“Excellent for Vegetarians & convenient if you are driving through North Shore of Oahu”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Opal Thai - MOVED

Opal Thai
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Cash Only, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Full service BYOB
Silicon Valley, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

My wife and I ate at this Thai Truck (called Opal) in late June 2014. We were driving around the island on vacation, and this Thai Truck was conveniently located right at the side of the main highway. It doesn't show up in some guidebooks because this is a new location for it.

At first, I was skeptical if the food would be any good or if they would be able to accomodate our vegetarian preferences properly given that this literally a stationary food truck.

Our experience was WOW! Fantastic food and service. This place is better than most other Thai sit down restaurants I've eaten at in the Islands and is competitive with great Thai restaurants anywhere on the mainland. And the menu is quite large -- and they are able to do some customizing too.

We ordered Pad Khee Mao with tofu, and another dish that was not exactly on the menu, but when we mentioned it, the owner new exactly what to make: garlic tofu. The garlic tofu was absolutely fantastic. The Pad Khee Mao was very tasty, but medium spicy was a little too hot for our tastes -- next time, we would just want to order mild and I bet it will be perfect for our taste buds.

We were assured no oyster sauce or any other non-veg ingredients would be used. The owner, who takes orders, immediately understood our concerns. That was really nice and made things so much easier.

It takes a little time to get the food ready, but there are picnic benches you can sit on while you wait. The food is very fresh, so its worth the small wait.

The portions are huge -- the owner made it sound like they were small, but one dish could have fed us both really well. We are nevertheless glad we got 2 so we had 2 different dishes to try. We took the rest "to go", which the owner kindly packed nicely for us.

If we're in Oahu again, we would love to come back and eat here even if we were staying on the Waikiki side (a 1+ hour drive even when traffic is low) -- it was THAT good. Bravo to the owner for great service, flexibility, and most importantly, great taste!

Note: TripAdvisor is asking rating on romance & special occassions -- since this is a truck on the side of the road, it would be dishonest for me to rate these two attributes high (and these are really irrelevant for a food truck). But, don't let that discourage you - the FOOD IS OUTSTANDING and its very convenient for those taking the drive on the North Shore. That's what counts.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank SiliconValleyRamMan

• Korean first
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Had a blast at Opal Thai!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

We had a group of 6, and went to lunch at Opal Thai after seeing the Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives episode, and also after reading the umpteen positive reviews. We paired this lunch with an afternoon tour of the Dole Pineapple Plantation, since these locations aren't too far from each other. Four of us in the family really love Thai food back at home, and the other 2 (my parents) had limited previous experience with it. I had forewarned everyone that the restaurant would be small, and that we probably wouldn't be able to actually order off the menu, since the owner likes to make his own recommendations. All of us went into this knowing it would be a different type of experience, and we were open minded about visiting this restaurant. What resulted was an absolutely delicious and fun meal. We met the owner's son (Leo, I believe) who was one smart, charming, and helpful little guy. We were given menus to look at, but just as expected, the owner came to our table, collected the menus, interviewed us, and ordered us a variety of foods that he thought would be appropriate. The only thing I really mentioned was that I wanted to try the wings. Several dishes came out, one more delicious than the next. We loved it all, even if we didn't quite know what we were eating. At one point, my mom actually asked the owner about what was in one of the dishes, and the owner coyly responded "elephant trunk". We all laughed, and in fact, he never did give much of a clue as to what we were eating there. It added to the fun and adventure of it all. This is one meal we will truly never forget. Order the Thai tea if you can, because I really enjoyed it! My advice is to go there hungry, open minded, and ready for something new and crazy. It was really yummy. It's cash only, so bring your wallet. Also, we didn't worry in the slightest about what the cost would end up being, but if you are pinching pennies, I could see where you might be uptight about the food being brought to your table that you didn't even order. You have to ignore all that and be up for the adventure. Trust me, it's worth it. I don't think I've ever actually been to a restaurant in my life that was more of a personal experience, with the owner shaking our hands and interacting with us multiple times. Kudos to Opal Thai for an unforgettable lunch on the North Shore of Oahu!!!

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Kellost
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“5th time still a charm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

Inevitably, continued high expectations will be met with disappointment. After 5 trips to Opal Thai in the past year and a half, we are still waiting for that disappointment. This place continues to be one of the best dining experiences on Oahu. Best if you don't bother with the menu - submit to the "interview" by the owner, who will then bring your table what you ought to have ordered but didn't yet know it. Doesn't matter if you're a mix of vegetarians/meatatarians/piscatarians, spicy vs. mild, or even the odd peanut allergy thrown in, the whole table will be satisfied. This is not a fast-food place with fast-food prices or a fast-food menu, and if you come with those expectations you will be disappointed and miss out on, as I said, the best dining experience on Oahu. Well worth the drive to and from Waikiki or anywhere else.

• Visited July 2014
Kansas City, Kansas
“Think Twice, before going if you expect to actually eat and receive what you ordered.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

Waited about 30 min for table of three and a cute little boy comes outside and tells you how he likes to work on his birthday. Really Sweet. The menu has prices and our table of three ordered 2 Pad Thai /shrimp 1 med spicy- 1 not spicy and Pineapple chicken 2 x$11.50 and $9.95 = $32.95 Here's where the Bait and switch will catch you off guard. A order comes to your table with some sort of fried potatoes/ appetizer and you say, we didn't order that. The waitress replays the owner want to to experience it. Your order starts arriving and you see it doesn't look like your order. You try to get attention and waitress looks away. Finally you try what is set before you. The pineapple chicken has no chicken. The Pad Thai has no shrimp, no thai chili pepper or peanuts. Another plate has rice with a side of curried potatoes carrots or something. As you trying to say not what you wanted the owner/order taker runs by saying, Family Style. as I am saying didn't get shrimp. Here comes 4 shrimp in a side dish, Don't care and don't want them separate. So at this point you have tried the food still wishing for your original order. What happen is next is the shocker. A Bill that should have been $32.95 arrives for $53.98. Waitress get owner, I so NO. He says family style and I not taking less than $43.98. Even if you happen to like some of the food you are really about to lose your lunch, as you make yourself pay much more than you budgeted. If you are the personality that doesn't set taste buds on what you order and don't mind if $20.00 bucks is added to you bill you may enjoy the food. If not Run don't walk and eat somewhere else.

• Visited July 2014
9 Thank Lifeis2good2stopnow
“Our new favorite place on the island! ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

I had seen opals featured on diners drive ins and dives and was dying to try it! They did not disappoint! We made sure to get their early around 11 and didn't have to wait on a table but a line did form
Pretty quickly. The entire family was very welcoming when we walked in. Opal asked us what we liked and made us 3 dishes that were wonderful! We had heard that the cheesecake was wonderful so we ordered a piece and it was seriously the best cheesecake I have ever had! But the best part of our meal was when opals young son came up to our table to shake our hands and tell us a joke he was adorable!