“Sunset Beach is Sensational!”
Review of Sunset Beach Park

$420.00*
Luxury Convertible Tour to Oahu's North Shore
Ranked #3 of 60 things to do in Haleiwa
Reviewed February 4, 2012

We had the good fortune to lease the estate of the famous artist Christian Reese Lassen, during our stay. The estate located on Sunset Beach Park, was also featured in the movie, "The Big Bounce," with Owen Wilson and Morgan Freeman. We had the thrill of experiencing this magnificent beach and all its glory every day.

We found the beach to be less than moderately crowded. Our backyard gave us direct access to the beach and we were quite surprised to discover how SOFT the sand was. The drawback that comes with sand this soft is how difficult it was to walk on the beach! Your feet will sink in the soft sand and will provide you with a very strenuous work-out!!! We had mad respect and admiration for the morning joggers along this beach with their dogs.

There is a landmark palm tree at the park's entrance that leans-out longingly towards the ocean, which is a popular place for a tourist photo-op. Like so many other visitors, the first thing I wanted to do when I saw this leaning palm tree from our backyard was to climb-up on it, so I could sit on its wayward trunk to have my picture taken. After a somewhat laborious walk in the soft sand, I noticed a small sign as I approached the tree that said, "100 year-old palm tree - please stay off." So I posed beside it instead. Though some visitors either ignored the sign or didn't see it and took a seat on it anyway...please refrain from this temptation so the landmark palm will be around another 100 years for all to enjoy.

The beautiful water at this beach is safe for all to enter during the summer months. However, in the winter it is the home to the famous Triple-Crown surfing competition and unless you're a pro that can handle upwards of 50 feet waves, DO NOT GO IN THE WATER!!! All in all, Sunset Beach Park is home to one of the most beautiful beaches in the world and you should not pass up the opportunity to visit here.

3  Thank SeaCracken

Reviewed February 2, 2012

Absolutely beautiful and great snorkeling you can do on your own. We saw tons of amazing fish and a few turtles.

1  Thank woohoo1144
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I didn't have enough guts to soak myself into Pacific Ocean, but ocean view from this beach was awesome. Big waves looked actually like one of pirate movie or something - very exciting to watch even waves... Surfers also added another fun ellement to wave watchers. Some were very skillful to go under or top of big waves, some were totally goofed but so energetic and wild. Just another way of having fun in relaxing Hawaii...

Reviewed January 13, 2012

The waves are the pull to this beach - it's a surfer beach.

Reviewed January 13, 2012

any visit to the island of Oahu must include a visit to the north shore. so different from the south. ocean's power and beauty cannot be compared.