“Awesome Huli-Huli Chicken”

Cuisines: Hawaiian
Haleiwa, Hawaii
“Awesome Huli-Huli Chicken”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

GOOD CHICKEN. About $9.50 for 1 whole chicken. You can also buy rice, coleslaw and/or drinks. Its not a restaurant, more like a picnic. There are some tables under a big tent on a dirt lot next to Malama Market. Only open weekends and holidays. Lines can get long with tourists and locals.
The guys cooking the huli-huli chicken work hard and they're up to their elbows in charcoal and smoke. Staff is always friendly and they are working in the hot sun.

• Visited June 2013

New York City, New York
“Forget the restaurants in Haleiwa, go have kiawe chicken under a tent!”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Yes, I've dined all around the world. I am as comfortable dining under a tent, as I did here in Haleiwa, as I am dining at the Waldorf Astoria in New York, and I appreciate good food. I doesn't have to be fancy to be good. This is plain and simply put: tasty, finger-lickin' good chicken, cooked by the locals over Kiawe wood and rotisserie roasted to perfection! Served with pineapple cole slaw, it is definitely worth the trip up from Honolulu to Haleiwa. Visit the many intriguing gift shops in town, lounge by the sea and watch the surfers, and make sure you seek out RAY's because I tell you, I will look forward to my return trip to Oahu to return here and eat outdoors, under the unassuming tent, rubbing shoulders with the locals and tourists alike, and indulging in this chicken. I is ALMOST as good as Bebo's in Puerto Rico which I consider to be my all time favorite rotisserie chicken but this is definitely the best on Oahu!

• Visited May 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Delicious”
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

It's hard to find a BBQ chicken on Oahu, and being Australian it's part of our staple diet. This chicken is FANTASTIC, the pineapple coleslaw is the perfect side and so cheap. The queue of people lining up is still worth the wait, simple and very tasty. Don't miss it!!!!!!!!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Deborah J
Boulder
“If great food & good people are enough, this is your place”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

There's some good food on the North Shore, but let's face it: Most of it is over-priced or over-rated and, if you watch cable food channels, over-publicized. That's OK with me if the hype helps keep the crowds and congestion away from Oahu's sunnier and uncrowded Leeward beaches, especially Makaha. But Ray's is my favorite exception, and on weekends I'm willing to go bumper-to-bumper through Haleiwa to get it. It's chicken simply-but-perfectly cooked on a spit, delightfully seasoned and served in a most unpretentious setting (made even more humble because it is situated in an unpaved parking lot within a stone's throw of so many ridiculously touristy shops and restaurants). And it's not just the food; it's how easy it is to find something in common with fellow huli-huli worshippers -- sitting beside you at folding tables, drinking soda from cans and using the same plastic tableware -- who are obviously worried about impressing only their taste buds. For a couple bucks less than the going rate for a shrimp-truck plate Japanese millionaires, Waialua farmers, friendly families and savvy surfers have da hol' bird. By the end of my meal I'm usually already enjoying a pleasant chat with a couple of strangers. Here's a tip: Before getting your chicken, pineapple coleslaw, etc., at Ray's, head into the Malama market next door and pick up a little something you really like that will augment the meal -- watermelon, cucumber, potato salad, pie, whatever -- and get a little extra so you can go all aloha with the new friends you are probably about to make.

• Visited October 2012
“Staying on the North Shore? Grab your Saturday lunch here!”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

On our second visit to the North Shore, we knew Saturday would bring Ray's Chicken outside of the Malama market. I think he only comes in on Saturdays to this location, but it was a definite must for our return trip last week. Tasty huli hull chicken, 10.00 per bird, grilled on the rotisserie on these giant drums...it's the best deal for food on the North Shore outside of spam musubi at the 7-11. ;) Second time having it and our memories were confirmed -- it's worth returning for.

• Visited December 2012