“A must visit!”

Dining options: Takeout
Edmonton, Canada
“A must visit!”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Best shaved Ice on the Island. A must place to visit on your beach day to the North shore. don't be intimidated by the line up it goes fast and is worth the wait.

Visited February 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Corona, New York
“Best Shave Ice!!!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My son and I have "sweet teeth" so this is a must go-place for us. We were here twice and tried the Hawaiian and Tropical in two separate occassions. There was quite a line when we arrived in both times and waited 30 minutes each time. It's worth the wait... even my impatient 3-year old tolerated waiting at the sweet promise of an iced treat.The iced are shaved finely and evenly. There are a wide variety of flavors so you can mix any flavors you like if you don't like pre-selected flavors like Hawaiian and Tropical. I tried it first with milk but I enjoyed the ice cream add-on better. The price is reasonable as compared to the Shave Ice I purchased from our timeshare resort. This is way better than their other competitior which is just a few steps away.

• Visited August 2012
Rancho Palos Verdes, California
“yuuummmmm!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

get there early as a line starts forming @ 11 am. but the service is great, they really churn out the shave ice quick! try it with the ice cream on the bottom, it adds a creaminess to the dessert.

Visited August 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“So many choices in flavors!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

During our week long vacation, I think we visited here 3 times... total of 4 different cones worth.

Shaved ice is served in a lot of places besides Hawaii, but you don't really think about it until you're here. It's served in a lot of different places, but Matsumoto's is probably the best advertised. Shaved ice is not water ice/Italian ice, nor is it a snow cone. It's more n soft like snow, whereas a snow cone is a chunk of ice. Weird, I know. I've made shaved ice as a kid, but our hand cranked machine is definitely up to par after watching it be made here.

Matsumoto's usually has a line, but it moves quite quickly (you can tell they've been doing this awhile). Depending on the line, they may have an employee closer to the door taking orders and marking it on the paper cones and/or bowls (depending on size). Just take the cone and bring up to the counter when it's your turn.

The flavors are listed on a giant board hanging above the counter. Amazing how many types they have there and if I'm not mistaken I believe they make the syrups there. Or so I think I heard from Food Network. You can mix and flavors you want, or choose a popular mix they have. Also option to have vanilla ice cream and/or azuki beans (red beans) in bottom of the cone AND condensed milk on top on the shaved ice. Don't forget to get the holder! $0.30 more, but at least you won't have dripping shaved ice everywhere.

First time we went, we were heading there specifically. Other 2 times was because we were in area and wanted a sweet dessert. First time we had a small Hawaiian (I forget the 3 flavors mixed) with ice cream, azuki beans, and condensed milk. So gooooood, but definitely too much.
Second time, we ordered two smalls, but left out the ice cream and beans as it made us too full from the sugar. I got orange/green apple mix with condensed milk while my wife got the rainbow mix.
Third trip was a mix on orange, green apple, lychee, and grape with condensed milk. The condensed milk really does make it. Makes it creamy and extra sweet.

Matsumoto's isn't the only place that offers shaved ice, so try a few places. A few places we went, we lucked out and they were on lunch break. We did try a place called Krave in Kapolei, but it's main thing is yogurt. Instead of ice cream, they offer mochi. They also put the beans in a hole they make in the top of shaved ice instead of in cone. Also delicious!

• Visited September 2012
Spokane Valley, Washington
“Fantastic treat!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Matsumoto Shave Ice was a fantastic and refreshing treat after a loooooong day at the beach. Highly recommended!

Visited October 2011