“Yes, I can surf...thanks to Matt!”

Blue Rush Surf School
Colorado
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Yes, I can surf...thanks to Matt!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

We took two lessons from Matt at Blue Rush. We were up and surfing the first try for both of us! It was so much fun we went again. Matt is laid back fun teacher. Our first day it was rainy and chilly and Matt troopered through with us, we bugged him until he took us out. We were so excited to learn we did not want to wait. We got a beach lesson and then out in the water...I was nervous and excited. I always felt safe with Matt, he could see my nervousness and was very encouraging and said with a big push on the wave "now be the boss and surf!" It was great. My husband and I both did great and graduated to a 10Ft. broad on our next go around...not as easy but more of a super fun challenge. In an hour lesson first day we both caught 5 waves each. GREAT! Matt would have kept going but we were tired from paddling so had to quit before we lost focus. The second time we caught 4 - 5 waves but in almost two hours, with a few more wipe outs on the shorter boards. We will be back and Matt will once again have to deal with us two very super stoked beginners! I would recommend Matt for all ages of beginners. His awesome "can do" attitude is brilliant. We texted with him to meet up and make arrangements. Keep in mind if he is in the water he cant answer back right away. I would recommend getting a water shirt or rash guard. Matt will provide one but having one is great especially if you are surfing more than once. Thanks Matt!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank lsl327

Vancouver, Canada
“Great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

Matt took 3 of us out today for an amazing experience. Fun, exciting and exhausting. Highly recommend him.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Paul62271
Seattle, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The Best Lesson You Can Ask For!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

I was really adamant on finding the best quality instruction, for a reasonable price. I had always dreamed of going to Hawaii, and learning how to surf. So when the time finally came, I wanted to make sure I returned home knowing how to surf, and knowing how to surf well.

I couldn’t have made a better choice with Matt and his surf school. My first lesson, I stood up 10/10 times. Even with four other surf students, we were all rotated efficiently, so that every single one of us had plenty of waves to catch. Matt was extremely friendly, fun, and encouraging, and could really read the waves well (which I found was critical when learning how to surf).

Needless to say, my first lesson went fabulous. But it was during this time, with other groups of students and surf instructors all around us in the water, I realized what made Matt such an amazing instructor. He makes the students feel so comfortable, and has a very positive, upbeat vibe. You could tell that he is happy to be in the water, and wants to make sure the students are not only catching the waves, but having fun as well.

I went back to surf with Matt the following five days. Each day he was very supportive of my surfing. Not only that, I got to see how he was able to relate to the various students (regardless of age or gender). There was not a day when he was not smiling, and focused on giving the students the best experience possible.

I noticed that most people only take one surf lesson on their trip, then that’s it. For me, it was a little different, as the sole purpose of my trip was to learn how to surf. But whether the lesson was something you can call, “once in a lifetime,” or one that you’ll have the following day, Matt made sure that it was memorable, and that you had a great time. Talk about spreading the ‘aloha spirit,’ and really sharing his love for this amazing sport.

With his constant encouragement and friendliness, you can’t go wrong with Matt and the Blue Rush Surf School!

Visited September 2012
2 Thank seattle w
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

I had taken a surf lesson maybe 10 years ago and was a little nervous about trying surfing again. The instructor Matthew was very supportive and encouraging. I took a group lesson, but it seemed like a personal lesson! I had a fantastic time and even caught a few waves! I would highly recommend Blue Rush Surf School to anyone looking to learn how to surf!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Rebecca B
“Fantastic experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

We found blue rush surf school using tripadvisor. We chose it because we thought we would have a more personal lesson.
It was beyond everything we expected. Matt is a fantastic instructor. We met him at the north shore's starbucks. We got lost reaching there and were late.. We were so sorry about that but Matt greated us so well that we forgot about that instantly! He really is such a cool dude!
Then he took us to the beach and the wonderful experience started. It was really awesome! We were able to surf Waves very quickly thanks to our great instructor! Everything went so smoothly!
We spent two hours of pure pleasure in the blue water of the north shore!
It was so nice that we had to do it twice! Yes, we returned a few days later to have another course with Matt!
He turned me and my girlfriend into real surfers! Yeah we had to keep on doing it when we got back home!
We'll return to blue rush surf school for sure when we return to wonderful Hawaii!
Aloha!