“A Rush”

Blue Rush Surf School
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Reviewed May 8, 2014

My wife and I met up with Matt and Brock on North Shore for some surfing instruction. The pair were outstanding in their laid back approach and style of teaching. Their energy was limitless and they made every effort to help and point us in the best way to learn this amazing sport. We are from Texas and our waves in the gulf are nothing compared to the lacquered blue waters of North Shore. Thanks you guys!

Reviewed April 27, 2014

We were lucky enough to run into Matthew and his dog Rabbit one morning at Sharks Cove and discovered he taught surfing in Haleiwa. Later that day I took a lesson with him and had a blast. The following day my 8 year old daughter took a tandem surf lesion with Matthew who prepared wetsuit and life jacket for her in advance. She ended up getting several long rides standing by herself with Matthew close at hand. She was so excited about the whole experience and now wants to be a surfer girl. Matthew is easy going and very accommodating. Highly recommended. Thanks Matthew!

Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

I took my two daughters (9 &14) and my brother in law (15) and the four of us had a blast. We have lived in Oahe for 5 months and this is by far the coolest experience. The girls want to go back just to hang out with them. The area is beautiful, sea turtles all around, I caught a wave and a turtle was right beneath me, talk about epic! They were so much fun but very concerned about our safety as well. Make the time to see these guys, it will be worth it!!

Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

We found Blue Rush Surf School through an Amazon local deal ($29 for a 1 hr private lesson) and boy are we glad we did. I initially got a voucher as a gift for my hubby who loves the sea but had never learnt to surf. Later I figured I really should try surfing too - afterall this is Hawaii the birthplace of surfing right? When I asked Matt about making another appointment for myself he suggested going direct to him and he would match the Amazon/LivingSocial deal no problem. We were set!
We met up outside Jameson's Restaurant in Haleiwa, and followed Matt to a sheltered beach where we could see other beginners surfing.
Hubby got a five minute lesson on the beach and he was off! He paddled right out there past the beginner waves and disappeared out of sight behind some other waves with Matt following, and I never saw him for the rest of his lesson! Matt later told me that he hadn't planned on taking hubby out there but saw that he was comfy in the water and rolled with it. Apparently every once in a while someone comes along who is a natural and that day that person happened to be my hubby haha.
My turn came up and I lasted half an hour in the water (hubby and I were both feeling under the weather). Matt towed me out to the beginner waves with his big toe on the front of my surf board! He has a very muscular big toe. I had mentioned to him that I was scared of big waves, and I could see that he made every effort to protect me from any wave action. It did look a little intimidating from the beach but once out there it wasn't scary at all. I managed to get up and balance for brief moments (a huge achievement for a person who has very poor balance) and even rode a wave in! So stoked.
I can assure you Matt will do a great job getting you out there surfing whatever your ability and water confidence level. He 'babied' me as needed, and let my hubby maximize his surf time and go it himself as far as possible.
After our lesson, he let hubby borrow a board and hubs went back out there and caught a few waves all by himself!
What a wonderful first experience. We loved Matt's laid back style and instruction. We will be back for more!

Reviewed March 18, 2014

We were just in Oahu, and had our 3 kids ages 16,14,10 take surfing lessons - I was worried about the windy day, but Matt is very patient, and knows how to teach to get them up and surfing. It was one of the highlights of the trip.... definitely worth it!