“Matsumoto's was great! Not dissapointed!!!”

Matsumoto Shave Ice
Ranked #1 of 10 Dessert in Haleiwa
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Drinks, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Matsumoto's was great! Not dissapointed!!!”
Reviewed January 10, 2010

On a recent trip through Haleiwa, we saw the stand so we had to stop to see what the hype was about. It seemed unusual, but there was hardly a line. Gave the order to a guy standing behind a glass front case before the cash register. It was kinda odd but it works for them.

The flavors were great. The texture seem to be creamy. It was not your normal snow cone. Everything was great. So much so that we stopped again on our way back to to the hotel. They were only a few bucks which made it even better.

One note: We were in there on Christmas Day and they were still hard at it. We were looking around in the shop after our snack and a couple walked in wearing Mr and Mrs Claus outfits. A younger guy who I guess was the manager came out and waved away their money saying that "Mr and Mrs Claus don't pay here". It was a small guesture but it left a big impact on me and my perspective of things. Thanks and I wish you all the best.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
williamsburg va 23188
“Great shaved ice - junky place”
Reviewed January 1, 2010

The shaved ice is very good, my kids loved it. The place is old and ruin down and smells like garbage outside where you sit to eat.

funkytown usa
“Why is this place recommended at all?”
Reviewed December 17, 2009

I wasn't expecting the best shaved iced ever, but I certainly wasn't expecting one of the WORST i've ever had. Seriously, they just tasted nasty and chemically. I got strawberry, my wife got the Matsumoto flavor (rainbow), and they were both just awful. The actual shop is really cool, and they have a lot of realllly cool t-shirt designs, but for what? Advertising crappy sno-cones? Luckily the shaved ices are really cheap, we got 2 for $5, but you get what you paid for, we threw them away not a mile down the road. Blech.

Sydney, Australia
“Wish we could go everyday”
Reviewed December 13, 2009

Read a LOT about the shave ice's at Matsumoto's and my husband and I were finally able to go see what all the fuss is about. Easy to find and as long as your willing to wait in line to order and receive these yummy shave ice's, you should go. The flavours are just out of this world (i can still taste the coconut, pineapple and banana) and we wish there was a Matsumoto's here in Sydney so we could eat shave ice of this quality more often. The syrup is just delectable and Matsumoto's is an icon and a definate place to visit on your next trip up to the North Shore of Oahu. Don't wait any longer.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“best shave ice on the island!”
Reviewed November 23, 2009

best shave ice on the island!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook