“They say when you go to the North Shore Of Oahu Matsumoto Is A Must”

Matsumoto Shave Ice
Ranked #1 of 11 Dessert in Haleiwa
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed November 20, 2012

First time trying shaved ice though I'm an experienced snow-cone person. Shaved ice itself was interesting. You do get a lot of ice for your money. Tried coconut which seemed to have a bad after-taste. For some reason the coconut shaved ice was hot pink. Not the color I think of for that treat. Service was fast an efficient. Now I can say that I have tried shaved Ice and probably would not make any great effort to try it again. The lack of atmosphere inside actually gave the place a certain kind of atmosphere. The lines were not too long though I could bet in summer or on weekends that the line would grow.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,171)

Reviewed November 18, 2012

We mixed different types of tropical fruit flavors and end up with shave ices with rainbow colors. The taste is so refreshing and light, a real treat on a warm day

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Born and raised in O'ahu. I've grew up eating shave ice and Mats (as we like to call it) is hands down the best. It's super cheap and the flavors are unique. Even though there is a long line, it goes by really fast. We didn't stand in line for more than 7 mins. I really like the Tropical shave ice (guava, lilikoi, and papaya: picture included). TIP: always get the condense milk. I don't like extremely sweet stuff, but the condense milk just add the right amount of sweetness to the shaved ice. It's a must!

Reviewed November 15, 2012

So many flavors, and the condensed milk on top was delicious!
We had other shave ice this trip, but Matsumoto's was the best. The only drawback was the line.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I was told to make sure I visited Matsumoto Shave Ice.................YUMMY! I wish I could take these back home to Maryland. Better than a snowball.... anyday. I guess, I will just keep visiting Hawaii more and more. It's like what my Mother would make us when we were children with fresh fallen snow and canned milk and vanilla..............that's was so good when I was little. This taste just like it. It brings back good memories from my childhood. Thanks.......Matsumoto Shave Ice. See you again when I return to Hawaii. It is worth the trip.