“NOT MY THANG!”

Matsumoto Shave Ice
Ranked #1 of 10 Dessert in Haleiwa
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Drinks, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,045 helpful votes
“NOT MY THANG!”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Obviously being in Hawaii and visiting the North Shore, I wanted to go to Matsumoto! But Sorry Shave Ice lovers....I don't think I am a Shave Ice fan!!!! I just don't get the whole shave ice thing, it's ice grinded down and then drenched in 'flavoured' syrups which frankly don't taste of the flavours they are claiming to be! I think this is a personal thing, as the queues at this place were massive, people obviously love shave ice. The only positive I can say is that it cooled me down, but then again so would a nice cold bottle of water.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Saintlysinner

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Honolulu, Hawaii
“long lines move quickly”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

the lines are long, but the good ice technicians are fast! if they have an order taker working the line, the wait isn't unbearable. the only thing is that there is a stinky area outside in the back by the dumpster. no pleasant place to pack down the ice before getting in the car

Visited September 2012
Marietta, Oklahoma
“Get there early”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Stopped in here for a shaved ice early one morning while touring the north shore. We were told by the locals that this is "the place". Don't blink or you'll miss it. Matsumoto's is a small little place that blends in with it's surroundings. The shaved ice was awesome - probably the best I've ever eaten. Lots of flavor options and they offer ice cream in the middle of the ice - yum!!! I got a large but the small would have been plenty big. Buy a t-shirt - they are really unique and designed by local artists. I hear it gets REALLY busy later in the day. We stopped in around 0930-1000 and only a few other people were there.

• Visited October 2012
Antelope, California
“Shave ice rules!”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stopped here while in Haliewa. The line was long but worth the wait. I got just shave ice - tropical trio - but you can add ice cream, azucki beans, and condensed milk. On a hot day this treat was refreshing.

Visited October 2012
Springfield, Tennessee
“Kids love it!”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have to admit, I know nothing about shaved ice and there are probably as many options in Hawaii as there beaches. However, my son lives there and my granddaughters insisted this was the best and we all know grandkids know what they are talking about. The long lines are certainly a tale tale sign that they have something going for them. It is excellent. If you doubt me, check out the smiles on my granddaughters faces. So if you find yourself near Matsumoto's grocery, drop in, enjoy the variety and then you too can write a review.

• Visited September 2012