I'd arrived with had already jumped and been back before I left for mine.

The jump master was nice, if not a little jaded by the whole thing, but after 17,000 jumps, perhaps I would be too. I found it interesting that he only perked up when the cameraman was around. My photographer was great and salvaged the experience as he was still excited about jumping and me enjoying it.

Then we had to wait until 12:30 for the return shuttle to Waikiki. On which, by the way, the driver Guy kept answering his cell phone and talking on it while driving a shuttle full of people with no seat belts in it. Get a Bluetooth earpiece or stop answering the phone... you're going to get into an accident.

I know they have a busy little cash cow going there but a little more personal attention would go a long way to make the experience better and not let you feel like you're just a number that they want to move in and out - and take your cash at the end. They might also want to say "thank you" when you hand over your $325 at the end, (jump, video and photos). I don't know how cashiers can just turn around and walk away with your credit card slip without even acknowledging that you've just paid them several hundred dollars.

Perhaps that was what bothered me about the whole experience. Some staff were walking around with Pacific Skydiving t-shirts on, but many weren't so it was hard to know who's working there and who isn't. There were guys packing chutes but none of them were wearing anything to identify themselves as employees. I guess they don't have to care about appearances as you've already signed your life away by this point. Though its obvious that some of them have a jovial time at work, there seems to be a general lack of professionalism - one staff member yelling about someone else not showing up for work and others who don't seem to realize that customers are their bread and butter.

If you are thinking about taking the shuttle from Waikiki, I'd give serious consideration to renting a car as it really makes for a long day otherwise. There are vending machines there but make sure you take something to eat as it could be a while before you jump.

If I was going to do this again, I think I'd give the other place a try first before I returned here.

I would also really suggest again that Guy (who apparently is the manager?) stop talking on his cellphone while driving.

2  Thank deruo
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Without question one of those things everybody should do at least once In their lifetime. I did the jump from 14,000 feet on a clear sunny day with a very friendly AND experienced professional and free fell for over a minute though it seemed much longer :) ... Views were fantastic! Friendly staff, and the wait while a little long...hour or so...was okay as gave an opportunity to see others coming down...safely!