“Could Not Ask For Better Tuition” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Island Style Surf School

Island Style Surf School
More attraction details
Owner description: At Island Style Surf School you will have a unique and relaxed surf experience that you can't find anywhere else. With safety first and detailed instruction, we make sure that you have the time of your life on the famous waves of the North Shore Oahu, Hawaii! With instruction from professional surfer, Sergio Lima, and his crew of local certified instructors, you can feel secure that you and your family are in good hands. Come and see why at Island Style you will have a lesson like no other! Surf the north shores legendary waves in Haleiwa, Sunset Beach, Pupukea, and Wailua! Aloha!
San Francisco, California, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Could Not Ask For Better Tuition”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

My wife and I are beginner surfers and we've had 3 different private sessions this year, the first two in California and the latest in Haleiwa with Sergio.

Sergio's tuition was considerably better than our other instructors. He was great at pointing out the mistakes we were making and got my wife and I catching (gentle) North Shore waves in no time.

Strongly recommend a small group lesson with Sergio.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Nick B

Seal Beach, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Second trip of year”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

We did a last minute trip for my 50th birthday and the first call i made when we got to our place was to Sergio for a lesson the next morning. Pua'ena point even had a little size that day for a novice but with with Sergio I always feel safe and feel he knows what i can handle and is always there if you get really tired and need a tow.. This was our second trip of the year so Sergio wasn't buying my I'm a beginner anymore and started to focus on what i really needed to do to ride the wave better improve my style and generally learn some surfing skills. I think i went 3 or 4 times with him during the week and his wife Carly paddled out every time which was a pleasant surprise and always a smiling face and someone to talk to between waves. I'm already starting to save for my next trip December 2013 and i plan on going for 10 days ans using island style surf school for every surf trip, might even try to talk Sergio into a few snorkel adventures...If you see this review I haven't forgot about my promise on the surf shoes just been really busy seen getting home. Aloha see you guys in 12 months. Jim and Danielle

1 Thank boatnam1
Chicago, Illinois
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Great Instructor, Great Fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

I am a novice surfer from Chicago, but have enjoyed trying to pick up this "Sport of Kings" while vacationing on Oahu. I have taken a few lessions with various schools near Waikiki, but decided to head to the North Shore for a private lesson with Sergio. I have to say, it was the best day I had. Sergio is Island cool, but willing to actually coach and critique you. The waves and the location on my day put Waikiki to shame. As a result, I learned more in my one session with Sergio than in three previous lessons in Waikiki. This is a boutique school run by Sergio and wife (Carly), but you will benefit from their expertise and love of the sport and the island. Highly recommended.

1 Thank chi-twn99
Hong Kong, China
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Highlight of my trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

Simply the highlight of my trip. Sergio helped making my surfing experience such a memorable one. North Shore, the perfect breaks, surfing sea turtles, and an amazing instructor. You cannot ask for a better teacher than Sergio. Oh, and he and his wife took us to have the best meal in Hawaii, Kahlua pig at Kono's. Can't miss.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Dionysus38
Seattle, Washington, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Easy Peasy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Sergio makes surfing easy, even for the beginner. My friend and I both got the hang of it pretty quickly and probably only fell 5 or so times during our two hour lesson. If I had more time, I would have rented a board from Sergio since his rental prices are pretty cheap, too. I always like to support small businesses, especially ones that are family owned, so Sergio and Carly, see you next year!

1 Thank trav3lingfamily8