“Wonderful Trip!”

North Shore Catamaran Charters
Reviewed March 9, 2013

North Shore Catamaran was one of the highlights of our Oahu vacation. The crew was hilarious and seemed to enjoy it as much as we did. We saw numerous whales up close and could even hear them through the water. It was amazing. Only cons were that the directions weren't great and we had a little trouble finding them and there wasn't actually a seat to sit on. We are young though, and it didn't seem to be a problem. Would recommend them to anyone booking a whale watch cruise.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I am not sure I would recommend this boat ride for anything other than whale watching during the migration season. Whale watching season in Hawaii generally runs from late Nov through March, more or less. I have been wanting to see the whales since I moved to Oahu last July, so when I had friends visiting in Feb. from the mainland, I saw a Groupon for this boat tour and booked it! The boat is a catamaran, which I personally like, but it was for sure a bit old. The captain and first mate both appeared young, but the captain was very knowledgeable about the whales. The first mate was rather new to the sailing thing it seemed as he actually broke a line. The nice thing about the boat is that it is rather small, so there were under 20 people. They provide bottles of water and soda, and there is boat bathroom on board.

As for the the boat ride, it was windy with lots of waves so a bit choppy. Thankfully no one got sick! I love being on the water and in boats, so I was fine, but a sunnier day with less wind would have been lovely. Oh, well you can't always get the weather you want.

Regardless of the weather, we did see whales!!! It was really awesome. One of my friends saw one jump out of the water, and we all saw the tail of one. We only saw a few, but it was worth it. The whales migrate from Alaska every year, which is about 3,000 miles one way. The come to the Hawaiian waters to mate and give birth. The captain said they don't eat at all while in the tropical, Hawaiian waters. On our trip, we also saw a shark sort of following far behind our boat. I am pretty sure this was due to the tuna the captain caught, and the blood flowing into the water from the tuna. The captain assured me he was going to eat the tuna. It was a beautiful fish and definitely made the trip rather interesting.

Like I said, this is worth the cost to see the whales, but more worth it if you get a discount ticket from Groupon or Living Social. If you are visiting Hawaii, I recommend getting the Groupon emails for Honolulu because they really do have great deals on various attractions. If you live here on Oahu like I do, I would say do a whale watching tour at least once if you like being on the ocean. Overall it was fun!

1  Thank Nicole G
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We went on an afternoon cruise with North Shore Catamaran and had a great time. We pulled out of the harbour and saw a breech right away. For the next 2 hrs we saw sightings and the crew was fabulous and very generous with their knowledge. We went as a family and our 3 boys loved it. Thanks guys.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Ok, you can go back until you are stoked for free...we did not. We did see whales. One breech and several flukes but once that was done the captain just stood around and chit chatted and did not pursue any other spottings. It was cool the first hour but then it was a wind whipped sit around for the last 1.5 hours. The day before we met a lady that had a great cruise with spottings, left and right. She had photos of full breeches and double flukes. Maybe ours was just a bad one. It is a gamble but not one I would be willing to take again.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Within the first forty minutes we saw a bunch of bottle nose dolphins and some humpback whales including a mother and baby. Don, the owner of the boat was our friendly and knowledgable guide, assisted by a good-looking, fit,tattooed, and personable young man. The second half of the trip was pretty much of a wash out in terms of animal sightings, but we were entertained by recordings Dan had made of whale songs with his own hydrophone. ( He said he is waiting for a new hydrophone.). The catamaran was very stable and comfortable. There was little wind the day we were out and although the sail was hoisted and used as an auxiliary to the engine for a little while, it was soon taken down. I thought the cruise a good value and we were told that we could do another cruise with him during our vacation for half price, if we were so inclined.