“First time up”

Island Style Surf School
More attraction details
Owner description: At Island Style Surf School you will have a unique and relaxed surf experience that you can't find anywhere else. With safety first and detailed instruction, we make sure that you have the time of your life on the famous waves of the North Shore Oahu, Hawaii! With instruction from professional surfer, Sergio Lima, and his crew of local certified instructors, you can feel secure that you and your family are in good hands. Come and see why at Island Style you will have a lesson like no other! Surf the north shores legendary waves in Haleiwa, Sunset Beach, Pupukea, and Wailua! Aloha!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“First time up”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

We just had an amazing time with Serigo and his team. We took a trip to the north shore with 4 couples and the 4 guys went out the first day. After all of us getting up the first time we decided to send the girls the next day.

Serigo is very experienced and will mix in simple training in a proffessional approach yet will have fun with you at every step.

One of the best moments of the day is when Sergio caught a wave with us and mid wave jumped on my friends board, balanced it, and took my friend in to shore.

The day was the highlight of our trip.

1 Thank MichaelKelly02

Seattle, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“First time surfing experience and we loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

This was my first time surfing and Sergio and Carly were the best! Sergio started out with some basic instruction on the beach, then took our group of four out to the surf. We were all beginners and we ALL got up on our first try with Sergio's help. His wife Carly answers the phones and also offers some great telephoto pictures and/or video for a good price. I had such a great experience that I signed my 5 year old son up for a lesson. He loved it too and now we have a cool video to show his friends. During one of their rides, they even saw a seaturtle that joined them for the ride. Our group ended up renting some boards from them for a great price a couple days later to continue practicing. Also, I actually was able to catch a couple waves on my own on the first day! I highly recommend him. Thanks Sergio!

San Jose, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Considering another trip -- just for a surf lesson!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

We booked a surf lesson with Sergio during our honeymoon trip in Hawaii. It was awesome! Had we not been evacuated from the area because of a tsunami warning, we would've booked another lesson for the following day. In other words, a tsunami is the only thing that should stop you from taking a lesson from Island Style. Sergio was so confident that we would get up on our first or second wave that we believed him...and stood up on our first attempts. His wife, Carly, documented our glory from the shore with great photos. We weren't really planning to return to Oahu again soon, but are now considering doing a surf camp through Island Style. We highly recommend this outstanding experience!!!

1 Thank Just2CasualTravelers
Portland, Oregon, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wonderful Surfcamp”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

I spent almost one week having surf sessions, hikes and knowing the North Shore with Sergio and Carly! It was perfect!

Sergio helped me a lot with very good advices and tips to improve my surf, he is a great surfer and excelent teacher!owww He's also a very good chef!

Carly is so funny, she helped me in such a good way that I felt like I was in own city and home!
She was always taking pictures and made a awesome movie of the trip!

My favorite programs were Waimea Valley (waterfall!) and Laniakea Beach (best waves)!

We got along since the first moment so everything happened very well!That's why I'm saving money already to return to Hawaii and visit my new family that lives over there!

Mahalo Carly and Sergio!
You guys are awesome people , I wish a huge success!

1 Thank Allan M
London, England, United Kingdom
“Best surf instructor you can get!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

I was on the North Shore for four days, and had two lessons from island style surf school. From my first call to the school to the end of my lessons the service was top notch. The instructor (Sergio) was by far more knowledgeable than any others I've had or talked to on Oahu, but he is also one of the nicest and most genuine people I've ever met.
His ability to get you right on a wave (and the right waves) with very simple and easy instruction and little effort amazed me. I was shocked at his strength as well, I had a bruised rib and became fatigued quickly due to pain. Instead of having to go in right away, he somehow effortlessly was able to pull me as he paddled and grabbed my board with three of his toes simultaneously.
In short, this surf school is not only the nicest and blatantly knowledgeable school I know of on the North Shore, it is also the one that I would recommend any age person to go with, whether you're at the age of 70, 50, 25, 15 or 7(they said they do tandem for kids), they will get you up on a board and show you the beauty of surf.