“Best Place to Stay in The Islands”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Haleiwa
Ke Iki Beach Bungalows
California, United States
“Best Place to Stay in The Islands”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Just got back from a great trip to Ke Iki Bungalows. In my opinion it's the best beach in the Islands. Ke Iki Beach is not only big enough to never be crowded (Except the few people whom have no idea what space is) but the sand is amazing. Been going to this place since I was 15 years old, so that would be 31 years and never get tired of that view and water. The place has never looked better and the Bungalows have never been cleaner. The North Shore is definitely more populated but once you drive into Ke Iki Bungalows and look out onto the huge Beach Front all the traffic is forgotten. Already made reservations for next year and looking forward to it. Manager has done great job on the yard and property also has kept it's Aloha feeling it had from the Previous Manager.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank MakanaHut

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed September 14, 2012

The location is great, directly on the beach at Haleiwa. You can borrow beach chairs, boogie boards, floating games. The vegetation outside the room is so beautiful, like a jungle! You can hear the birds in the morning. The place is very quiet, free parking, free washer-dryer to use, well equipped kitchenette, beautiful laina (terasse) with table and chairs, and even a rope to gang your drying clothes. The room is very clean, decoration is very "Hawaiian style". We liked it a lot, and we surely recommend it to anyone who stays on Oahu's north shore! It's a little paradise! The price is very reasonable: 150$/night for 2 bedroom cottage with 40$ cleaning fee. It's the only place in town that would accept only 2 night stay.

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank GenC1980
Huntingdon. UK
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I would like to reply to the comments from the lady and her wedding. I can understand her frustrations, and understand she wanted everything really special. But in defence of Greg and the resort, she was being unrealistic to expect to 'take over' a place and not to have her music etc impact on others living in the area in adjoining properties. The Bungalows don't 'own' the beach and can't stop people coming and going, although perhaps Greg could 'police' the area better. We have had these issues when staying ourselves. Perhaps some of the issues people had with their guests is that not all the places are the same, and perhaps some were put out that you had graded them not to be important enough to have a sea view bungalow.

Yes, there are bugs. This is the tropics. I don't speak for Greg. What I think this all stems from is people's expectations.

To book a place for a wedding without having actually visited yourself is, I suspect, a crazy idea. Greg is not perfect. The place is.

We return for a fourth trip in January 2013.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DavidLongman
South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I recently had my wedding at Ke Iki Beach Bungalows. Most of my guests rented out the bungalows. First, the view and property are great. Previous reviews are definitely correct about that. Our difficulties with the experience stemmed from the manager of the property. Previous reviews I had read of brides who had their wedding there had warned that he was disorganized and we certainly found that to be the case. We rented the bungalows >1 year in advance and he said he would put a hold on all of the bungalows. Later when we called back to ensure they were still reserved he said one of them was not available and he had told us this before-this was a lie and likely due to the fact that he had double booked and we were the ones to miss out on the bungalow. The bungalows were rustic but acceptable, I really enjoyed them but some of my guests were not-some of them found ants in the kitchen, the showers stopped up and the bungalows weren't very secure. Normally this wouldn't matter as all of our guests had rented the entirety of bungalows (but the one mentioned above) but during our stay there were several vagrants sleeping on the hammocks or outside in the common areas. Also, even though we rented out the majority of the bungalows, there were always random people parking in the limited parking spaces or walking through the bungalows-the bungalows are advertised as "private" which I didn't think the manager enforced. The rules that he did enforce strictly was quiet time. If you are staying here, be aware that quiet time starts at 10PM. One night a group of my friends were up past ten and got a knock on the door at 10:15 saying they were too loud. You can hear quite a bit through the walls between the bungalows and my sisters family was staying right next to them in the attached bungalow with 3 small children and 2 adults and I asked them later if they bothered them-they never woke up from their sleep. The main thing that was an inconvenience was the cut off time was also in place for our wedding reception. Greg did not tell us about the cut off time and when I confronted him he said, "well in my defense most people ask what the cut off time is" (yes, partly my fault because I didn't ask but was busy in my residency program and planning a wedding from a far). There is no mention of quiet time or a cut off time ANYWHERE on their website which I relied on mostly during my planning. So I had booked all my vendors, paid all my vendors to be there until 11pm and he would not budge at all. Be aware that CUTOFF TIME IS 10 PM IN THE SUMMER AND 9PM IN THE WINTER. We paid a "reception fee" to rent the patios which our whole group had been using all week. I guess when we originally booked, I thought there was a separate area but there was not. You will pay 1-2 grand just to rent the area you have been renting all week. Planning a wedding is stressful enough but when wrenches get thrown in your plan 2 days before your event, it skyrockets. Luckily my other vendors were very understanding and helpful (5 stars for Catering Connection and DJ Kevo). I'm not usually a negative person, but the experience at Ke Iki was disappointing-especially when reading the reviews. I think if we had just stayed there for a family reunion or something of that nature, it would have been a much more pleasant experience. Much of mine and my families complaints involved the manager who was difficult to deal with and had an extremely odd affect. I would strongly consider choosing another location for your wedding.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank Tina S
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed for a MONTH and we enjoyed EVERY MINUTE of our stay. Greg makes you feel like a guest in his home.

