“Best Thai I can remember”
Review of Opal Thai - MOVED

Opal Thai
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Full service BYOB
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We just stumbled on this place - we had what i now see is usual 40 mins wait and ordering routine from Opal. All I can say is it was great - I gave him some signals when he was ordering for us - pad Thai for teenagers, duck for husband etc - he took all the cues and gave us a magnificent meal - best we've had on Hawaii and the best Thai I can remember. The only thing that jarred with us was his very abrupt, rude? way of talking to his staff. Opal was very charming with customers but I suspect could have got better out of his staff by extending the same courtesy to them. But fabulous meal. One of the best I've eaten.

1  Thank jet g

Reviewed January 22, 2014

We had a great time at the restaurant. The owner took our menu's and ordered for us after asking us our top 5 choices of Thai food we liked. He brought out 3 appetizers and 3 entrees and it was plenty for all four of us at eating there. My favorite was the fried tofu with fried basil on top. It was excellent. He was super nice and you can bring your own beer so we went next door to Long's and bought a six pack, and he chilled the extra's for us until we were ready to eat. Fun experience and would definitely go back there again!

Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have traveled to the North Shore several times on vacation, but this was our first time at Opal. The place was packed! We were told we'd have about a 30 minute wait for a table. 45 to 50 minutes later, we were about to leave. Opal appeared outside and greeted each group of guests to let us know how long till we would be seated. About 5 minutes later, he escorted us inside to our table and gave us menus. The young couple seated next to us assured us although we had menus, Opal would decide what we were going to eat. Opal ran through a list of ingredients (cilantro, onion, garlic, shrimp, chicken, duck, etc.) asked for our likes, dislikes and any food allergies and made sure the beer we brought with us was kept cold until we were ready to enjoy it with our meal. Our food arrived and it was delicious! The service was great, too! We concluded it was worth the wait, but next time we would order to go.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

It's not a food truck, for starters - it's a sort of little strip mall across from a grocery store and next to a sports bar.

It's not the absolute single best Thai I've ever had in my life (I married a Thai-food-obsessive, so my experience is far more extensive than I'd ever wanted it to be), but it's in the top 5. The environment is what makes the experience, though. There's a wait, because it's a small place. So you're standing outside on the covered porch, breathing the delicious north shore air and Thai food scent, and everyone starts chatting with each other. You'll meet people with great stories, tourists, military, locals. If the wait gets a little long, you can pop into the little sports bar next door and grab a beer to sip while you wait.

Then, once you're seated, the owner comes up, finds out what you've liked and not liked in the past, and - if you're open to it - "prescribes" the dish of his that he thinks you'll like the most. It's fun and he's pretty accurate.

They do use fingerbowls as water cups, which threw us at first, but just added to the overall fun, irreverent, extroverted ambiance.

Stop off at Matsumoto for some shaved ice on the way out. Great place to make an evening of it. Definite thumbs up!

1  Thank R. D
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Planned our trip to the North Shore with a stop here for dinner. First mistake... do not look for a food truck and address is incorrect. Try calling the phone...nothing. Stopped and asked and we were directed to a unit only to find it closed for the holidays with no indication of when they will open again. Suggest owner updates profile of business...perhaps Yelp had better info

3  Thank MaryAnnS1958