“Awesome beach and not real crowded”
Review of Sunset Beach Park

$420.00*
Luxury Convertible Tour to Oahu's North Shore
Ranked #3 of 59 things to do in Haleiwa
Reviewed June 2, 2012

This is an awesome beach and it isn't very crowded. We went to this beach on a recent visit to Oahu. On our tour of the North shore we stopped at several beached and sat around for a while enjoying the fresh air and the scenery. Alot of the beaches along the North Shore have restrooms and are pretty well kept. There are a lot of secluded beaches when you circle the island, but Sunset Beach Parkis one of the nicest.

1  Thank waynelauld

Reviewed April 2, 2012

I grew up on Oahu and take my kids back to visit almost every year. We always go up to Sunset Beach. If you don't like the crowd and action of Waikiki Beach and want a more peaceful beach to relax on, Sunset Beach is the beach for you! The sand and waves are perfect for small children during most of the summer. If there are 20 more people on that beach while you are there, then that's crowded!

Pack an ice chest full of snacks and beverages because there really isn't a place where you can get that unless you drive a few miles.

2  Thank MichelleGrenier
Reviewed February 4, 2012

We had the good fortune to lease the estate of the famous artist Christian Reese Lassen, during our stay. The estate located on Sunset Beach Park, was also featured in the movie, "The Big Bounce," with Owen Wilson and Morgan Freeman. We had the thrill of experiencing this magnificent beach and all its glory every day.

We found the beach to be less than moderately crowded. Our backyard gave us direct access to the beach and we were quite surprised to discover how SOFT the sand was. The drawback that comes with sand this soft is how difficult it was to walk on the beach! Your feet will sink in the soft sand and will provide you with a very strenuous work-out!!! We had mad respect and admiration for the morning joggers along this beach with their dogs.

There is a landmark palm tree at the park's entrance that leans-out longingly towards the ocean, which is a popular place for a tourist photo-op. Like so many other visitors, the first thing I wanted to do when I saw this leaning palm tree from our backyard was to climb-up on it, so I could sit on its wayward trunk to have my picture taken. After a somewhat laborious walk in the soft sand, I noticed a small sign as I approached the tree that said, "100 year-old palm tree - please stay off." So I posed beside it instead. Though some visitors either ignored the sign or didn't see it and took a seat on it anyway...please refrain from this temptation so the landmark palm will be around another 100 years for all to enjoy.

The beautiful water at this beach is safe for all to enter during the summer months. However, in the winter it is the home to the famous Triple-Crown surfing competition and unless you're a pro that can handle upwards of 50 feet waves, DO NOT GO IN THE WATER!!! All in all, Sunset Beach Park is home to one of the most beautiful beaches in the world and you should not pass up the opportunity to visit here.

3  Thank SeaCracken
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Absolutely beautiful and great snorkeling you can do on your own. We saw tons of amazing fish and a few turtles.

1  Thank woohoo1144
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I didn't have enough guts to soak myself into Pacific Ocean, but ocean view from this beach was awesome. Big waves looked actually like one of pirate movie or something - very exciting to watch even waves... Surfers also added another fun ellement to wave watchers. Some were very skillful to go under or top of big waves, some were totally goofed but so energetic and wild. Just another way of having fun in relaxing Hawaii...