This Bungalow facility has the BEST ACCOMMODATIONS you are ever going to find on the North Shore. It is incredibly hard to find a nice place to stay without mortgaging your home to do it. Turtle Bay Resort has NOTHING compared to this place. It is a 5 minute walk to a FABULOUS local Grocery store that even has a Starbucks inside it. It is 15 minutes from the famous surfer town Haliewa (that has all the shopping, and incredible restaurants you would need or want) , 5 minutes from Turtle Cove (where you will see dozens of sea turtles swimming and resting on shore), 5 minutes from Sharks Cove which has cliff jumping and super fun snorkelling), 30 minutes from the Polynesian Cultural Centre (FABULOUS Cultural experience with the most amazing evening show and Prime Dining), 45 minutes from the Busy and beautiful Waikiki (for more shopping and dining then you could have time for).

The facility is GORGEOUS and landscaped so beautifully. The facility manager has put countless hours maintaining the luster and beauty of the grounds and every day you see him trimming and primping and watering. The beach is right outside the door and you can see the ocean crash against the shoreline all day long. On any day you will only see a maximum of a dozen other people on this beach. It is so remotely private and difficult for the public to access, so it feels like your very own private beach.

No need to buy extra lounge chairs, or boogie boards, or snorkel gear, because Greg will get you anything you need from the stash of equipment and things that previous guests have left behind. He stores it all behind the bungalows and you can help yourself to all of it.

While we were there, we got to witness three weddings. Greg was helpful to the couples and their families and went out of his way to do all the little extras for them, including building a bamboo alter and attaching greenery from the facility to make it look extra pretty. With all that said, Greg was also very cognoscente of the fact that we were there and not part of the wedding and perhaps inconvenienced by all the extra activity and people...HE ACTUALLY came to see us and GAVE US MONEY to go out for dinner at Haleiwa. WHO DOES THAT???

This place was amazing and we have already re-booked for two years from now. BOOK EARLY...because this place fills up fast and it is almost impossible to get in with less than a years notice!

Room Tip: The Ocean front rooms have the most AMAZING VIEWS EVER! All the rooms have nice furniture and cumfy...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank dsamos
Mohave Valley, Arizona
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My son and I take yearly trips to Oahu, normally renting a camping van. This time "again in the van" came across this property. North Shore is very limited in places to stay, there is a hostal down the road but eeek. Whiped the camping van in the property and ran into Greg the manager, he gladly gave us a tour of an available unit, he quoted a reasonable price and we enjoyed 3 days on the property, great beach, beautiful grounds, well kept and everything you need in the unit. yes there is some locals that stray through the property to use the beach, Just be aware and secure your items, greg does everything he can to insure your security. We will be back, the days of the camping van are over.

Room Tip: Why pay more for a beach front, all units are steps aways.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Funigun
Penn Valley, California
Reviewed August 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed in the Orchid Bungalow in March 2012. We were only 40 feet from the beach where we spent a lot of our time sitting on the beach and searching for Puka Shells. The sound of the waves sang us to sleep and the beautiful ocean view welcomed us to the new day. We walked on the beach and watched beautiful sunsets and whales breaching from our porch. Our bungalow had everything we needed and it was tastefully decorated. The grounds are lush and tropical. Our host, Greg was helpful and very knowledgeable about the island and activities.
Although we spent much of our time enjoying the Ke Iki experience, we saw many of the islands sites as day trips and all were short drives. We visited Pearl Harbor, The Polynesian Cultural Center, Kualoa Ranch, The Dole Plantation and just seeing "off the beaten path" sites. There are many great restaurants close by as well as Foodland and Starbucks within walking distance.
We plan to come again in 2013 and bring our family.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haleiwa
Courtyard by Marriott Oahu North Shore
#1 of 1 in Sunset Beach
Tiki Moon Villas
Tiki Moon Villas
#1 of 2 in Laie

Been to Ke Iki Beach Bungalows? Share your experiences!