“Amazing food”
Review of Luibueno's

Luibueno's
Reserve with OpenTable
Luibueno's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 87 Restaurants in Haleiwa
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Amara Rd.
Transit: For Northbound travelers you will need to get off the bus at Kamehameha HWY + Opp Emerson RD (Stop ID # 2241). If you are traveling Southbound you will need to get off at Kamehameha HWY + Haleiwa RD. (Stop ID # 2240). For additional information on holidays or possible detours please refer to www.thebus.org
Columbus, Ohio
“Amazing food”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I was here recently with my boyfriend and decided to have a nice sit-down dinner as opposed to heading to a food truck. We LOVED this place. They serve you copious amounts of chips and spicy salsa which we totally binged on. We also ordered the guac and pretty much inhaled it. I ordered the seafood paella and it was amazing. Literally some of the best food I've ever had, anywhere, ever. They don't skimp on the seafood at all in this dish. My boyfriend had the catch of the day which was mahi maahi and he loved his meal as well. The waiter was very friendly and helpful and the service was great. We enjoyed this place so much and wish we had made a second trip back. If you're looking for great seafood on the north shore, don't think you won't get it here just because it's Mexican. Definitely the best we had! The only downside is that this place is a bit more expensive but it was absolutely worth it!

• Visited May 2013

• Korean first
“Mother's Day dinner”
Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

Very nice Mother's Day dinner. They were a little late with our reservation but more than made up for it with service and a few appetizers free. The fish tacos and burritos were very good. The churros and empanadas were great for dessert.

Visited May 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Easygoing experience”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Well run place, everything that we ordered came out in good time and friendly young staff helped with recommendations. I had seafood tacos which were tasty. Son had shrimp, which were beautiful, biggest I have seen on the island.

• Visited May 2013
Haleiwa, Hawaii
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Too Expensive”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

This is by far the best Mexican food on the North Shore. However, I recently had lunch with a friend. We split a bowl of soup, had a beer & guacamole. The food was good - but the bill was over $50 with gratuity. If they really want some local business, they would have lunch options for around $10. I probably won't be going back anytime soon...

Visited April 2013
York, Pennsylvania
“Great North Shore 'Grinds'”
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I spent 9 days on Oahu this April and had the serendipitous fortune in stumbling into the Mexican food gem, LuiBuenos in Haleiwa, HI. Staying in Waikiki, we liked this place so much that we visited it THREE times and even brought our local friend to share in our delight. Mind you, this is an hour plus drive from Honolulu if you want to tour the beautiful drive around the eastern side of the island (there is a faster route, but why bother? You're in Hawaii, what's the hurry?).

Bonus number one: there is good parking. Located at the corner of one of the more modern looking storefronts in the archtypical seaside surfer town of Haleiwa, LuiBuenos Mexican & Fish Market, pairs locally caught fish with fresh ingredients to make flavorful authentic Mexican fair. They have excellent beef, pork and chicken dishes as well. The fresh catch dish was Mahi (each time). It was perfectly seared with a crisp crust topped with a wonderfully seasoned parsley and roasted garlic butter sauce. It was matched with a ragout of squash, peppers and onions and a helping of Spanish rice. An excellent dish that we ordered twice.

The Opakapaka ala Vera Cruz balanced the buttery fish with the acidity of the tomatoes in the sauce, again paired with Spanish rice. I enjoyed every bite of it.
Another excellent dish that I would recommend was the Enchildas with the Ahi as the main protein. This was a very enjoyable dish with my choice of flour or corn tortillas (I prefer the flour). Also, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the guacamole. Very fresh with good sized avocado chunks.

Bonus number two: the North Shore Marketplace is walkable from here.
My wife and I like to travel and we visited Mexico last year and would rank the fresh catch "Pescado de la dia 'Ajilo'" among the best Mexican dishes we've had.

Any downside is that there is only one very small unisex rest room for the entire restaurant. We did not run into any problems because of it, but I can imagine when the restaurant and the bar are full, there is line.

We hope you take a chance on this restaurant. Granted you don't always think of Mexican cuisine when you think of Hawaii, but beaches and fresh salsa, margaritas, and fish tacos.....c'mon!

Visited April 2013

Been to Luibueno's? Share your experiences!